close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making uploaded images directly displayed... possible, problems?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by hy5z, Jan 29, 2004.

1. hy5z

hy5z

Is it possible to make images that users upload from their computers directly displayable when they use the "attach file" option? Clicking "IMG" in the "vB CODE" box and entering a URL allows images to be directly impressed to the page. It's kind of annoying to see that someone has taken the time to show me something but then I have to click on another link to get to it. Is it exploitable? Are there bandwidth issues? Or has it never been addressed?

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Even if it was/is possible, I personally wouldn't want it to load like that; it would make it nearly impossible for me to view certain pages. As a dialup user, any larger images slow the page load quite a bit. I'd certainly like to be able to choose to view certain images without having to wait forever to read the thread, to see if it's even WORTH viewing the images. I don't think I'm alone on this; check any thread with stored-on-the-server images, and you'll see that many of them have not been viewed at the same rate. Of course, images posted earlier in each thread get the most exposure, but even those don't get automatically get the highest view count.

Just my two cents; I understand why it would be an advantage for YOU, but it would be darn frustrating for us "slow" folks. ;) ;f

3. jprj

jprj

What about thumbnail links, will it be acceptable for dialup users? The good side with it, is you'll have an idea of what to see.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Well, I can't speak for ALL dialup users, but my experience would indicate thumbs would be better than full-size images, but still a lot slower than links. It would give you an idea of what the image was about without waiting for the full-size version to load, which would be a plus, but when the threads get long, then it would still drag.