Malfunction causes ND into officer’s leg

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HALO51, May 16, 2018.

1. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Not saying it did not happen the way as described...but I find it hard for said pin to back out far enough for it to catch on the holster just because of the trigger guard configuration. I mean talk about the perfect storm. Seems just about impossible. Also he must have had a holster made out of cloth not leather or kydex to catch said pin if it really happened. Where the pin is located he had to be pushing hard to make it discharge just because of leverage of pin location. Honestly sounds like operator error to me and trying to save face.

However just glad he is going to recover regardless how it happened.

Old Buzzard 74 likes this.
  2. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

What? you don't think triggers ever pull themselves?

MSPR Ret., G19 fan, MNBud and 2 others like this.

3. Old Buzzard 74

Old Buzzard 74

That would be crazy talk! I wish I could like it more than once!

4. Lil

Lil

What's the official procedure for reviewing such an incident, how many might weigh-in? Interesting to hear conclusions drawn by an independent or two and Glock after inspection. This independent says user error.

5. ChrisMD

ChrisMD

The police I know pay little attention to their weapons. It stays in the holster until they have to qualify, usually no cleanings or lube for 6 months to a year until they qualify, and some not even then. My dad was a case in point of this. I hade to breakdown his Glock for him, clean it and lube it, because he was to lazy and hated semi autos. Another fella let his Sig 226 get so dirty I had to soak it in hoppes and beat it with a rubber mallet to get it to open up.

Most of us as gun people pay a lot more attention to our weapons. And I will repeat myself yet again, anything mechanical can fail. Mr. Murphy and all that jazz.

MNBud likes this.
  6. Old Buzzard 74

Old Buzzard 74

Samefull, and as risky as not doing a preflight check. Glad to hear you do the maintenance for some of those that serve and protect.

RussP likes this.
  7. ChrisMD

ChrisMD

I gladly perform maintenance for anyone, especially for LE. Being as I have not spoken to my dad in over 3 years, I would bet money that his Glock has not been cleaned or lubed in that time frame.

Old Buzzard 74 likes this.
  8. timmay

timmay

It might. One of mine did.

9. NoStress

NoStress

Had he engaged the manual safety that would not have happened. A grip safety DOES make a pistol more drop proof. Prevents firing if trigger catches on something (branch, etc...)WHILE it is falling or after it has hit the ground but is sliding along. If it is engaged, the manual safety on a 1911 DOES make the pistol more FOOL proof and allows for more operator error.

n2g likes this.
  10. HALO51

HALO51

The Monday morning quarterbacking, hindsight and people claiming to be experts in this thread & none of them know the facts and all are ASSUMING/speculating & drawing conclusions without the facts is unbelievable.
    This Dept carries Sig P226 as a duty weapon and were testing out the Glock 17.5 OEM with a Glock rep on site. I know many officers on this Dept & have spoken to 2 officers that were on site when this occurred.

Jeff S. and Lawdog3 like this.
  11. rogn

rogn real dogs

Simple moopoo.

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

That may be the only info available, but it's interesting there was no comment from the Glock rep. However, in the transportation industry, when there is an equipment failure, the first thing is to try and re-create the failure. That won't be done by the PD involved, but I am going to take of my 6 G17's and try it in a Level III Safariland Raptor. Course it's unknown as to what holster the officer was using and what the actual condition of the officers Glock was.

13. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

And...

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yeah, I don't think so.

He claims the trigger safety pin came out and caught and pulled the trigger. It crossed my mind that if the trigger safety pin (a) was removable and (b) came out that far, it would not be inserted far enough to pull the trigger back.

I'm calling: BS excuse for accidentally shooting himself, because after having time to think about it, he figured he could sue Glock and make a bundle. More likely tried to reholster with his finger on the trigger or his retention strap in the way.

MSPR Ret. likes this.
  15. The Viking

The Viking

Yup the reason I went to the HK P 2000!!

16. HALO51

HALO51

Apparently you need to re-read the article & apparently you know more than the on-site personnel. It wasn’t (he) that stated it. A Dept range officer & rep were on site when this occurred and firearm was inspected on site, inspection of firearm found this pin worked itself out. It’s a tool and situations can & will happen. I’m sure this will be remedied.

MarkCO likes this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

OK, I re-read the article. Can you point out where it says that?

To make it easy, here it is, but it doesn't mention a range officer or "rep" - only the Deputy Chief:

A West Carrollton police officer accidentally shot himself at a Franklin firing range May 4. MARSHALL GORBY/FILE
    Glock glitch: Local police officer’s accidental shooting blamed on gun
    22 hours ago
    By Nick Blizzard, Staff Writer

A West Carrollton police officer’s accidental shooting of himself at a Franklin firing range is being attributed to his gun malfunctioning, authorities said.

The May 4 firing range accident occurred after a safety feature on the officer’s Glock failed, said West Carrollton Deputy Police Chief David Wessling.

“There’s a pin in the triggers of Glocks that keeps the safety in place, and the pin had actually worked itself out to the side of the gun to the point that it was sticking out far enough that when he stuck (the gun) in the holster, the pin caught the edge of the holster and pulled the trigger back,” Wessling said.

“That’s nothing that you would ever expect to happen,” he said.

The officer was wounded in the calf area and in the foot on his right side, Wessling said.

“It’s going to take a little bit of time, but he’ll fully recover from it,” Wessling added.

His identity has not been released but has been he described as a veteran of at least 10 years. The officer is not expected return for a couple of months, Wessling said.

18. HALO51

HALO51

Ez
    Seriously, look at your statement full of innuendos based on your wild assumptions. You said “he had time to think about it” Really?
    “He claims the trigger pin came out” Really?
    “Wants to sue and gets money”

The officer didn’t come to this conclusion as you are implying, his superiors did, as well as “he didn’t come up with this story” the gun was being inspected as he was on his way to the hospital. Where did you come up with he wants to sue and get money. Your wild imagination is I must say, entertaining to say the least.

19. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

If I was Glock, I would muzzle the Glock rep and any other statements from Glock. Let only the lawyers speak, and do as little talking as possible!

As for the accident, from what we know it is really tough to speculate. It is clearly stated the pin worked itself out of position. If that was false, I doubt it would have been printed (especially if a Glock rep was on site). So I will tentatively accept that as fact.

How it fired? We don't know what kind of holster was used. What if someone brought a holster from home while working with the guns, and it was old (flabby/flappy), deformed (pushed into trigger guard area), or was such that a pin could easily grab it?

I don't know anything, but somehow a pin walked, and may have contributed to an AD/ND. I am not letting the officer totally off the hook (re-holstering is dangerous!), but I am also not assuming it is impossible for a Glock to do this. I don't think we would normally anticipate this sort of failure...

20. harold63

harold63

It doesn't matter if the pin drifted out or not...it's a ND cause Stupid didn't keep an eye on his gun. It's just like people who don't care for their cars, then something breaks and it's the builder's fault. I can't even think of a sit where a backed out pin would pull the trigger when holstering. Not only that, that pin they are talking about isn't long enough to do what 'Stupid' claims.

Moral of the story.....never take the blame when you can put it on someone else.

Old Buzzard 74 and HappyG like this.