close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Make BTT against the rules.

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Glenn E. Meyer, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Folks, I believe in the market place of ideas. If a topic is no longer drawing meaningful replies then it sinks down the page.

However, some folks are rather self-indulgent and just post a BTT to move it to the top.

I am particularly annoyed by folks posting the usual TFL blather in GNG and with a tear in their eye, BTT'ing it.

Sorry TFL is dead. That's the marketplace. If you want to post a TFL like pseudo-rhethorical page of blather - that's nice. But let it stand on its own. If you have nothing to say, cut out the BTT.

I'm not so sure the sticky idea is a good one either unless used informationally by moderators - maybe that's how it's mainly done.

Rant off.

2. Belco45

Belco45 Senior Member

Can't you just post your message in English using real words?

3. Guest

what does BTT mean ?

4. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

What part did you not understand??

5. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Bump To Top

6. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

7. Aces

Aces

Bullcrap. How many times does a good thread get bumped down because of all the other inane blather that gets posted? You might not get to see a thread that interests you because it's been bumped into oblivion by JLB only,one man thread or some other nonsensical garbage.
    If Glenn doesn't care about TFL then why even click on the threads that reference it to begin with?

8. Aces

Aces

9. Guest

< irony >
    please BTT
    < /irony >

10. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Glenn has a good point. I too agree that BTT tends to be an overused device. Yes, there are threads in which I'm interested that I would like to see remain on the front page, but one can't force interest...and using BTT oftentimes resembles a group of fourth graders all clamoring for Teacher's attention ("Listen to me! Listen to me!"). Likewise, this touches on when to let a thread die. There are thousands of very useful and "good" threads at GT. Does that mean they should all be bumped in perpetuity?

And just as it's no great shakes to skip past the threads you aren't interested in, it is also very easy to go into page two, three, or whatever to find that bumped-down thread you consider "good." Or bookmark the thread. But polluting (for lack of a better term) an otherwise useful thread with numerous BTTs tends to dilute the quality of the thread, at least in my opinion. It tends to solicit less-than-meaningful contributions.

I'm going back to my corner now. :)

Goalie

11. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

12. CavVet

CavVet Colt .45 CCW

when I see ideal coming from pro gunners that seem to me to be anti arguments.....

IMHO, if Glenn wasnt a firearms enthusiast, he would be one of the Brady bunch calling for something else to be banned......

13. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I'm going back to my corner now.
    Goalie,
    As with any stream of information the reader can decide what they want to look at and what to ignore. I feel the BTT is an important tool to make sure that a large community of users can look at and comment on things that get buried. Many topics may not be general knowledge in the community so a larger number of folks may need to see it in order to get a good cross section of opinion(or any at all) that will be helpful to the poster.
    If I'm off GT for 1 day I have over 15pages of stuff to review as new. Most of the time I don't get thru it all. The BTT gives me another opportunity to run across something of interest and the time it takes to blow off a BTT that I'm not interested in is insignificant.

14. Navy joe

Navy joe TFL Member

Everyone must see this important info. BTT ;)