close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making minor with a .40 (limited USPSA)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by pwoens, Mar 10, 2017.

1. pwoens

pwoens

I am working on obtaining a chronograph as I know its essential. I am also new to all these rules and regulations and know I am a newb :). I have a G35 gen3 with a few upgrades but still within the limited class for USPSA, which is where I participate in fun shoots for now. I would like to try and run the minor class without changing primary pistols and curious if anyone has achieved a minor load with .40 projectiles?

2. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Easy. Most starting loads won't get close to major.

Pick a powder with a medium burn rate and use the start load. Should be nice and soft recoiling.

180s at minor are really soft.

Taterhead and pwoens like this.

3. pwoens

pwoens

Thank you for the insight - doing more digging on the powders I have on hand and looks like its easy, just as you alluded to. thanks again

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

My.40 minor load uses . grs. of WST and a 180 gr. bullet,makes about 133 pf and is a soft recoiling load that if one didn't know would think it was a 9 mm load. SJ 40

5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

A 180 with WST will work great. Easy to make minor, especially with the longer G35 barrel. If the start charge cycles reliably, then you'll likely clear minor PF no sweat. And as Hoser said, a very soft recoil.

EDIT: I see that SJ 40 beat me to it.

fredj338, SJ 40 and WeeWilly like this.
  6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Great minds or practical experience causes people to think alike. SJ 40

WeeWilly likes this.
  7. pwoens

pwoens

thank you!! how many grs with the 180 would you recommend I start playing around at?? Also, should I run my factory barrel or the lone wolf factory replacement barrel for this??

SJ 40 likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

Another 180/wst for minor guy. I think its as soft as my 9mm.

9. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

PM me and I'll provide you with the charge I use with a 180 gr. plain lead grease groove bullet that works for me and my .40 guns. SJ 40

10. GRR

GRR

My minor load for my G35 is 3.2 gr Titegroup with Black Bullet International 180 gr poly coated bullets. Stock barrel. 130ish PF.

pwoens likes this.
  11. pwoens

pwoens

these look like really nice bullets. Assuming you are happy with these 180 gr from BBI?

12. GRR

GRR

Quite happy. I've been using BBI's for quite a while in 9, 40 and 45. No issues with a stock Glock barrel, even in my G41 running major 45. Also, Chandler is good people.

pwoens likes this.
  13. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Titegroup would work too. However, if you're new at loading, then a fluffier powder like WST will have better case fill, therefore more obvious of heavy or double charges.

SJ 40 and pwoens like this.
  14. pwoens

pwoens

I have been reloading off/on for past 7 years. Have loaded well over 40k rounds but by no means an accomplished reloader :). Always learning new tips/tricks/loads and love the ability to modify and make it work well. I run an xl650 and spot check about every 10th round in addition to using the powder check rod. I always appreciate advice and will start with the WST I have on hand to see how it works out. Appreciate the insight.

Taterhead likes this.
  15. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Oh ok. Great. In the first post you mentioned being new. Wasn't sure if that meant loading or competing with the G35. Sounds like you know the drill with loading.

16. pwoens

pwoens

LOL, ya new to the competitive side of the sport :) I really do appreciate the suggestion of WST and am going that route to start out. Very similar to long distance loads but also quite different.

Taterhead likes this.
  17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I was a big proponent of minor .40. In the early days of production, many of the local shooters were using .40s. Not only did we feel it shot softer, but in NJ we could use the normal 15 round magazines, rather than 10 round 9mm magazines. We all experimented quite a bit, and it was unanimous that our favorite load was 3.0 grains of Clays behind a 180 FMJ like Montana Gold or Precision Delta.

Respectfully disagree. To get really down to minor, 130 power factor, it's better to use a fast burning powder. Starting loads are still likely to put you at 155 power factor or above.

pwoens and WeeWilly like this.
  18. pwoens

pwoens

Great information!! Looks like Clays is a small load and registers for both the .40 and 9mm so might be a good choice since I reload both :)

19. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Depending on ones powder dispenser/measure Clays can and has bridged whereas WST flows like sheet through a goose in all
    dispenser/measures I have used it in.
    Don't get me wrong I'm a user of Clays just not for very small charges in small cases. SJ 40

20. sciolist

sciolist

Definitely.

WST or 320 are probably the best bet.

I would expect a 180 gr bullet to be softer than anything in 9mm at 130 PF, and do know a few shooters who went that direction in production. But for USPSA/Steel-type stuff, my experience is that the point of diminishing returns in function and accuracy is somewhere between 150 and 165 gr. in 9mm. 180 gr at 130 PF is going pretty darn slow...

My incentive to get the power level down is purely flip reduction. Once flip gets below a certain threshold, additional reduction doesn't make a difference in my times. For example, the difference I see in the sights between a 147 or 150 gr bullet with WST at 130 PF and a 124 gr bullet with WST at 110 PF is huge, but I can't actually shoot faster live splits with the 110 PF ammo. So even when sub-minor is legal, I feel better about running Glocks a little hotter, with a heavier spring.

ETA, 'hotter and heavier' is highly relative. I'm talking about a #12 spring vs. a #10 spring in a gen3 G34, so completely off the charts for the keep-it-stock crowd. Even at 135 PF, you may get some negative feedback from an unmodified Glock.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Taterhead and pwoens like this.