close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mags

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

I bought a Guns and Ammo publication dedicated to the evil black rifle. In this rag was a section on AR maintenance. They said to put a Graphite lube in the mags. I bought a dry lube from Hoppes, turn up it is a Teflon lube. Should I get a Graphite lube or will the Teflon lube work as well:headscratch: :dunno:

2. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

I have some 20 round mags I have used since the late 1960's and none of them has ever given me a problem and none has ever had any lube. In the 1970's and again in the 1980's and in 1995 I field stripped them and ran a brush through and that's it.

On the other hand, if you are convinced you need to lube then use a dry lube as any petroleum based lube will attract crud and you probably will eventually have a problem.

Continued use in a hostile environment may affect function but the areas I have been in have caused no problems related to the environment.

3. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

4. goblue

goblue

Lube on mags?

Run em dry. No dirt collection that way.

5. D-DAY

D-DAY "Sexy Sharp"

You know okie, you made me use my brain for a minute on this one. And, it formulated a question and an idea.

How about graphite? I worked for the post office years ago and they would give me this little plastic bottle of graphite witha needle point on it, and tell me to go and inject it in all the locks to smooth out the action. That stuff worked great. It made locks that you couldn't even get a key into, much less turn, as smooth as silk.

I don't see how it would hurt a mag. I wouldn't put it directly in my gun action, but I don't really think it would hurt anything anyway.

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff for gun use??? I may be way off base, but it seems good in theory.

How about SuperLube Dri Film? I use it around the house and it works fine on hinges and things.

6. goblue

goblue

many mags are now teflon dry coated. you may already have a mag that is

7. flatfender

flatfender TheCatCameBack

No lube, no graphite, no nothin' is need if your mags are straight, clean and not rusty.

I mostly run new D&H teflon mags with the chrome springs & green followers. Even my old Colt and Labelle mags (15+years) run fine without lube. If you have mags that are not feeding right after a good cleaning, get new good quality mags. They can be had for $10 each.

I bought some more recently at 44mag.com

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Thanks for the tips everyone;) :cool: I will just keep'em clean then:supergrin:

9. Eric911

Eric911 Millennium Member

That's a solution to a non-existent problem. No need for the added hassle, expense, mess, etc.