Making A Stetson: The Birth of a Hat (1920s-30s film)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Does anyone here have a Stetson? I've become obsessed with getting one lately. Not cheap though.

For those who prefer a more modern video, there is this:

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Stetson University in Deland, Florida founded by the hat guy, John Stetson

The name of their football team?

The " Hatters " , of course.

:rofl:

jstrange and Jade Falcon like this.

3. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I'm by no means a "cowboy", but got one this for fishing in the rain. Lot of fishing flys and bad casts have made the right brim a little jagged.
    upload_2018-8-13_19-35-57.png

And we Mainiacs liked the hats so much, we named a town after him...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stetson,_Maine

Well...not really, but it sounds nice.

willie_pete and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

I could never rock a cowboy hat but I did like the video.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

I have a Mallory By Stetson western hat, called the DW411 Outland, in Nukhaki color w/3" brim. It's 100% wool instead of fur, though. (Mallory was bought by Stetson in the mid-40's.)

It looks more like something Indiana Jones would wear, instead of an original Stetson cowboy hat, but I liked it back then and I could afford to buy it new.

It's maybe 35 years old (guess based upon remembering the age of our kids when I bought it, and black one of some different model I can't remember anymore, which has been gone for some years).

It's got a couple bug chewed spots and I had to have someone steam and block it a while back. It's had some wear over the years, including when I was wearing it for my plainclothes assignment for a while (but I finally decided not to subject it to some of the things I had to do on-duty).

I always admired my dad's Stetson collection, but his head was larger than mine and I couldn't wear his hats, so I let my brother decide what to do with them when our dad passed.

I did, however, get one of the very old Stetson oval hat boxes. I took it to the hat store when i was asking about having it steamed and blocked, and the box got a LOT of attention when I walked in the door. It's worth more than the hat. ;)

To celebrate finishing my 6 months of chemo back in 2010, I decided to visit a fancy hat shop to see if they had any Stetsons. They didn't have any western hats, but they did have a Stetson Chatham Fur Felt Fedora in Caribou color. It's part of their top of the line, Royal Deluxe quality dress hats. Sharp. Iconic, even. Something worn by leading men in Hollywood's classic film noir period from the the 40's and 50's.

One day I'd like to get a new Stetson Fur Felt cowboy hat, even though I mostly wear straw and felt Fedoras in recent years. Somehow, my class A dress felt campaign hat isn't something I wish to wear in my retirement. ;)

Thanks for the video clips. Enjoyed it.

Alchemy, pgg00 and Jade Falcon like this.
  6. 2bgop

2bgop

I buy my dad a new straw every year for this birthday, just gave him one yesterday, I would guess it is the 25th one I have given him. I think he probably has a bunch pile of unworn hats someplace, but I'm not going to stop.

Ross-in-Pa and Jade Falcon like this.
  7. jstrange

jstrange

I have a cheaper one in black felt. I am more of s straw hat guy usually.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Awesome story dude, and congratulations on your good health.

My father himself has several Stetsons, but as with most things in life, he doesn't go cheap. I think his cheapest one is about $400. He also has several Fedoras. I myself am not really a Fedora guy....that being said, I've also never worn one. The guys I see around town wearing them are usually Beta-male hipsters from Portland with beards and thick-rimmed glasses. And as I also have a beard, I don't find it to be a good look. Just my personal opinion. And I'm not shaving my beard off to wear a hat, lol.

I really like the cowboy hats, or the Australian-style hats. Here's the website I'm using; a shop based in Troutdale, which is a city just south-east of me in Oregon.

http://www.bootbarn.com/mens-western-hats.html

9. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

They were from my hometown.....Danbury Connecticut. Their factory lasted into the 70’s or 80s if i recall correctly.

Side note- I’m on my third Akubra. A little less cowboy.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  10. Lazy R

Lazy R

Cool. I bought a Resistol hat some years ago, finding they had more beaver fur, a 4-X which was the highest content you could get then from that company at least. Didn't realize how much goes into making one.

Jade Falcon and fastbolt like this.
  11. flyover

flyover

There used to be a store near me that sold Stetson hats. There was an elderly gentleman there that would custom fit the hat to your head. Not everybody is a perfect fit, as I recall he used steam and would stretch it out to make it fit just like you wanted it to.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'm familiar with Troutdale because I've spent a fair amount of time staying at, or stopping by, the Edgefield on road trips. Our daughter even wanted her wedding and reception held there, and I enjoyed some cigars there before and afterward. ;) That was back when a couple of the theme bars on the property were still also cigar bars, instead of just the Little Red Shed, like in more recent years.

BTW, those little short brimmed hipster hats aren't exactly "classic" Fedoras. A classic Fedora out to have a 2 3/8" - 2 3/4" snap brim and a decent tall rise to the crown (and pinch), and look like something men commonly wore in the classic B&W films and TV shows. And definitely NOT the hat Gene Hackman wore in The French Connection. :eek:

Jade Falcon likes this.
  13. Lazy R

Lazy R

Guy I bought the hat from told me, "You want this hat to really fit? Put it on and go cut a cord of firewood. Then it'll fit."

Alchemy, flyover, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I actually just bought a new stetson yesterday, when on my way to a wedding. Only hat in the store that fit me properly (even the 2 cowboy hats I already own don't fit me as well) and I haven't had a new hat in years. Really I was there to buy some jeans and boots, but realized I hadn't brought a hat with me. 7 5/8 is less commonly found than the 1/4 inch sizes, so when I put it on and it felt to be a perfect fit I bought it :)
    [​IMG]
    Stock photo, it's a buffalo collection Tall Tale

flyover, pgg00, fastbolt and 2 others like this.
  15. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Next time you're in North-East Portland and trying to find a place to smoke a cigar, check out the Shilo hotel on Airport Way. The restaurant there has a cigar lounge, currently open until 11 PM. Two flat-screen TVs that you can control yourself with (I think) DirectTV, and okay service, depending on the time of day and servers working. They have a bar, so you can order alcohol if you desire, and you can bring your own cigars, or buy whichever ones they have on display in the lounge.

Not a bad stop.

https://www.shiloinns.com/shilo-inns-portland-airport/dining

And if you want company, try sending me a PM, and I'll drive over and meet you. Drinks on me, if I'm able to make it there.

pgg00 and fastbolt like this.
  16. pgg00

pgg00

I usually use a straw hat or ball cap. My wife hates it when i wear a cowboy hat. She says it's embarrassing.

17. marlinmark

marlinmark

She must believe in the saying "All hat, no cattle."

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pgg00 and Jade Falcon like this.
  18. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

[​IMG]

.......wait, she says COWBOY hats are embarrassing?

o_O:laughabove:

pgg00 likes this.
  19. tjpet

tjpet

After moving West I bought a cheaper grade Stetson to hunt with. It did keep the sun out of my eyes. But it was too hot in the summer and not warm enough for Rocky Mt winters. I tried it for a year then sold it to a friend who thought he was a cowboy.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

My great grandfather was a hat maker. I have two Stetsons. One fur felt and one straw. tom. :cowboy:

Jade Falcon and fastbolt like this.