Making a good gun better

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Vito, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Vito

Vito

I really like my Gen 5 26, and was generally satisfied with the 10+1 capacity. But even though I don't have enormous hands, the grip felt just a bit too short for my comfort. Up until now I have just used the stock mags, but I bought a 12 round mag and what a nice difference it makes. The extra capacity is nice, but the slightly longer grip makes this gun even better as an EDC choice.

Pack26, Teecher45, oldmick and 6 others like this.
  2. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Glock (GSSF) allowed Pearce grips to be used in their stock category. I do have large hands and have (40) mags all with the Pearce plus 2 extension.

I am larger and still can carry the 26 with extensions in pocket.

There are smaller individuals and larger all with different tastes and needs.

AdamRodgers likes this.

3. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Pearce grips for 12rds or XGrip for 15rds (with G19 mag).

I recently went from 15 rds with XGrip and G19 mag down to 12rds with Pearce extention and absolutely love it. The 10rd mag never worked for me.

4. Blaker55

Blaker55

The Magpul 12 round mag is a nice alternative.

CC Glock likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I "feels" right with a longer grip, but a lot of people find that they actually shoot better with the shorter grip. Your pinky is usually the enemy of accuracy and not gripping with it can be an advantage.

2740dmx, Teecher45, mongo356 and 4 others like this.
  6. Rocky7

For those of us that know how to shoot, we are NOT compromised with our Pinkys, (3) members on one of My GSSF teams qualified Master with the Pearce grips, including myself.

harold63 likes this.
  7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

+1. The pinky is many times a culprit in 'milking' the grip without people even knowing it. It's at the lowest end of the flexor/extensor scale and thus is the easiest to manipulate the grip, while shooting. Training is the best way to overcome it, but people who don't shoot, much, can find shooting a two finger grip to be an advantage.

2740dmx and Teecher45 like this.
  8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Absolutely. If you've trained, a lot, you won't have an issue with it. Moreover, you could prolly shoot as well with all fingers on the grip verses taking your pinky off...with a 3 finger grip. ;)

Teecher45 likes this.
  9. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

You're nearly at G19 with the mag extension. I looked at this, a lot, trying to decide between a G26 and a G43 and came to the conclusion of 'why not just get the 19?' I don't want a big grip. It's too hard for me to conceal with the clothes I wear, but I can conceal a G17L slide with no issues. I suppose I'm in the 'hate the G17 grip with G19 slide' crowd. ;)

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Did you get the factory 12 round dmag?

11. bitcoin

bitcoin

Try the GeePlate attachments for the 10 round mags. Makes the gun "lock" into your big hands really well.

CAMSDADDY likes this.
  12. G19 fan

G19 fan

For my G26.5, I tried the factory 10 round mag (I didn't like how my pinkie had to tuck under), the Xgrip sleeve with a mag from my G19 (it pinched my hand & seemed cumbersome - too long - I want something a bit smaller than my G19, that's why I bought the 26), the Magpul 12 rd mag (my pinkie almost slips off - I have fairly large hands) & the Glock 12 rd mag (fits perfectly). Everyone has to experiment a bit to find the combination that works best for them. Just be aware that not all 12 rd mags are the same length/fit. Also, I just might try the GeePlate.

Teecher45 likes this.
  13. nursetim

nursetim

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

pittpa likes this.
  14. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*The Glock G26 12 round magazine is my go to - buy 3 or 4 more when on sale and you will be happy ! The difference between the 12 round and 10 round mags are negligible for EDC (as far as printing) so I believe the 12 round magazine is an excellent choice and the 12 round mags by Glock are better than any 3rd party / after market 12 round mags . Conversely , I do use the 10 round mags for competition (IDPA BUG-S class) because I have to . But if given the choice for EDC or any situation when I'm not competing then the 12 round Glock G26 mags are a solid choice !!

G19 fan likes this.
  15. Rocky7

Harold, you will shoot better and be able to shoot longer with a grip that fills the hand.

Take your 41’s and wack off an inch....... you suggest you will shoot better. Actually its getting to be comical in some of the comments.

Poor form exists but I see way too many bad comments on the Forum.

16. Vito

Vito

I bought the Glock magazine, from Midway. Not cheap but its done.

Borg Warner likes this.
  17. Mike-M

Mike-M

FWIW, the popular 12-round G26 magazine is just the standard 10-round magazine tube, follower, and spring with "+" Floorplate 7151 and "+" Insert 7165 holding it all in. To convert existing 10-round magazines, these may be ordered direct from Glock for $5 each.

https://store.teamglock.com/glock-magazine-floor-plate-for-9mm-40-357-45gap.html
    https://store.teamglock.com/glock-magazine-insert-for-9mm-40-357-45gap.html

It is less total expense to buy the OEM 12-round magazine. More important, that way one does not need to perform the most difficult and unpleasant of all Glock tasks...disassembly of the magazine without damaging or marring something. :)

My favorite EDC Glock is the 357SIG G33. I have grudgingly accustomed myself to the value of the 7151/7165 extension on some of its 9-round magazines (making them 11-round) just for a better grip. As far as any advantage from the added capacity goes, that's just worthless nonsense for a non-LE weapon. Glock does not sell an OEM 11-round G33 magazine, so it's a do-it-yourself modification of the standard 9-round magazine.

The same inserts may be used on G27 and G39 magazines. They add one additional round in that application.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Quade and mongo356 like this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"It is less total expense to buy the OEM 12-round magazine. More important, that way one does not need to perform the most difficult and unpleasant of all Glock tasks...disassembly of the magazine without damaging or marring something."

The first Glock magazine I had to take apart was a G19 mag on Gen 2 where I needed to put a Pearce PG-FML floorplate on it to fill the half-moon cut-out.

I could not squeeze it hard enough to get the factory floorplate off so I used vise-grips and I ended up damaging the magazine so that the new floorplate didn't want to go back on so to make sure it went on an stayed on, I used JB Weld and now that magazine will NEVER come apart and the only way I can clean it is to doosh it with Gun Scrubber follow by WD-40
    followed by Break-free.

Better Living Through Chemistry.

After that I bought some spare mags and figured out how-to take them apart without breaking them but it's still a royal pain in the arse.

19. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    That's what I was thinking. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

nursetim likes this.
  20. 1canvas

1canvas

The 15 round 19 mag with an X-Grip works best for me, I carry AIWB. Although I use mag extensions on my Glocks sometimes I feel the longer mags with X-Grips are more resistant to a base popping off. I use them with my 23 using 22 mags and my 30 using 21 mags. They all feel great in my hand.