"Making" Friends?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ExxoticOne, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I think friendships should evolve naturally vs. someone who tries to "make" friends with you. It creeps me out when people try too hard.

How do your friendships evolve? Or, do ya just not want any?

2. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

I think there are different levels of friendship. They all take time and the "level" of friendship is usually a direct result of spending time with them. As far as making friends goes, I'd say that is what you do. Some people become friends faster than others given numerous variables and environments. Being friends with someone takes some effort, and to me, that is the making part of the deal.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010

3. bluenoise

bluenoise

I have a garage full of various tools. I make all kind of things. :supergrin:

I don't have many friends that I spend time with. Most of them are those whose wives are friends with my wife, so it's dinners, BBQs, etc. As a kid, I used to feel sorry for my dad because he never seemed to have any friends like my mom did. Now that I'm an adult, I see how the situation works. Maybe it's that I just don't really have time for friends as I would rather spend time with my wife and kids.

I consider several people here my friends as I enjoy conversation with a great many people on GT. I finally got to meet a fellow GTer (Glock 20 10mm) in person last week, so that was cool, too.

4. RichJ

RichJ

I consider "making" a friend to be something completely different. :whistling:

5. Bladegt

Bladegt

It all depends. I don't like people, like you said, who try to "force" their way into a friendship. Just seems like they try to hard. I always don't like people who think just because you invited them along to a party or get together that they automatically qualify as a friend. We all have friends that we just hang around with, then you have those friends who have always been there for you when you really need them, more like a brother/sister.

6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

When I got Legos as a kid i tried making friends. Never turned out well.

7. PBCounty

PBCounty

Just about all of my friends are left over from grade, middle and high school. We all grew up in the same neighborhood and never really left. Any new friends come from exposure to the friends or family of existing friends via our weekly cook-outs and parties. I guess I've picked up a few straglers from the workplace here and there but it never really lasts long.

I don't "try" to make new friends nor do I well tolerate someone who is trying too hard to become a friend of mine (happens fairly often because guys know a lot of decent women reside in our circle).

That said - I'm always open to meet new people and make some new friends.

8. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

To me, friendships, like romance, should just happen naturally. I don't want to be told "Oh, you'll like so-and-so"...I'll decide who I like thankyouverymuch!

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Don't really have any friendships. I rarely socialize outside of family.

10. chris in va

chris in va

I think the advent of the internet has really cut down on face-to-face interaction. At least around here, everyone just wants to be left alone.

11. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

OK here's what prompted this. A girl who works with me heard I sold my house. So she texts me and asks me if I am doing OK. (Weird I thought.)

I text her back and tell her "All is good."

She texts me back "Well, I am concerned because that's is just the kind of person I am. I worry about you. I am a compassionate person that is how I am."

I BARELY KNOW THIS CHICK!

12. Cheytac

Cheytac

I don't "make friends," friendship just happens. And true friends are few and far between.

13. RichJ

RichJ

Is this person a lesbian by any chance?

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The problem I run into has plagued me for years. I meet really cool people that I want to hang with BUT they are always a far distance so it's far more difficult. Most recently, I got to meet bluenoise and hang with him for a few hours. Had a blast and some laughs. Look forward to more get togethers in the future... but those will require planning due to the distances involved.

If I do find someone to hang with that is closer, either they are married and therefore busy with the honey-do list (I was married once so I get it!) or they have 20 billion things going on and never seem to have time to do anything.

I find it hard to make friends, more so now than ever. I have brought this up before but really with the advent of modern communications, people just don't have time for real personal interactions anymore. Or so it seems to me.

The other thing is I am not into sports, so I can't talk about basketball, football or baseball. I don't even know who any of the "star" players are. It just doesn't interest me. The people that I do meet most times that are into similar interests (shooting, kayaking, backpacking/camping, cycling) well let's just say that I haven't had much luck here either.

So I figure screw it, I have a home in the mountains. Enjoy the silence --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA

15. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Gay or not Gay, that is still kind of creepy.

16. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

If she were she'd offer go help me move. :rofl:

Know where I can find any?

17. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Wow you guys over think everything. If a person comes to me with an honest desire to be my friend them they will be. If someone I didn't know texted me and asked how I was I'd take their concern as a compliment not as something strange.

18. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I had this RN in the office next to mine who kept gobs of candy in her office so that people would come in to get the candy and thus she could have contact with them. She also butted in on many conversations and private matters that did not pertain to her. I have never met anyone who was so eager to please and make friends that it became a real problem. It is really kind of pathetic and creepy at the same time.

19. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I've had a few experiences like this. Some were folks who just wanted to be helpful. Others were from folks who were needy for someone to "help" by trying to control them. And still others were from folks looking to take advantage of me in some way.

I usually just say, "Thanks for wanting to help. If I need help, I'll give you a call." With that, the genuine folks wait for me to contact them. Those with agendas press the issue, and I distance myself from them because of that.

It works for me.

20. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

It's not the "ask me how I'm doing" part that was over the top; it was her telling me how compassionate she is..."the kind of person she is".

That stuff should be self-evident or left to my judgement.