close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Major Faults In Popular Movies & TV Programs...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RayB, Mar 31, 2012.

1. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Now, I'm not necessarily talking about a given movie or show's premise, because outrageous and ridiculous is perfectly fine—it's Hollywood, after all.

I'm talking about blatant errors, technical mistakes, and violations of common sense... For example, here are three movies I enjoyed, that left me with obvious questions:

Jurassic Park...

When the helicopter landed at Dr. Grant's dig site in Montana, how did that old codger, Mr. Hammond, get into Grant's trailer ahead of everybody without being seen?

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial...

Why didn't ET just fly away at the very beginning, instead of running through the woods on those little flipper feet of his?

Star Trek: First Contact...

Why did The Borg, here and at Wolf 359 (see Star Trek TNG), send just one cube-ship? Their resources are vast... Why not send two ships and kick our asses?

Got any more? :dunno:

--Ray

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

New scrip tonight? :rofl: There's a really crappy pirate movie out there called Swashbuckler (w/ Robert Shaw?) and in the final battle, there's a DC-8 flying overhead on it's way into LAX. HH

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

At the beginning of the TV miniseries, Shogun, aerial shots of the 17th century sailing ship, Erasmus, included the shadow on the water of the Bell Ranger helicopter that carried the film crew... :whistling:

Other than that, the show was very good! :thumbsup:

--Ray

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I don't mind errors. (plane in background, shadow,,,) and I figure the Borg never had any issues before (one cube one civilization) (play on one Mountie, Ranger) :)

What gets me is when they BUILD UP on a theme. Its one you have seen before and then they not only drop it but FAIL in dropping it.

I.E. just watched the 2004? Dawn of the dead. In the beginning the female nurse goes in bathroom, falls in tub (you can see her BARE FEET in air) Then climbs out window (using BARE FEET to kick her "zombie" BF) then limps down street, walking across mall (in BARE FEET) and they pan down a few times so I expect something.
    At mall they toss a toilet thru plate glass window and she WALTZs thru broken glass (bare feet) without a care. THEN instead of taking new shoes,socks from shelves she grabs a pair of shoes from LOST AND FOUND...... Not even in delated scenes did they do anything with this "DIE HARD" moment.
    I mean really. When she crashs car have her slide on her "work" shoes from car or something. I actually had a neighbor gal who went barefoot in summer. What she could walk across was amazing. I tried it with just thin rubber. (a pair of slip over gloshes that were too small to go over my shoes) worn over socks. Stones, other stuff hurt me feet. That a Nurse could run over pavement, under bridges, across malls barefoot.... Only thing I can figure is director had a foot fetish. :0

Then of course the SEALS, DELTA, etc doing a slow/silent aproach and THEN chamber a rd. (after walking with gun against shoulder for 10 minutes) The gun going empty (slide locked back) 2 rds into a 20 rd string.... Those are bad enough.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

In The Usual Suspects, the police air plane Boeing 747 loses two of its four engines and suddenly transforms into Boeing 767.

Spiderman, where after a fight, Spiderman saves Mary Jane and badly broke two windows on the brick wall. However, the window mends itself and they were perfectly intact after the fight.

in the the Crow. funboy gets shot on bed , you can see the squib tube coming out of pants leg

in bar scene Gideon is drinking at bar , shot glass has little in it
    next shot its full

shadow of the crow in stairwell , you here flapping wings but the shadow shows a crow just sitting there

American Pie

In the bedroom scene the girl is holding a clear cup full of beer. The camera goes off her and when it comes back she is holding a blue cup. The camera goes back off her then on her and the cup is clear again.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The T-1000 punches his body through the window of a helicopter to get inside. An instant later, the hole in the windshield is gone

6. trifecta

trifecta

Every movie where the fire sprinklers go off all at the same time or because they pull a standard fire alarm.

7. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

In "Gremlins" when the female lead gets pushed back into a Christmas tree, you can see the arms of the stunt backup sticking out of it to catch her.

8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I'm assuming your referring to major faults aside from the major A-Hole Liberals that make the movies and programs right?:whistling:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

In the movie The Sum Of All Fears, the Russians attacked a US aircraft carrier in the North sea with anti-ship missiles launched from backfire bombers. The missiles were only detected by the carrier's radar. Where were the E2C Hawkeye's that would be on patrol with their radar far from the carrier. The bombers should have been detected before they even launched missiles. Some of the missiles were destroyed by Vulcan cannons and several hit the carrier. Also, why were there no fighters on patrol? All after all, A US city was nuked and the carrier was in potentially hostile waters.
    Even in peacetime a carrier at sea often deploys air patrols.
    Some directors and writers think the public is stupid I guess. :dunno:

10. CAcop

CAcop

Any TV show or movie that shows people driving across LA county in less than a couple of hours.

11. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

If you watch TV, you deserve what you get. Which is crap.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

There are many faults but this is like the hindsight is 20/20 or the Monday/Armchair quarterbacking. Having things not perfect or sensible can be entertaining. If everything made sense or was perfect it would be boring. Its easy to second guess and idea but would one person's idea of how something be better sell a movie better, maybe but not necessarily. That being said in the movie Independence Day (great f--king movie), why didn't the aliens keep more of their ships together. 3 or 4 ships as a team would have won the war and left them less vulnerable.

:50cal:

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Rambo: First Blood Part II...

Rambo launches a LAW shoulder rocket from the pilot's seat of a gunship (helicopter), with a group of rescued POW's sitting behind him... In fact, as I recall the scene, he fired the thing right through the ship's windscreen... Uh, I don't think so...

Rambo's action would have torched the POW's behind him, and probably led to the destruction of his own gunship! Pretty uncool for a highly trained, special ops, elite fighting man!

Star Trek: The Next Generation...

Basic weapons safety training seems to have been passed over by Star Fleet... In any give episode, the away-team think nothing of muzzle sweeping one another or even holding conversations with a phaser pointed right at each other!

Black Beauty...

My wife caught this little detail, as she's pretty much an expert when it comes to horses: One scene depicts the famous stallion as a young foal, grazing in a pasture, as he lifts his tail, we see that he has undergone an obvious sex change!

--Ray

P.S. Again, I am addressing movies and shows I actually like!

14. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

I thought of one the other night when the film Napoleon Dynamite was on television. Now that it's been pointed out to me, I can't "not" notice it anymore.

In real life, the actor who plays Uncle Rico is a hardcore vegan. In the movie, his character is almost constantly eating medium rare steak. In at least 3 or 4 scenes, you can see him chewing the steak, then spitting it into his hand or into a napkin/paper towel to discard it.

It happens twice in a scene where he is standing in the kitchen and at least once in a different scene where he is sitting on the front porch of the house.

Once you know it's there, it is very, very obvious that he is spitting his food out.

15. RayB

RayB Retired Member

A fair question. But by analogy, do we group aircraft carriers in battle? I honestly don't know... Like our carriers, their ships were supposed to be protected by their fighter squadrons. :dunno:

I also like Independence Day! But about that...

Am I to understand that David (Jeff Goldblum—who's a great actor, by the way!), in a matter of a few hours wrote virus code for alien software? :upeyes:

No wonder Bill Gates is so flipping rich! Even the aliens are using Microsoft... :rofl:

--Ray

16. badge315

badge315

At the end of ID4 when they show the crashed alien ship in Africa...who shot that one down? All I saw were a bunch of villagers waving pointy sticks.:dunno:

Not to mention that they totally glossed over the fact that a significant portion of the earth's population was wiped out in a couple of days.

17. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Die Hard 2: Die Harder...

Aside from the infamous Glock 7 BS... This movie has bad guys swapping blanks for live rounds in automatic weapons at the last moment... Uh, you can't actually do that... Autoloaders must be modified to cycle with blanks, and simply popping in live rounds would result in a very pretty KABOOM! :wow:

A little detail, no? :dunno:

--Ray

18. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

We've been watching Eureka on Netflix. It bothers me how this week they'll act like last week's technology no longer exists. In one episode, Carter has a vest that will let him walk through walls. In the next, Joe and Zane are trapped in an "instantanium" boot. Nobody thinks to go down to Section 5 to grab the vest?

19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I'm guessing most of you guys don't have girl friends or wifes.

20. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

In Ghostbusters at the end when the building is breaking apart and huge chunks of concrete are falling you can see huge pieces bouncing off the wood police barriers.

And pretty much anything where the do CPR. lol so weak!