Making slide action smoother...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WVMountaineer, Feb 8, 2010.

1. WVMountaineer

WVMountaineer

I took my concealed carry class yesterday and it was awesome. I learned a lot in the classroom and had fun shooting on the range under the guidance of our instructor. Very cool stuff...

Anyway, he said that he can do an action job on the glock (g27) which would make the trigger pull a little lighter and the slide easier to pull back.

I don't really care about the trigger being easier to pull, but the slide being easier to pull back would benefit my wife i think.

Have any of you ever done this and would it be worth it?

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

sounds like he wants to CUT springs.

I don't believe that would help reliability.

She would be better served by learning how to rack the slide by griping firmly and pushing with the other hand (FINGER OFF TRIGGER OF COURSE)

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Getting a G19 or a G17 would be the only way to lessen the slide's stiffness.
    The 40 S&W and the short slide dictates a stiff recoil spring. No getting around it
    without compromising either the reliability of the Glock or the longivity of the Glock.

Use a lighter spring and it will beat the weapon to death and may incude failures to reliabily feed.

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Lock the slide back without a mag in it.Then, insert a loaded mag and slingshot the slide.There is less resistance on the slide without a mag in the gun.That should make it a little easier to manipulate the slide without messing with the recoil spring.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That's an idea,.......but She will STILL have to get the slide to the rear. :dunno:

6. Dingus

Dingus

Rather than have her try to pull the slide back with her weak hand, have her grasp the slide firmly with her weak hand and push the grip forward with her strong hand. It works.

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

The slide is a lot smoother & easier to pull back on my 17 then my 27. Doesn't really matter to me though.

8. TH237

TH237

Sounds like your instructor might have been referring to polishing the firing pin safety. If so you would notice little if any difference. And it would be better for her to learn how to use the 27 in its stock form rather than modify it to try to fit her.
    Perhaps she needs her own gun to carry, maybe a revolver.

JMO

9. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Tell her to go to this website:

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

If you haven't noticed women are "built" differently than men. Generally, women do not have as much grip strength or upper body strength as men. Some women find the method described at cornered cat their solution.

1. Don't modify the recoil springs for a carry firearm.

2. Don't modify the trigger pull to be lighter for a carry Glock. I do not know of a single expert witness in the field of firearms who makes this recommendation for a Glock.

3. The force required to operate the slide is the same irregardless as to if there is a magazine inserted - however an empty magazine will lock the slide back once the slide is moved far enough "back".

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

shoot to slide lock

drop mag

insert fresh one

pull slide slightly and let go.

to start You could load it for her

11. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Neither should require any work. Particularly in a case like yours. No way I'd let him do that.

12. napp32

napp32

If the slide manipulation is a problem for your wife, it is likely that she will have a similar problem with the felt recoil of the G27. You might want to investigate a different weapon for her. :dunno:

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

Not if the magazine is loaded.

14. mteagle1

mteagle1

Disclaimer!!!! Always teach with a verified unloaded gun first.

I teach a slightly different method than corneredcat by bringing the elbow higher and more in line with the slide providing a little more leverage. The hand pinches the back of the slide behind the ejection port and both hands push in opposite directions. When the slide won't move anymore let go with the left hand, do not let the hand follow the slide. Download the mag by a round because if 8 doesn't get the job done, 9 probably won't either.

15. NightSleeper

NightSleeper

I was thinking the same thing. If it's already loaded, there's no reason for an inexperienced shooter to have to work the slide ... unless a FTF or FTE occurs. And then it would be a big problem. Probably should have her learn to work the slide as is or get her a different gun.

16. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

There ya go...:thumbsup: