close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mags loaded at all times?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JETHRO29, Feb 3, 2010.

1. JETHRO29

JETHRO29

How many of you guys keep your mags loaded at all times?
    I have 2 GLOCKS and I am always loading one set of mags then unloading them and loading the others so the springs will not wear out, but I always think what if I need them and they are not loaded and do not have time to be loading mags with bullets fying at me!
    I would really love to hear some opinions on this!
    THANKS!

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Always, all the time, handy too.

3. Raiderman

Raiderman

Leave them loaded. You'll be OK.

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Most popular gun question & the most asked. It's ok to keep them loaded. Springs wear out from using them. Not by having them compressed for periods of time.
    I keep all my SD mags loaded at all times. My rifle mags have 30 rounds in them at all times.

5. samuse

samuse

Load the mags and leave 'em alone. Your inducing more wear by constantly loading and unloading them. I have a ****load of Glock mags that I load when I'm bored and I let 'em sit until I feel like shooting. I like to shoot a lot, but I have had a few mags sit around loaded for about a year or so. Hardly a long time.

6. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

Always loaded. I've got mags that have been loaded for over 20 years.

7. raw6464

raw6464

Just to be a exclamation point on what's already said, you are doing more harm than good by the load/reload cycle. It's that cycling that "wears" the springs out. The spring after its initial compression will maintain its resilience if held at a steady state at any point in its designed compression operating range.

8. HK Dan

HK Dan

Yep, I'm with the crowd. Always loaded, all the time.

I use 24 mags in USPSA, all loaded, all the time. I shoot them out in practice and at matches, and load 'em up when I get home. I use 18 mags in 9mm for IDPA--same deal. Carry mags are always loaded.

I have magazine springs on hand--I mean a LOT of magazine springs--but in 10 years I may have used...2? Not a big deal.

Dan

9. bcmclane

bcmclane

As others have said, what you are doing is actually wearing them out. Leaving them loaded does not wear them out.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

No reason not to leave them loaded.

11. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

i have 3 mags that after i ran a few rounds through them i loaded them up with my sd rounds and keep them loaded. 1 in the gun at all times when i'm not shooting at the range and the other two are usually in my range bag or i will throw one or two in the car or a pocket if i think i'm going to need a reload. i also usually have my 33 round mag loaded with plinking ammo in my vehicle somewhere incase i ever have my gun and decide that i want to shoot at something but not waste my expensive sd ammo. then i have 2 mags that i use at the range and 1 mag that has orange tape on the bottom that is a designated dummy round mag. that one gets loaded and unloaded the most because i use those dummy rounds in dryfire practice. i haven't had any malfunctions yet with the orange tape mag and that will sometimes get loaded and unloaded 5 to 10 times in a day.

12. ScottCBA1

ScottCBA1

I have five mags between my two different handguns and all five are loaded at all times.

-Scott

13. SidX

SidX NRA Member

I keep them loaded and I don't worry about it.

14. Kwanger

Kwanger

Always loaded here too...then "unloaded" at the range about a week later (I go once a week). Then loaded back up again on return to await the next trip....no probs

15. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Is there any other way? How can you NOT leave them loaded?

In the immortal, infamous words words of Mr. Tony Soprano , slightly before butt****ing Gloria Trillo....

"There's nothing more useless than an unloaded gun...."

and same thing goes for the magazines.

16. lil'Zeus

lil'Zeus

I know the spring get worn from cycling, but what about the constant pressure on the feed lips? I know in AR platform weapons systems, a loaded mag can bend the feed lips up and cause weapons malfunctions...

Thoughts??????

Thanks
    Shane

17. knattyman

knattyman Big Daddy

All mags loaded at all times, SD mags never leave my EDC, rifle mags loaded to the max 30 rds AR, 3-0 Rds AK

18. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

i load mine with 6 or 7. The spare mag is unloaded. I figure if i need more than 7 shots i'm in deep trouble anyways, (what, preparing for a fire-fight in my Orange county neighborhood or something lol) I have a pre-ban high capacity ruger p85, same thing - i live in Kalifornia and you'll never be able to buy high-cap mags ever again here, 10 is the limit,( wouldnt surprise me if they try to make all guns single shot in this stupid state.) But they're legal if you got them before the ban - (you gotta have a dated receipt ;-) )

19. JETHRO29

JETHRO29

Thanks for all your thoughs guys! Thats why I love this site!:supergrin:
    I will keep them loaded and get some extra Mag springs to keep in my tool box.

20. biggin215

biggin215

All my mags are loaded at all times... maybe once a month or every two months i will move the round around to keep the cases from deforming. Everything I have experienced and heard from professionals, the mags springs don't wear out for a LOOOOOOONG time.

My AR is a different story. I only keep 25 rounds in the 30 round mags