Malware prevention and wireless network security

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

Situation:
    Three wired desktops and one wireless laptop networked behind a wireless/wired netgear router, which is behind the dsl modem. Three of the four machines are running xp home, the other machine is xp pro. All machines configured in admin mode with file and printer sharing enabled across the board. Yes, I recognize there is risks with file sharing enabled, but it pretty much negates the benefits of having a LAN without it turned on for us.

Each machine runs the free version avg for virus protection, and for the most part we seem to have little trouble with viruses. Malware or adware (don't know the proper name) is another story however. Each machine has the free versions of adaware, and spybot on them. I run these two programs about once a week, or once every two weeks and there is always a list of 25-50 instances of some sort of adware stuff on the machine. I have not checked lately but I suspect my son and my wife are far less disciplined at running these two programs on their machines on any sort of regular basis.

1. I am assuming that with file sharing turned on, each of the machines will share all this malware stuff?

2. How is malware/adware stuff picked up? Is it a result of website visits?

3. I assume the hard firewall of the router/modem does nothing to prevent malware from getting on the machines?

4. What can I do to PREVENT this stuff from getting on the machines in the first place?? Adaware and spybot seem to have software you can buy. Is this preventative software? And, would I have to purchase copies for each of the four machines?

Wireless network security is likely another area where we have been negligent. We use a netgear wgr614 router which has both wired ports and wireless.

1. How do I tell if the wireless network is vulnerable? How do I tell if others in the neighborhood are using our network?

2. What specifically, should I do to secure our wireless network??

Thanks
    Wayne

2. prism

prism more ammo

some of those programs alert to cookies. are your instances NOT cookies?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I bet most of what those programs find in those numbers are cookies.Adaware and Spybot are pretty good but also "find" things that might not be dangerous but flags them because those [rograms consider them no benefit to your system.I bit stronger malware scanner is AVG's Antispyware.This is an excellent acanner and the spyware blocking goes away in two weeks the scanner remains free.

http://filehippo.com/download_ewido/

Here's a spyware blocking program but it doesn't block the cookies it's nice to have if you insist on using Internet Explorer.

http://filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

5. Wayne02

Wayne02

Here are a couple from this mornings scan:

obj[11]=IECache Entry : Cookiewne[email protected]/

obj[1]=MRU FileReference : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\recent\2a Agencies.lnk

obj[14]=IECache Entry : [email protected]/

So is this bad stuff or not?

The cookies look like some sort of marketing/add tracking type thing.

The MRU stuff looks like references to documents I used earlier in the week. Why does this type of thing show up in the spybot/adaware scans?

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

The cookies are usually harnless but not always and they do use a slight bit of resources.The MRU is not a security risk but Adaware removes it to "cover" your PC use and internet history.You could block all cookies or have them deleted.If you block all of them some websites/webpages may not work for you.

7. Wayne02

Wayne02

Ok, thanks guys.