Mags for FN 15...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glock21sf-miami, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Fellow GTers,

Just got an FN 15 Tactical II in 5.56 as my first AR. Trying to get some mags for it before it arrives and there are so many options that I figured I would start by getting some input here. I understand that all metal mags tend to get bent when dropped and maybe plastic on metal are more durable. Any suggestions?

BC42 likes this.
  2. BC42

BC42

Congrats on the new rifle!

Magpul Pmags would be my first choice. If you want metal feed lips, Lancer.

pgg00 likes this.

3. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I've got some M3 Pmags I keep loaded with the dust covers which, I read, help keep the feed lip area from opening up. I also have a couple of M2 PMags for the range.

Glock21sf-miami likes this.
  4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Lancer
    USGI mags
    HK

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    In all the years I’ve been shooting ARs, and millions of rounds fired or around for I suspect I’ve seen less than 50 ruined by dropping.

Yes, metal can bend. Poly can break or get weak. Springs will wear out, feedlips will wear.

All magazines are a wear item. They will go bad with enough use.

vikingsoftpaw, pgg00, Tbags and 2 others like this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black

If I were you I'd buy a 10 pack of Magpul Gen 3 PMAGs and a 10 pack of D&H GI mags from BCM or PSA. Then when you need more mags someday pick up more of the one you like. Or pick up just a couple of each to try out. You can throw Lancer in the mix too, since they're some of my favorite mags. But I can't really say they do anything better.

Tbags likes this.
  7. ottomatic

ottomatic

Not your run of the mill mags, but in addition to the previously mentioned, i got a dozen Beretta AR mags. They are sturdier than any others, but somewhat pricey.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I’m a big fan of the Pmag. Preference to the M3, but M2 is still good and great for training.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

USGI metal mags are still the most durable and most trouble free. Look for mags from Okay industries... There are other manufacturers as well. When things get back to normal you can pick these up for less than $10/10 on sale. They are far more durable than many here think. The downside is they are not the most tacticool option.

PMAGs suck IMO. Load one, stick it in a drawer and get back to me in year....the lips will spread apart and make the magazine worthless. I have a couple dozen and the longer I own them the more I hate them. PMAGs can have fit issues in some manufacturers receivers. (tight)

The Lancer mags are exceptionally good hybrid metal/polymer mags that eliminate the problems of the PMAGs but they are relatively expensive to USGI in comparison.

I agree with AK....magazines are an expendable wear item.

faawrenchbndr and Tbags like this.
  10. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Interesting, I thought PMAGS were at the top of the pile, since the FN is shipped with one of those magazines from the factory...

I'll check out Lancer and USGI...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  11. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

There several magazines that I would recommend.

MAGPUL PMAGs
    Lancer L5s
    Troy Industries Battlemags
    USGI type metal magazines (D&H and BCM are good ones and priced very reasonably)

You cannot go wrong with any of these.

pgg00 likes this.
  12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Do a search on Youtube...you'll find multiple vids like this which matches my experience as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNQ7IOl5s

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

I’m waaaaaaay over a year on any of my Pmags. Infact I have mags from deployment in 2010 that are still going strong. So I can’t really agree with the whole get back to you in a year bit.

But aluminum mags work fine too.

pgg00 likes this.
  14. pgg00

pgg00

Pmags are my go too. Duty ones stay loaded for a year in my patrol car. Never had any issues with them

AK_Stick likes this.
  15. ACE31

ACE31

USGI or Pmags are both your best choice for the $. Unless you want to spend more money for the Beretta or HK mags.

16. Jack Black

Jack Black

The reason I recommended gen 3 PMAGs is because they have changed the polymer they use over the years. Although now that I think about it I believe I read they switched their gen 2 mags to the new polymer as well.

Gen 3 PMAGs have also proven to be the most reliable in military testing under all conditions. But that's not really a factor to me because I'm not worried about shooting in subzero temperatures or anything, and a lot of mags have a reputation for reliability. Lancer mags, for example, supposedly didn't do great in some of the testing, but they're still some of my favorite mags and generally have a great reputation for reliability.

This is based on info on m4carbine.net, BTW. A Magupl rep used to post there a lot and sometimes would provide links to testing, etc.