close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making my own Ugly Drum Smoker

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GreenDrake, Jun 18, 2012.

1. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Just for fun, I have been putting this off for too long. Ran into the chance to get a nice smooth walled barrel and decided it was time to try one of these out, you can never have too many smokers.

I opted to keep the smooth wall and welded the grate mounts inside without having to drill out the barrel. Yes it is ugly right now, but I just burned out the liner Saturday. This is a shot with it sanded down running it's first load of lump with the heat deflector and a grate in place.

Taking it to get powder coated this week.

[​IMG]

2. sawgrass

sawgrass

That looks great! I built one about two years ago and have had a lot of fun with it. It really holds the heat well and I haven't found a need for a water pan. I put three ball valves on the bottom and a two inch ball valve in the lid.
    I had them laying around in a box of stuff so no additional expense. Which thermometer are you using? Is it accurate?

Enjoy!

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I am going to put in two Tel-Tru glow in the dark 5 inchers, if I can afford the dang things. They are proud of them but I want to have monster guages on that baby so I can see them from the bed of my truck at competitions. Well, not really, I just want the big ones. Who doesn't love big ones, right? Am I right? lol

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

If you get it powder coated it won't be an ugly drum anymore. It'll be a pretty drum. :supergrin:

That thing is sweet!

6. mc1911

mc1911

Are there plans available for that?

7. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

MC, nah there's plenty of info out there for them. Essentially it is how you want it. I have tabs welded into the sidewalls to allow for two racks, a charcoal basket made of expanded metal, a heat deflector with a hoop on it made from a circular cut of the lid, the door, legs, three three inch nipples with caps for startup and higher heat venting, a 36 inch cold rolled pipe with a ball valve on it and that's about it. Going to powder coat tomorrow. So stoked. It holds a steady 250 very well. Fun cookers and quite a cult following behind them.

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Oh, and I have two ports drilled for probes and one port at each grate level for thermos.

9. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I've had one for about three years now. I made mine out of the open head barrel and it cooks unbelievably. I made a 10" spacer to put under my charcoal basket so I can do hamburgers and other "grilling" meats. I'm trying to find a barrel made of SS, the holy grail of smokers.

I'm sure my cholesterol has went up at least 87 points since I built this thing. I smoked a 10lbs. butt on it this weekend and it was done in a little over 8 hours. They cook great!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  10. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Money, this one is stainless steel. I love the smooth wall look too. It is at the powder coater right now. Can't wait.

11. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

You can buy them from McMaster-Carr but they are about $850.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's not the meat that does you in. It's the cornbread and fritters and tater-salad and chips and sugary BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Just make a big mess of yummy meat and watch your #'s improve!

13. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

We don't care how it looks but how it tastes the food you put inside, so SHARE!!! :supergrin:

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I will have it back from powder coat on Friday. Bummer deal is, all they can do is hammered black for a high temp finish. No big deal, I can figure out some design to have coated and installed off-set and put it on the barrel if I want to. For now, I am just happy to be able to cook on that bad boy this weekend in finished condition.