Making Glock 43 longer..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dogi, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Dogi

Dogi

I'd like to buy a 9 mm Glock that is as concealable as possible. Limiting factor is that the gun has to be longer than 190 mm (7.49") or taller than 140 mm (5.52"). Anything that is permanently attached to the gun (for example muzzle brake attached with red Loctite) counts.

What I have in mind is Glock 43 with longer barrel, possibly with a compensator / muzzle brake (I'll just use the word comp from now on). I have considered comp because barrel that long would, for some reason, feel fragile. And I don't think anyone is making Glock 43 barrels that'd be long enough?

Glock 43 is 159 mm (6.26") long, so I'd need one that is 32 mm (1.26") longer than "original".

Easiest way of making a gun longer is to equip it with a longer barrel, right :)

So, original barrel is 86 mm (3.39") long, and I'd need one that is 118 mm (4.65") long. Does that king of barrel exist?

Or then I go another route with pros and cons. Buy threaded barrel and quip it with a comp. That'd easily make the gun long enough, but then I'd most likely have to mess with the recoil spring (and possibly with some other internals as well?). And cleaning a Glock with permanently attached comp.. does not sound too nice :)

What are your thoughts on this?

happyguy likes this.
  2. nikolaz

nikolaz

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

My thoughts- all that work sounds like a lot of work and problems waiting to happen. It might be easier to find another brand of pistol that meets the requirements you have.

4. gunowner1

gunowner1

Just go to various manufacturers websites and look at the dimensions of their pistols.

powernoodle likes this.
  5. MoRivera

MoRivera

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

As much work as it is to make longer, how are you going to make it taller? I'd just look at a different gun.

ETA: I just saw that it was "OR" taller. :oops:

7. dudel

dudel

Find another gun. Simpler, easier and likely cheaper in the long run.

Curious what the requirements are for.

michael_b likes this.
  8. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I have embarked on a project to make a 4 inch S&W Shield with a JPoint.

A manufacturer has recently begun making an extended threaded barrel for the Shield and there is a guy semi-local to me (ZRTS) who does custom CNC milling who could probably make a comp for me.

I don't have any real details yet as I'm still in the "mulling it over" stage. I think it will be a cool and fun project and to be honest, I envision this as a carry gun for an older gent with arthritis and failing eyesight.

I do know there are companies who will actually lengthen an existing barrel and thread it so you can add a suppressor but I can't name one off the top of my head. It might take some Google time to find one or maybe there is a suppressor/NFA forum where you could find out about them.

I envision this, without the light, shrunk down on the Shield platform. It will be a mini- Rowland Special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything for the Shield is available off the shelf with the exception of the comp.

You might have to do a little extra since the Glock hasn't been on the market all that long but if the Hearing Protection Act passes I think after market barrel manufacturers will be working overtime to crank out threaded barrels.

I think it's a cool project and I wouldn't listen to the naysayers. Just know it won't be cheap and it's not everyone's cup of tea. So don't be surprised if you get some negative opinions.

That's the risk you run for asking. But you also may get some valuable input about problems you haven't considered.

Edit: The cool thing about doing this on the Shield platform is there is enough meat in the top of the slide so the JPoint can be recessed enough that suppressor height sights are unnecessary.

Since you will be having the comp custom made you can always have lightening holes added, you could basically have it turned into Swiss cheese, or have it milled from some exotic lightweight metal.

That would increase the cool factor exponentially.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  9. MoRivera

MoRivera

Kinda' like ricing out a SmartCar.

:D

Sorry..... ;)

halfmoonclip, ChuteTheMall and BuckyP like this.
  10. ronin.45

ronin.45

With a permanent comp you wouldn't be able to remove the barrel at all.

Just buy a different gun.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  11. Dogi

Dogi

Thank you for your input. I think I have to clear few things up a bit / answer some "questions" :)

But why:

I'd like to have a gun that does have as little print, when carried concealed, as possible.

Unfortunately it is impossible to get a permit for a gun that does not exceed 190 mm in length or 140 mm in height. Even Glock 19 (187 mm x 127 mm) is considered "pocket gun" here. That's why almost all of them are sold as pro-models. Pro model has a threaded barrel (and few other changes that are irrelevant to my problem) that makes it just long enough to be "normal" gun.

I just think Glock 19 is too big to be carried concealed, especially when it's hot outside. I feel like I have to "dress for the occasion" when I'm carrying it, and that it is a little too big to be comfortable. The height of Glock 19 is the "problem", length of the gun does not bother me so much. That's why I started to think about some other solution, and Glock 43 would have a nice short grip..

So I'm after a 9 mm gun that'd be as low as possible, and being narrow would not hurt either. But it has to be 190+ mm long. I fear it might be hard to find a gun that'd meet these requirements without some changes..

Why Glock? It was just my "go to" answer, since I've owned only Glocks. Of all the shots I've fired with a pistol I've probably shot 98% with a Glock 17, 19 or 26.

I haven't found the exact length in mm, but XD-S® 4.0″ 9mm seems to be 7" long.. That'd make it too short (178 mm). Same problem with Shield.

Back to the original brainstorm..

Buying a (Glock 43 and a) threaded barrel and adding a non-removeable comp would be easy to achieve, but would make proper cleaning of the gun a pain. Or outright impossible.

What I think I'd like more is finding a long enough barrel that'd fit Glock 43 (although I'm afraid that only G43 barrels fit G43.. they are not interchangeable with any other model are they?), and having a Kydex holster made for the gun that'd protect it (and the looong barrel).

I know that this is a bit weird, but hey, I did not come up with our laws (that say that when I carry a gun I have to carry it concealed, but the gun I'm concealing has to be BIG) :)

12. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

By the time you add everything to make it legal, you've kinda defeated the purpose. Why not a 1911 in 9mm? Thin, concealable, and easy to carry with a proper holster......or just use your 17.

nikolaz, michael_b and mj9mm like this.
  13. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

I don't get it either.

14. Dogi

Dogi

Glock 17 is as easy to carry concealed as Glock 43 with 1.25" long comp (or barrel that comes 1.25" out of the slide)? Really?

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

The first comment makes me assume you aren't in the US.
    The second makes me think you should get a G19, cut the grip to G26 size and be done with it.

ChuteTheMall likes this.
  16. MoRivera

MoRivera

17. MoRivera

MoRivera

I think Bar-Sto can make an extended barrel for the XDs 4.0.

18. Dogi

Dogi

Correct, I'm from the "old continent"(*). Apologies for my incompetency in English language, but it is my third language, so you just have to bare with me :)

Cutting the grip would make the gun illegal.

Thank you for the tip!

(*)This might explain some of the weird laws we have concerning guns. It is quite difficult and laborious to get a permit for a pistol/revolver, but fairly easy to get one for a rifle (minimum length 840 mm, minimum barrel length 400 mm). And if you do get a permit for lets say semi-auto 9mm, you can do almost anything to it, as long as you don't make it smaller. It's perfectly ok to put your Glock 17 inside Roni, change it's barrel to 10" threaded one, equip it with suppressor, any kind of optic (red dot, magnifier, even night vision stuff), 100 round mags etc..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Hard to imagine that chopping a G19 grip to G26 size would be illegal, but extending barrel with add-ons is legal. Would mounting a bayonet help?

1.jpg

20. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

The basic question I have is...

...do you want to carry a pistol to protect yourself/family, or is making a fashion statement take priority over that?

Wes Cummings likes this.