close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

making a stink even when you aren't hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Mar 6, 2006.

1. noway

noway

I spoke with an older hunter over lunch today and he made a suggestion for deer hunters with laying scent everytime you travel thru a place that you plan on hunting regardless if the season is in or out.

He observation are that the deer and primary the buck will get use and less suspicious of the new scent once it has been around for a while. Anybody ever heard of this or done this and notice a improvement in your BIG sightings and harvesting ? also if you have done this has it been on public or private lands.

This guy who told me this claims it has worked and he supposely have taken nice record size bucks in his 40years of hunting.

My luck with scents have been almost zero luck. Personally I think a mature buck is more cautious of new a new doe smell vrs a young buck just thinks about *****. So if anything I've brought in young bucks and pretty much does when using doe-p.

I planning on this year, with laying scents down every tiem I go out to scout or other activities in the area that I hunt.;)

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I don't worry too much about scent control when I hunt. I make sure I don't stink like *** and feet and that is pretty much it. I wash my hunting clothes in non-scented detergent, use the non-UV stuff.

When I go scouting or coyote hunting or just out for a walk in the woods, I don't worry about it much either. I hunt on a 140 acre "retired" farm. Guy that owns it is 87 and doesn't get out much. Lets us hunt because we check in on him and take care of him all the time. He has absolutely no family left. His only relation is himslef.

Anyways, I wear the rubber knee boots because I hunt in a swamp. I wear coverups in the winter for coyote hunting. Their sense of smell and timidness are tenfold to that of a deer's. I took a coyote at 13y a few weeks ago. He came in from downwind. I don't spray down with scent or hang scents out or anything like that.

As far as deer go, I have deer come in by me at no less than 7 feet, yes FEET, away. Not in a treestand, I am right on the ground with nothing around me to hide me. I had to smack a doe on the haunches with my pistol last year because it got too close and I tried to chase it away before it landed in my lap. I could literally smell her breath we were that close.

There may be some truth to that. Seems interesting and has definate merit. I suggest maybe a natural scent instead of an animal scent. Something on the order of earth scent or pine scent if near pines; stuff like that. I have little quirks that I do such as bringing red fox urine with me and spray a bunch on the area that I pee on. Human urine smells different and I try to mask it as best as I can. It will be interesting to see other posts on this topic. I might try to experiment some too and see if it makes a difference this fall.

3. noway

noway

This post wasn't about your body scent , but about intorduction of a foreign scent into an area with deer.

this old hunter was saying that deer are smart, they known that this new "female" is not normal or they are like who is this "hoe" in the neighborhood.

In order to win the confidence of a "mature" deer you need to introduce this smell on a regular bases and make the scent a normal smell for them. Young deer don't have the control and wisedom to be cautious and thus they are 1st to be killed. A deer that's 2-3plus years is old for a reason ;) and it's not for being dumb.

He also believes most people intirduce deer scent and not realize what and how nature works. So like in my case, all I attract are young deer ( who are curious by nature ) or other animals ;)

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Ohhhh, I get it now. Sorry. I don't know of anyone who does this. Makes sense though. I have seen two reactions from deer regarding scent. Either they get spooked and swap ends or they are curious and check it out. I know of some hunters, like myself, who use ground blinds and leave them out for a while before the season so the deer get used to seeing it.

I think you might see more/better/different results depending on the hunting area in question. I hunt on a 140 acre parcel that has people living around. Most of the inland side are 5-10 acre parcels and the Lake Superior side by me is all 2-3 acre parcels. We see deer every day and deer see us every day. I think they are pretty used to human smells of all sorts being around.

I think where you would really see a difference is in larger tracts of land where humans don't enter or go around much if at all. More of like the hunting parcels that have a small cabin on and they only see humans during hunting season and that is all they use the land for is hunting. Smaller tracts like the one I hunt have deer that are used to seeing humans and smelling them.

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I think that has more of an effect than the smell itself. My godfather would put out the haybale blinds months before the season. By time it came around the deer would feed right next to them.

Anything that changes dramatically is a warning sign in my mind. Even tossing out corn or salt just before the season is detrimental if those things weren't there to begin with. My dad told me this year how one fella was regularly seeing a big 12pt in his back yard util he went and threw out a bunch of corn for it. Once the corn hit the ground it never returned. So if you use cover scent, I think it would be a good thing to drop that scent throught the year.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Exactly!
    We got to remember... We are in there domain. If someone came in your house while you were gone, and rearranged your furniture, you would 'know it' when you got home. OR if they had added a piece, you would know it. (wish some one would add some here ;f), anyway, point being. This old timer, is on track Noway.

I 'have done this' and it "does work." In fact, i went the extra mile out behind the house in one of my tree stands. There is a creek behind that stand, and one year i heard splashing as a couple of bucks crossed it, and went up a pickup trail, and ventured off into some thick timber into a draw. ( i know this, cause i could see them through the tree limbs, but 'could not' shoot the bow).

SO, after the season, i started going out there and making a "mock deer trail," from the creek crossing to 20 feet in front of my tree stand, and a little past it, to a 'dead end." The idea was to get the deer to walk past my stand. I was not planning on him going any further. ;)

SO, i simply dragged the side of my boot, from that pickup trail at the creek crossing, and "made a trail." After doing this 'every few days,' it got wore down real well, (so did my boot). I then started 'dropping doe sent' in the trail 'several times a week.' I did this preety much 'through the year.'

When the next deer season came, i used 'doe in heat sent' this time, and placed some on a cottonball as well, and put it about three feet off the ground in a little bush in front of my stand.

Well, i heard a good "splashing," as in years past, BUT, this time, a big buck came up "my mock trail," and sniffing hard 'on the ground,' and then in the air... He was headed straight for that bush. and really 'checking out the trail' i made all year and saturated with the doe pee. When his head went behind a tree trunk, i raised my bow, and got to full draw, and when he stepped out, BAM, i had meat! ;f

I have seen this work very well, and only shared that loooong story 'to encourage you' to listen to the "other old man," ha. It 'will work,' and is a method i 'frequently reccomend.' Give it a try. You pretty much, truly can bring them to you, and direct their path, with this process. 'It does work.'

Stay persistant with it though!

Edit Note *** BTW, those deer still use that trail, and have consistently come by that stand for over 16/17 years now. ;)

Later my friend.

CanyonMan

7. noway

noway

Will I guess I better start buying as much scent as I can afford ;)

This guy use that same analogy about re-arranging the furniture like you did but pertaining to a "new" scent just showing up in the woods as he calls it. A mature buck knows better and to be cautious on any new scents female or male. Young bucks are stupid and horny so they are to bright.

I would like to try that tarsal gland thing that punkture mention ( I think it was him ;) ). Don't know how long they can stay fresh and how long you could use one. But it would be interesting to try ;)

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yep, Like i said, i just use doe pee, and then at rut time, doe in heat sent. You relly don't have to buy that much my friend. You are not going to do much more than drip a few drops along "said trail," every now and then, until you go a little "past" where you want him to be when you have 'a good shot from your position.'

Buy about 4/5 little bottles, and get started.
    "Don't" go out there to "check things out," all the time, just go and walk 'beside' the trail, and drop a few drops, every few feet, a couple times a week. They will get used to it quicker than you think.

This is not my standard hunting procedre, BUT, "it does work," when i have wanted to introduce a "new trail," in a particular location. As i said, they are still using that trail, after all these years, "without" any more of my help. ;)

I have even put "road blocks" in certain places, to get them "exactly" where i want them. Placing brush, that i cut down in the early spring and summer, and small timber piles here and there, making a clearing here and there, and blocking off other "avenues," of travel from them, and placing a few drops of sent down a couple times a week.

I have taken people on hunts in such arrangements as these, and they have scored very nice bucks, usually within 25 yds. Block exsisting trails, and create new ones, and make road blocks, so they will "have to come" the way you want them to, through a "bottle neck," of sorts.. Do it all "very early spring and summer", and use the doe pee, then use the doe in heat sent when season hits.... After the "initial trouble," you are home free for years to come. BTW, it does help to do this in an area well populated with deer! ;f

Besides, as close as you been getting with that Hogleg of yours, you will do great! ;)

CanyonMan