close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making a Linksy Firewire Router Cordless?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mossy500camo, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I want to hook up my PlayStation 2 to my Linksy router. Problem is, I dont want to run anymore wire. Is there any kind of way that I can rig my router as a wireless router for my PS2?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Well, assuming it's not a wireless router, you'll need an access point and a bridge. There are a thousand and one possible setups, but it's quite easy and the parts are everywhere. Many of those types of boxes are both access points and bridges, so you just have to buy two of the same thing.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

No Sir It's not a "wireless router". Its a Linkys Etherfast Cable/DSL router. Model Unknown at this time. But it is new and works fine with the "firewire". I just wanted to get rid of the wire and go wireless for my game. Thanks for the info.:beer:

4. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

They don't use Firewire, they use ethernet cables. Easiest way would be to replace your current router with one of these:
    Linksys WRT54G
    and get either one of these:
    Linksys WGA11B
    Linksys WGA54G
    to connect your PS2 to the network (the first is cheaper, but slower on the network, though that shouldn't matter much, they're both still faster than your internet connection).

5. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Yup! You're right it is Ethernet Cable. To give you guys a better picture of what I have here is the following. Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router / 4 ports and a PlayStation 2 Internet ready game console. Right now I have my pc and PS2 set up like a network. I just want to get rid of the Ethernet wire running from my Router to my PS 2. I have heard of a 'Bridge' but can you guys explain what I need, etc? Thanks for the info already provided.:beer:

6. btoler

btoler

your best bet is to take the router you just got back and replace it with the wireless router mentioned in grokdesigns post above. This router has wireless and ethernet connections and you will need a wireless card for your ps2 also listed in grokdesigns post, check it out.