Make your webcam be motion activated security cam

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Camper10, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Camper10

Camper10

I was messing around and got this to work. REALLY EASY.

www.webcamxp.com was the best after downloading a lot and trying them.

Plug in 1 or even 6 webcams. Turn on the motion activation mode (you can adjust sensitivity) and it saves the images to your hard drive.

Even does web broadcasting so you can view at work (open ports in firewall...)

Mine is in my window looking at the front yard and street. Snaps 2-3 pics of each car.

Background: neighbors house broken into 3 weeks ago...I saw the car, 3 guys in a Lexus ls400, about 130pm. Or was it an avalon??? Another robbery mid afternoon about 5 years ago. Maybe I should move...

I need to buy one more webcam and mount it near the gun cabinet.

2. Kona

Kona

Thats cool! I always thought about doing something like that! What kind of cameras do you use? Also, I too believe you should move!:whistling:

3. Camper10

Camper10

I just have a cheap one, 640x480. Need to get a nicer one. Might try one of those 1.3MP that are fairly inexpensive. Local microcenter has a 2-pack for $40. I might go pick up.

I think the snow messed mine up. It's in the house of course, but ever since all that WHITE light came in it's not doing too good.

4. ray9898

ray9898

How is the free version? Completely crippled or usable?

5. jonm61

jonm61

Two burglaries in 5 years isn't that bad. If you want to move, move, but personally, I wouldn't move over that. Anywhere you go, even in a gated community, there will be burglaries.

I like the webcam idea. I've thought about it since seeing that lady on TV who caught burglars in the act and got the police there in time to catch them. I haven't worried about it much, partly because of the neighborhood and partly because of my dog.

If anyone's stupid enough to break in while I'm here...

The way this house is laid out, it's entirely possible for someone who doesn't do their homework before a burglary to try it while I'm here. My garage door is on the back of the house and isn't visible from the front. It looks like no one is here all the time, unless my roommate's fiance is here, because she parks out front.

I've never seen a house laid out this way, though I understand the reason, and once I move out of here, I will not live in another one like it. We have to do a 3-point turn to get into or out of the garage.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. Camper10

Camper10

you have to run the Pro version for the motion activated part. That's what mine is.

7. Camper10

Camper10

There is one called Dorgem that is a free download.

It's tricky setting it up but keep clicking buttons and you'll figure it out.

http://dorgem.sourceforge.net/