Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
fab guru
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im ready to make a kydex holster for my 35 but im concerned with the heat of making the holster ive seen forming and stippling done to the grip at low heat. and i have also noticed that alot of holster companys usually have a dummy gun when they form glocks. Is this gunna hurt my gun to make the holster? where can you get the dummys at? (r models) and how much are they? thanks and I appreciate any info

·
NRA Cert.FI/RSO
98 Posts
Rings has the best blue gun dummies. they run about $32-35 online. Hot kydex won't hurt your gun. but make sure you don't over clamp your mould too tight on Glocks, or sticka magazine in to support the mag well. Best use a heat gun than oven. If you ahve stipling done on the frame, make sure use some heavy duty masking tape cover over the stippled area.

·
fab guru
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a website where you can get the r models?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Ok Im ready to make a kydex holster for my 35 but im concerned with the heat of making the holster ive seen forming and stippling done to the grip at low heat. and i have also noticed that alot of holster companys usually have a dummy gun when they form glocks. Is this gunna hurt my gun to make the holster? where can you get the dummys at? (r models) and how much are they? thanks and I appreciate any info
I'd at least buy a G17 dummy gun. A lot of things could happen. e.g. you could make it too tight and then it'll scratch your G35's finish while you're using it.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
Just go for it. The Kydex isn't hot enough to do any damage to your gun. It will scorch well before that. I heat mine in the toaster oven on convection. You'll feel when it goes from "trying to spring back" to "just floppy enough." Put a cotton dish towel or t-shirt between the minicell and the kydex to keep it from sticking. And, when you clamp it, leave the grip sticking out of the mold or stuff a mag in it. It doesn't matter, you won't break it either way.

I'd at least buy a G17 dummy gun. A lot of things could happen. e.g. you could make it too tight and then it'll scratch your G35's finish while you're using it.

·
fab guru
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually ordered a dummy from botach, they were cheapest and I figure I'm gunna make more then one holster most likely so why not...40 $ well spent as far as I'm concerned, and I bought the 34 by the way, I got the material for the press in the mail too just not to the place I'm living currently :/

·
fab guru
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why are they not reliable or is that a joke?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Molding the kydex to your Glock won't hurt it. I heat the kydex to about 300 F. I make lots of holsters and use all of my actual guns. It ensures that you will get the best fit. The Blue gun molds will be slightly undersized due to shrinkage so they will be tight. I generally wrap the slide with several layers of black electrical tape to make up the difference.

I really like Alternate Force for the molds. Good prices and very fast shipping.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
Why are they not reliable or is that a joke?
Just google botach horror stories or botach nightmare or some such. The first (and last) time I placed an order with them they jerked me around and screwed me over for a couple months. I finally had to dispute the charge (IIRC, it was a few years back) with my CC company and got my money back. Eventually I received a box from them, but it was half stuff I hadn't ordered. :upeyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts