Making a Full Size a Street Master

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by The_Drizzle, Mar 13, 2010.

1. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

I love officer size frames, they are small and easy to conceal. What I don’t like is the short slide and barrel that accompany the frame. I know I could get a commander slide and barrel on an officer frame, but I want more. I want a full size slide and barrel on an officer size frame. After doing some research here on the interweb for the past hour or so here is what I have come across.

A full size slide and barrel will not fit on a standard officer size frame. The dust cover is too short, and I think there is an issue with the barrel lugs or something. Also, it has been a while since I had an officer’s model, but I do believe the frame rails are shorter than a full size. At first I was going to look into having the dust cover on an officer size frame lengthened but because of the rails, and the lug thing, there is only one solution.

You guessed it, got to section a small piece of the grip frame out to shorten the length. This will give me an officer size grip, with a frame designed to handle a full size slide and barrel. So who would do something like this? Does anyone know of any gunsmiths doing this work, and if so, could you point me in their direction.

To be honest this is not something I am planning on getting done in the near future, just kind of a dream. I have looked all over the net and cannot find a Detonics Street Master for sale, but I will keep looking and keep an eye open in local shops. Here is a pic of the Detonics just so you can get an idea of how cool it would be.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

That 1911 looks like it would feel unbalanced.

3. Huevos

Huevos

That's an interesting concept but the only advantage to an Officers frame that I can think of is concealment in a canted holster. It holds fewer rounds and is, at least for me, more difficult to get a good grip on. If concealment is what you're looking for you can get the same results by bob-tailing a full sized frame without sacrificing round count. Something to think about anyway....

4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

5. The_Drizzle

I thought that too, but eventhough I have never shot one, I don't think it could be worse than a long slide or a full rail with a light or something.

6. The_Drizzle

Yeah, but everyone and their mom is getting full size frames bob-tailed. I personally don't mind the smaller grip on officer models and think this would be a unique pistol.

7. Huevos

Huevos

Yes, it would be unique and if your hands fit the grip I think it would be a great shooter and, of course, Detonics have a rep for being great shooters. Just remember, you'll have 15% less ammo.... :wavey:

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

9. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I concur.

10. ajgranda

ajgranda

I would bobtail a full size before doing that.

11. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

I'd bobtail over the chop everytime. I think there is probably a good reason why no one else is making or asking for these.

The thought is neat, and it would be one for the collection, but I'd rather carry a bobtail with all my rounds.

12. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

It's definately different. You can rest assured that noone else at the range is going to be shooting one also.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Interesting concept,.........

15. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

A Caspian Basic frame has a smaller "window" than a Colt, probably so they can trim the same rough casting to all butt lengths. You could buy a GM frame to get the right rail and dustcover lengths for a 5" slide and barrel, then cut the butt down to OACP length. You would then have to drill and tap for the lower grip screw bushing and drill for the mainspring housing retaining pin, but there would be plenty of metal there for the purpose.

Heck, ask Gary Smith at Caspian, they might do it for you. If so it would likely cost less than having a gunsmith modify a finished frame.

I can't recommend a gunsmith for the build, my guy won't take mailorder. But any reputable 1911 shop could handle it. Might take a while with one of the big names. Maybe Fusion would do a special.

16. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

I like the idea. I plan on trying as many 1911 builds as I can once I start gunsmith school in Colorado. I think I might give one a try just because it's so different. It would be a good thing to add to my bag of tricks while I'm learning.

17. The_Drizzle

very nice.

Thanks for the info. Jim Watson. That sounds like it might be the thing to do.