close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Major Subcompact??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by SgtWes, Nov 27, 2002.

1. SgtWes

SgtWes

I know we are a strange breed, those who enjoy shooting big bullets out of a small gun but, are they trying to get rid of the catigory. I have won it twice (LA, WA) and feel a little cheated. In comparison with other catigories there are fewer shooters but, maybe if they started giving a gun for 1st and nothing for second maybe somemore people would pull out their 29's, 30's and 36's and give it a chance. What are the chances of getting the rules changed, I would even be agreeable to a win three matches and get a gun kind of thing. Any one have any ideas on this subject?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

SgtWes;
    The gave a new Glock to 1st place all last year and the participation just kept falling. It got to the point that it was not cost effective so this season they stopped giving a gun to the winner. So obviously it doesn't matter whether they award a gun or not there are just not enough shooters to justify it.

3. SgtWes

SgtWes

I don't know, I think it must be more in politics. When you look at participation your right, your only get 10-15 shooters in MajorSub, however when you compare it to Law enforcement, they give a gun and $450 in prizes and if there are more than 30 shooters they will go into the lewis prize system. and give a second gun and more money, given glock sells more pistols to law enforcement. I guess I am just whining since it is the only catigory that I have ever won.

4. Willard

Willard Who, me?

I posted along these lines when they made the rule change for this year.

In the past, I always shot in MajorSub, in addition to other categories. Now, I shoot my G30 in Subcompact, instead of MajorSub. Since I am limited to shooting in four categories, I'm not going to "sacrifice" my chances of winning a gun by shooting in MajorSub rather than Subcompact.

It seems to me that GSSF should either drop MajorSub (sorry, G36 fans), or award a gun. Either one or the other, but not how they do it now.

5. Don At PC

SgtWes;
    Yes, I do absolutely believe it is because of lack of participation and not politics. Here is why. I just checked all 25 matches that have been held so far this year, out of all 25 matches there were a total of 198 majsub shooters which averages to 7.92 majsub shooters per match. Here is the breakdown:

1 match had 1 shooter
    1 match had 2 shooters
    4 matches had 3 shooters
    2 matches had 4 shooters
    1 match had 6 shooters
    1 match had 7 shooters
    6 matches had 8 shooters
    2 matches had 9 shooters
    2 matches had 10 shooters
    1 match had 11 shooters
    1 match had 12 shooters
    1 match had 16 shooters
    1 match had 18 shooters
    1 match had 19 shooters

ALL matches awarded $75.00 for first place. I think the numbers speak for themselves. There were only 7 matches out of the 25 shoot so far that had 10 or more intered in the Majsub. category, and 8 of the 25 had 4 or less.

Had some time on my hands as you can see, but these are facts right off the finak match results sheets for all 25 matches.

6. Don At PC

Willard; I hate to see the G36 folks get left out but in all honesty I would just as soon see the MajSub category get dropped. The numbers support that it is not cost effective. GSSF was trying to reward those few who entered the MajSub category and not leave them out. The $75 is not a bad prize but its not a new Glock but many of the matches so far this year didn't even suport the $75 prize but it was still awarded.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I think if GSSF would provide pistol information, you would find the G30 winning Major Sub most of the time, with very few G36 entries coast to coast. A G30 and G29 can already compete in 4 categories. I for one would like to see the Major Sub Category discontinued in 2003. If it is continued, it should be for G36's only, with a pistol awarded when there are 20 or more entries (which might be never).

8. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

hmmmm. I was just thinking it might be nice to shoot Major Sub. But, I guess it would just be for fun?

If they aren't going to pay out (as much)...why not drop the entry fee?

As is, it likely isn't worth the effort and the $20.

bummer. :(

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I'm afraid Major sub is your basic dead horse.

Better just shoot Unlimited instead. ;f

10. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

11. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I thought it was ALL about fun and not the payouts;d I must have been misled. Probably by Fireglock.;)

12. Fireglock

Well it is all about fun, but a pistol certificate every now and again never hurt anyone either did it? :)

13. DannyR

I don't know. It's been all fun and no certificates for me so far.;)

There are several other popular shooting sports that offer no prizes whatsoever.

14. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Danny,

Glock should give you one for your Loyal Support.

15. TJC

Not at all!;e

But I did miss the fun more than the certificates. I made more money this year in OT than I ever did with the certs. ;f But it wasn't as much fun doing it. :(

Also missed making the plates ring. Love those plates!

16. DannyR

Next year the plates should be renamed "The Costanza Challange."
    ;+

17. TJC

Danny,

You just gave 2 GSSF employees with red shirts in Smyrna heart attacks with that idea.;f

18. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I purchased a G36 JUST to compete in Major SubCompact. When the rules changed I sold the gun. I am all for having fun and it is great to meet the folks at the matches. I however wanted to win a gun and that was my best chance.

As it looks now I will be limited to the fun part of the equation.

19. Fireglock

FotoTomas, the first step in winning is to believe you can! :) The fun comes automatically, winning is a little harder in my experience! ;f Once you break 100 it's just a matter of time and practice.

20. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Therein lies the problem...practice.

At this time and place I am unable to practice any of the GSSF courses of fire. The only plates I shoot are at the matches. I do not have access to an outdoor range wher I can set up the stages. I am currently limited to a pair of indoor ranges with strict rules when it comes to shooting your targets.

I do attempt to shoot a lot within the limits of my situation. The 25 yard ranges gets a lot use before a GSSF match. I feel comfortable that I can shoot well enough to consistantly be in A class. My latest score of 101 shows I am on the right path. I just need "PRACTICE". At this point without plates, poppers and a range to set up I will continue to do most of my "practice" on the clock at the match.

I will however win a gun. I do not know when and I have no idea how much money I will spend but I will win a gun.

(My wife just told me to go buy a gun for christmas and stop yelling "PRACTICE" at the computer. :) )