close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making your own dummy rounds?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KiloBravo, Apr 5, 2010.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I was just sitting here and thinking about ordering some more snap caps or dummy rounds in 9, 380, and 45. However, I was wondering if I purchased a cheap bullet puller, could I make my own???

I figured that making 5 or 6 in each caliber that way would be way less expensive than buying snapcaps. I thought it might also more closley resemble a live round with the weight and the way it feeds in the gun and everything.

Has anybody else tried this and how did it work?

2. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

This is common practice for malfunction drills...load a few...dud rounds in each mag and you are good to go.

I still like snap caps for dry fire practice.

3. KiloBravo

That is awesome. Do you think using just regular dummied live rounds would also work?

I have another dumb question too now that I think of it...What could I use to recrimp the bullet back into the casing after dumping out the powder? :dunno:

4. XDRoX

XDRoX

With a puller you could a bullet apart easily, but you might have a hard time getting the bullet back in the case without a press.
    I have a few dummy rounds that I made. They are just empty cases without primers with a bullet. When I load I can hide one in a pile of 10 rounds and load my mag not knowing where it got placed. That way I can test my flinch.

If you want something that can prevent dry fire, then my method wouldn't help, as I leave the primers out. I have seen instructions online that use some kind of silicone caulking from home depot for the firing pin to hit.

With a glock, I wouldn't worry about dry firing it. I don't think you could get the bullet back in though if you pulled one without a press.

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

You might be able to just hammer the bullet back in the case. I don't think you would have to necessarily have to recrimp it since you didn't expand the mouth. The hard part would be getting the bullet back in the case. If you could get it started, then maybe you could hammer it in.

6. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Just want to add one thing. Don't dump the powder out and leave the primer in because the primer will get the bullet about half way down the barrel. It will take considerable force to extract the bullet from the barrel. I suggest you pull the bullet, dump the powder, put the case in the gun and use the primer, and then insert the bullet for the "snap cap".

7. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

This too

8. XDRoX

XDRoX

Good point. I assumed the OP knew that, but as they say, one shouldn't assume.

9. XDRoX

XDRoX

I fired a primer in my garage the other day to test a Luger I just repaired and my ears rang.

10. KiloBravo

I appreciate the input so far. I was kind of thinking something similar. I mean the part about dumping the powder and then then striking the primer while still in the brass before re-inserting the bullet. That way, the firing pin will still have something to hit when I pull the trigger.

I am not overly concerned about dry firing my Glocks, but I do have other firearms as well that I would feel a lot better about using snap caps or something like dummy rounds. I actually like using them in any gun I dry fire with. It just gives me an extra piece of mind, and I don't think it hurts anything by using them. It is just a little added insurance to me.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've made a few just by loading a bullet in a fired case, without depriming. You could add some filler behind it to keep the bullet from getting set back. However, you want to mark them clearly - my answer was to use fired CCI aluminum cases for the dummies.

In Afghanistan one of the 100K a year civilians (MPRI, retired sergeant major) whose sole job was scoring targets and adjusting sights on the rifle range (nobody explained why US soldiers couldn't do that) made some dummy rounds...by taking live M855 ball and drilling a hole in the side to dump the powder out. I didn't even realize he hadn't fired the primers. I told him that, considering my guys couldn't figure out the difference between a shower and a toilet, after having a block of instruction on it, I didn't want them training with dummy rounds that looked real. So he said he wanted to pop the primers - he borrowed a soldier's rifle and started firing the primers of his dummy rounds - yes, when you put a round with a bullet and primer but no powder in the chamber of a rifle, that makes a squib. We hammered it back out with a cleaning rod and asked him not to do that any more.:rolf:

12. KiloBravo

:wow: I hope you were okay! I also hope the bullet did not hit anything important.

13. KiloBravo

:rofl:That is a funny story. I was very focused on reading through it and at anytime, expected somebody was going to get hurt by one of his "dummy rounds." I was happy that was not the case.

I also really like your idea about using aluminum cased ammo to be able to visually know which rounds are for dry fire and which ones to stay away from while not at the range.

14. XDRoX

XDRoX

I have some bullets that I need to pull. I'll try to do it tonight. If I do I'll try to see if I can get the bullets back in without the press. If I can I'll let you know so you know if it works before you buy the puller.

15. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

EDIT- Nevermind.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  16. KiloBravo

That would be awesome! If you have a chance, I sure would be most greatful. It would be so awesome if I could get them back in the brass afterwards. I had not thought about the fact that the case expands a little when fired.

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Yes I have.

I am a reloader. I make dummy rounds for setting up my reloading dies. I fill the primer pocket with liquid gasket. They feed fine.

If you want, you could have a reloader do this for you. But I recommend buying the snap caps. This way you never put a snap cap in thinking it is live ammo, OR put in live ammo when you want to use a snap cap.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

You will have setback.

19. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

What I've done is take a used case and deprime the case and use RTV in the primer pocket for the firing pin to strike. It's a simple way of marking the dummy round and eliminates any concerns about dry firing the gun they are used in. You can if you desire do as mentioned above and add something to the case to simulate the weight of the powder.

20. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Any reloading place should be able to sell you a very inexpensive, hand held, press for loading one at a time. They were very common back 30 years ago for benchrest shooters, who would load as they sat on the range.

If you use fired brass, drill out the primer pocket and epoxy a bit of eraser rubber in the hole. You can then fire all you want without damaging the firing pins. (Using silicon works too, but not as well.)

I used to use machinests dye (red) to color my homemade dummies.