close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Major9 glock completed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TimWarner, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started as a 17c

Carver mount- undercut slide-ride mount, redrilled/tapped to move as far back as possible, with C-more sight.
    KKM drop in barrel- throated by SJC, SJC comp, ported by myself
    C-port slots removed, port hole, and lowered ejection port.
    Slightly undercut trigger guard, removed finger grooves, trugrip tape
    Dawson heavy ice magwell
    SJC slide racker and mag release button
    reshaped and polished slide release
    extended tungsten guide rod, trimmed to fit with comp, 15# ISMI spring
    titanium striker

Trigger is a home job.
    Bronze bushing added to the trigger, pre and overtravel adjustments added. Reworked trigger safety as well.
    .090" travel (has to stay long to keep safeties working), breaks around 2#
    I may end up scrapping the tape and doing a stipple job, I'm just not sure what kind of stippling I want to do right now, so trugrip does fine.

Running 8.8-9gr of HS-6 under a 115gr JHP, the dot barely twitches.
    8.3gr of HS-6 under a 124gr takes some of the snap away from the recoil, but allows a little muzzle flip.

So, first full project is done, minus refinishing.

How did I do?

2. salvo

salvo Pass the ammo

Looks great Tim!

3. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

Very nice; I always thought that a Glock like that is a great way to an open gun. I recommend a stippling job if you like a lot of traction (I do) I just did an XD and I really love the way it feels.

Have you ran thru any stages with it yet??

Adam

4. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Saturday will be it's USPSA debut, as well as mine.

5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Looks nice. :cool: What spring are you running and can you get it to cycle with standard loads?

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

15# is as light as I can go, on a slightly cut down extended tungsten rod. Under 15# and the return to battery isn't as positive.

Works fine with WWB, the comp is super light, and the ports are quite a bit smaller than the factory C porting.

Lighter(factory) loads don't handle nearly as nice though, have to get close to major for everything to level out.

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Nice,

This one was built for major?

8. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I built this intending to shoot major, and had John @ SJC throat the barrel for a longer OAL(kkm drop ins are throated for factory length) in order to more safely load to major velocity.

with the 15# spring, my stock load of a 147gr Zero JHP over 4.0gr of unique works fine. WWB also functions, though I get a FTE once in awhile. If I drop the spring down to 13#, it all runs fine.

Most of the Major loads I've shot ejected fine, but I found I had to tune the ejector a little to get lighter loads to work reliably. Biggest benefit to this was my major brass all lands in a nice pile now.

9. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

TW,

What speed do you come up with useing 147gr.fmj over 4.0 unique,doesn't look like it makes major.

Also,
    What did you do to the ejector,lengthen it?

BTY,
    Who made the mag catch/release button?

10. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

the 4.0 unique under a 147gr is my stock load, as in... good basic not too hot, not too soft load for all my 9mm's. Haven't bothered to chrono it, since it doesn't really matter.

The ejector tuning is currently a trade secret, along with the details of the trigger. I can say it involves more than lengthening it.

As far as the slide racker and mag button go, they're made by S-J-customs, and can also be obtained at www.cpwsa.com

One of these days I'm going to switch the racker over to a ball and detent so it's easier to pull down for cleaning or spring changes.

You can't see in the pictures, but I cut down an extended tungsten guide rod just enough so it wouldn't hit the comp. The added length and taper make changing recoil springs a lot easier than using a stock length guide rod.

11. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

TW,
    So what load are you going to use that makes 165PF to make major?
    If the ejector mod you do is a trade secret,then what your saying is that you market this mod?
    Lenghtening,bending left or right and angle cutting the end is about the only thing's that can be done anyway,not really a big secret,been done to 1911's for decades.
    Useing differant spring weights and cutting differant spring weights usually works fine for fine tunning.

12. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

TW,

Sorry,didn't remember your HS-6 loadings in your first post,but is 8.3 to 8.9 safe enough?Max in one of my reloading manuals(didn't check the others)for 125gr.is 6.8,115gr.is 7.2.

13. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I don't think any book loads make major in 115 or 124gr. Major9 is above +p specs, most factory +p+ doesn't even make major.

9gr of HS-6 with a 115gr is about a 170pf depending on the temp.
    8.8gr of HS-6 with a 115gr is about a 167pf.

Major(165pf) for 115gr is 1434fps
    124gr is 1330fps
    147gr is 1122fps (there are book loads that make major, VV 3n38)

I believe most people load to about a 167pf, to have a little buffer zone. Gotta be careful cutting it too close, since most bullet weights vary a little, and combined with temp/velocity differences could make you score on the high PF side of minor.

I've got a sheet of a bunch of major loads here...

http://home.comcast.net/~twarner21609/files/major9.xls

Use at your own risk, work up from book loads.

I started at about mid book load and worked up in .2gr increments for my major stuff. The spreadsheet I just put together as a reference for what other people have used.

OAL is very important, load as long as possible to keep pressure down. A lot of those loads are for 1911's so the OAL can be longer than most other 9mm's.

14. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

TW,

Good for you,you've done your home work well.Just wanted to make sure,as i haven't used HS-6 before,which means i've never tested or crono'ed it.
    Good info.for others that might be interested in useing HS-6.

I know you mentioned addressing the barrel throat,free boreing can also help releive pressure.

15. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

It's also important to work up loads for EACH BARREL. Depending on the throating pressure can be drastically increased.

Also, do not substitute bullets, even though they are the same weight.

If you work up a load with one bullet, changing can increase pressure.

Different bullet profiles can put more of the bullet in contact with the rifling, increasing pressure. Also, jacket thickness or hardness may vary from brand to brand, which can also change your pressure.

16. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

That's correct,also polygonal barrels will yeild more pressure because of their tighter seal.

17. GlockRacer

GlockRacer

So how was the first outing? I'm excited to hear how that beauty did!! Awesome first build!

18. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

well, long story short. When I was online getting directions to the match I noticed the headline "2 gun match, rifle and shotgun only"

So I didn't go(no rifle or shotgun yet)

Turns out, since last months pistol match was canceled, they ran pistols this month but didn't change the calendar, and the person with the club who I was in contact with forgot to mention it.

So... hopefully I'll be able to pick up a match somewhere else before next month. Though, it's hard to find matches around here in the winter.

19. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Tim, are you coming to the pin-match Saturday? I have the boxes of +P+ munchies you wanted. Would like to try that trigger now that you've got it where you want it. (At least we shouldn't have to wear our Arctic Musk-Ox outerwear this time...) ;f

;?

20. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I'm really happy with where the trigger is now, for both the full travel and short travel versions I have. Not quite sure how it compares to a rhea right now, but the short travel version about has my kimber beat.