Major new study shows stents and bypass surgery no more effective than drugs or diet controls

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Nov 16, 2019.

1. RenoF250

RenoF250

I just shoot a spoon of drano in the morning then chase it with bleach. Sure it burns a bit but.....

FullClip, sixgun2 and nursetim like this.
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Sometimes it’s just a simple as genetics and active lifestyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Surgeons like to rule.
    That is all.
    :)

4. Teecher45

Teecher45

I agree.
    I went though this on July 1. One stint then another about a month later.

“All of your numbers look great, you just had a heart attack.”

It’s what got my father eventually, but his didn’t start until he was 61, I knew it was coming, but I thought I had a few years left.

After a question and answer session, Doc said #2 cause for me was butter and salt.

No more butter and salt for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dafrank

Dafrank

All the questions here about the conditions, sponsorship and participants in the study are all very good ones. I think it is obvious, and supposedly even implicit in the study, that the authors are making conclusions about people with little or no previous treatment with drugs, diet and exercise to help reduce the chances of blocked artery dangers and not those with coronary heart disease so advanced that serious blockages are already at the disastrous stage.

Those who never took any precautions with their heart health who had later surgery may well do worse or the same as those who took all those precautions and never had surgery. But, most of us at least have taken some of those precautions anyway, so that to say that the majority of us would be better off without surgical intervention is quite misleading. It is only common sense that most of us would benefit most from both better diet, statins and exercise AND surgical treatment when those preventative measures aren't enough. This further leads me to believe two things: those who never give any thought to heart disease, but then develop truly closed arteries, will die sooner if treated with only drugs, at that stage of the disease, than those treated with the physical intervention of stents or open heart surgery; and, those who take preventative measures with drugs, diet and exercise will likely live longer, even though they may eventually need surgery to prolong their lives. This is not "rocket science", just common sense.

My mother, may she rest in peace, had early symptoms of coronary heart disease, and she generally moderated her diet, did moderate exercise and kept her weight down - even before "science" indicated to do this - but had inherited the proclivity in most of our family for arterial blockages to develop. She took statins, starting in her late 50's or early 60's. By her late 60's she began to have serious blockages and by her early 70's had her first stent - a very early example - put in, after a heart attack. She had the procedure four more times, sometimes putting in multiple stents. She died in her sleep at 97 years old, only suffering from increasing dementia her last two years. The lesson here is clear, I think: deal with the health hand you're dealt by God, do what you can to mitigate problems with your life choices, listen to your doctor if he or she gives you preventatives to help yourself, and don't turn down any one method available to help yourself, be it drugs, diet or surgery, letting common sense guide you. Good luck to all.

motorcycleman likes this.
  6. nmglock

nmglock

I have 5 stents and seem to be ok. I cannot take meds for high cholesterol. I do try to watch what I eat but stents have worked for me. Not a big deal in and out the same day.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

I had a nuclear stress test last year after a high calcium score. Cardiologist said I was OK, see you again in 6 years.