close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maine Deer hunt (pics)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by IPSC-1, Nov 19, 2002.

1. IPSC-1

IPSC-1 Insta-Gator

Spent the 8th thru the 17th in Somerset county Maine. Hunted my *** off, saw one buck but didn't have a shot. I shot this doe on Thursday evening after hunting pheasant and quail(over dogs)all day.
    I shot her when she stepped out of the treeline that I was watching. The pasture/field belongs to my family and they keep horses. One horse in particular is very much like a dog, follows you everywhere. When I squeezed the trigger, forementioned horse was literally standing over me (I was laying the the weeds). Needless to say, the horse jumped about two feet in the air. Lucky the ole' bastard didn't come down on top of me.
    102 lbs dressed. I had a doe tag (any deer permit). I wanted a buck so I held out as long as I could. It was a good day.
    I used a Ruger M77 30-06 w/ 150 gr Federal classic. At 120 yds it dropped her in her tracks. Stay tuned for venison jerky pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Interesting story IPSC-1,

No doubt the deer were used to the presence of the horses. Talk about good concealment!;e ;c

3. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Nice job! What the heck is that Doe hanging from all the way up there?

Cheers!
    Glen

4. IPSC-1

IPSC-1 Insta-Gator

She's just hanging from a big branch. I use a section of rebar thru the rear tendons, held with a piece of thick wire. Its worked since I was a kid, no need to change my system.
    It has to be high up or the coyotes will pull it down. Those little bastards are stronger than you think. Lost a small buck to them one year...and they lost about half the pack to my AR-15.
    I'm sure she's frozen solid by now. Almost time to bring her to the meat cutters. My cousin shot a smaller doe that was hanging out back in the shed so mine wasn't even touched yet.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Congratulations IPSC-1!