close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making a HD drive bootable.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by M2 Carbine, Aug 17, 2006.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I just bought a Seagate 320 gig HD to clone and use as a backup for my WD 250 gig C drive.

I used Norton Ghost, which has been successful in the past but this time it failed after many hours of operation.

Not wanting to waste many more hours trying Norton again I went to plan two.

I couldn't find my Seagate Disk Wizard immediately so I used WD Data Lifeguard Tools and did a "drive to drive data copy". I won't bother with the details but it wasn't successful.

Plan three was using Seagate Disk Wizard, which I found.
    I set up the HD with one partition, then did a "drive to drive data copy".
    Now I have a complete working copy of the C drive, which is 99% what I want, but the drive isn't bootable, black screen "No OS".

In the past Norton Ghost has created a complete bootable second HD.

I'll stick with what I've got if necessary, but I'd like the backup HD to be a complete bootable clone if possible.

Easy, hard, time consuming, or not worth the trouble?

Note, no Win XP (home) CD. Cheap SOB's don't supply one.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Are you certain the drives are both jumpered propery, if they are PATA?

Is one a SATA drive, both, ???

I have never seen WD's Data Lifeguard fail to make a perfect, bootable replica of the source partition.

Maybe there's something wrong with the new drive.

Good luck!

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

PATA
    Yes the jumpers were/are correct.

I've used Norton Ghost on a number of new and used HD's and except for being really slow it's done fine but not this time.

This is my first time (maybe second, months ago) using WD Data Life Guard and first thing I suspected was I did something wrong but it's pretty simple to use.
    What it did was creat a second partition which I couldn't access at all and there was nothing in the first partition??? Strange.

I reformated with Seagate, and like I said, it made a perfect copy except it isn't bootable.

It's up and running as slave (cable select) in the computer now. I've already updated/backed up some files. I can live with this but I'd rather have it bootable and ready to replace the C drive if the time comes.

This is an area that I've been too lazy to learn.:upeyes:

4. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

I use Norton Ghost all of hte time at work. Every now and then it will fail to work correctly. I usually Gdisk the partition off of the target drive before I use ghost and everythin gworks out ok.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I have yet to see this operation fail.

Did you:

Remove the jumper entirely from the new drive whilst it was in the Pri Master position?

You sometimes have to try more than the standard settings to get a new HDD to boot when you've cloned data from another drive. WD HDD's will usually refuse to boot if the jumper is attached and the drive is running as master w/no slave HDD.

As I said, I have never had this happen to me, so it's probably something simple.

6. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

How far into the operation does it get? Does it error out during the transfer, end, or does it say it completed successfully? What version of ghost are you using? You're using the wizard "disk clone" ?

Like fastvfr said it's probably something simple at the hard drive cable/jumper area. You said your using cable select, do you move the cloned hard drive to the master position or leave it in the slave? I'm pretty sure if its in CS in the slave position of the HD cable with nothing in the master it won't work. (I never use CS)

GL,
    -dok

7. earroyo

earroyo Millennium Member

I never use Ghost. What I use is TrueImage from...

http://www.acronis.com/

You can download a 15 day trial that will clone your drive very quickly. Give it a try.

Edgar

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I tried again last night.
    First I tried Norton Ghost again.
    It's about a 2002 version. Recently I Ghosted a 250 gig HD with no problem.
    Last night Ghost ran for a while, then stopped and gave me the error message,
    "An internal inconsistency has been detected"
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Then I tried WD Data Lifeguard Tools.
    In Setup I chose "Add drive as additional storage".
    The second choice was, "Add drive as the new boot device". This morning I tried clicking this and the WD program shut down.

Next, in "Drive to drive data copy", C:/ to F:/

Unlike yesterday using WD, last night I got a good, no problems copy, except it still won't boot.

HD hookups tried with original HD completely disconnected.
    Connected to end of ribbon cable (master)
    Jumper on cable select (slave), jumper on master, and no jumper.
    With jumper on Master computer got to the blue Win screen.
    With no jumper there's immediately a black screen showing the two CD drives and "No IDE fixed disk present"

The start sequence is,
    "COMPAQ" on black screen
    Black screen
    Black screen with white line running across botton of the screen
    Black screen with Windows XP logo and moving bar
    Black screen
    Blue screen with Windows XP, and that's where it stops.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's probably something simple, but I haven't had this problem with a HD before.

Part of my original question was, Is it possible to copy/add the boot files to a HD to make it bootable after it's up and running, such as this HD? In other words can you add/install the bootable capability to the HD as you would any other program?

9. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Yes, you can boot into the recovery console with a xp cd and type fixmbr<enter> and fixboot<enter>, which will flag the drive as bootable (fixmbr) and search for any windows installations and and associate it to the MBR and windows loader (fixboot), but having read your latest post I seriously think the drive is defective. If your getting the windows logo and BSOD, everything is functioning as it should except for the actual data on the hard drive, which would explain why you've had so much trouble putting data on it, it's defective. Take/send it back if you can and try again.. -dok

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

She's up and running and booting her little heart out.:supergrin:

I downloaded "Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0" (trial) as earroyo suggested. It worked as slick as can be first try.
    Easy to use and took about 3 hours to clone the drive.

I still have no idea why the other clone attempts weren't working?
    Copying the entire original drive but still unbootable?
    May be still a disk problem? I'll keep an eye on it.

Anyhow, thanks guys for all the help.

doktarZues, That's what I was wondering. I don't have a XP CD but I'm making a copy of you instructions for future use, just in case.

earroyo, Thanks. That's a good program.:)

11. lens

lens

It wasn't until WinXP SP1 when very large HDDs were properly recognized.

Thus, I'm guessing that Ghost 2002 may not have that as a working feature and this may have caused your problem.

I've heard lots of good things about Acronis, so that might be your best bet, moving forward.