Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So, I’ve noticed with high power rounds my G21 spits out the mags every three or so rounds. Let me get this out of the way first: no, my grip isn’t engaging mag release. I’ve bought new mags, new mag release springs, extra power Wolff mag springs, new slide locks, releases, tried different power recoil springs. I’m getting the idea that the gun just wasn’t designed to shoot more powerful rounds and that this is a feature, not a bug. There’s no unusual wear inside the grip. I don’t get it. They’re being forced out somehow. Could be the slide doing it but how? I’m stumped. Shouldn’t have sold that HK USP.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I did was buy four new mags. I used a white marker to outline all of the contact surfaces. Result? No obvious weird wear pattern that would tell me anything

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Ammo? Reloads?

Mags blowing out is a symptom of a KBoom (safety valve). You may be living on the edge.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn’t make a difference. Could be factory like Underwood or reloads. I don’t think they’re kabooms as there is no damage, no broken parts, no unusual sounds or recoil. Nothing I’m putting in there could possibly result in so many successive kabooms in my opinion. I’ve had two kabooms in my life and in both cases there was extensive damage. With these mags dropping, no damage.

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Switch to left hand shooting for a while (no, I did not ask the question).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Take the gun all the way back to stock and start the testing from there. And by stock I do mean everything, trigger, connector, all springs, barrel, slide cover plate (if you have a plate, replace the spring loaded bearing too) . . . Anything that is different than on a brand new Glock even if it seems like it wouldn’t matter. Use a new mag catch and new mag. I guess I should ask if you’ve modified the frame in anyway (stipple, undercut trigger guard).

If you end up having to send it back to Glock, they are going to test it in stock configuration so you might as well start there.

If it doesn’t drop mags add one item at a time back. If it does, there’s something wrong with the frame.

Glock will only test with SAAMI spec ammo, that would include +P. If it takes more than that to cause a failure, they’re not going to help (no mfg would). If it fails with a SAAMI spec they’ll replace the frame as long as they can repeat the problem.

There’s a good chance you’ve got something else going on so it’s worth getting it to stock and testing before sending to Glock.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take the gun all the way back to stock and start the testing from there. And by stock I do mean everything, trigger, connector, all springs, barrel, slide cover plate (if you have a plate, replace the spring loaded bearing too) . . . Anything that is different than on a brand new Glock even if it seems like it wouldn’t matter. Use a new mag catch and new mag. I guess I should ask if you’ve modified the frame in anyway (stipple, undercut trigger guard).

If you end up having to send it back to Glock, they are going to test it in stock configuration so you might as well start there.

If it doesn’t drop mags add one item at a time back. If it does, there’s something wrong with the frame.

Glock will only test with SAAMI spec ammo, that would include +P. If it takes more than that to cause a failure, they’re not going to help (no mfg would). If it fails with a SAAMI spec they’ll replace the frame as long as they can repeat the problem.

There’s a good chance you’ve got something else going on so it’s worth getting it to stock and testing before sending to Glock.
Thanks. I bought some spring steel rods which are similar diameter to the mag release spring. All I have to do is cut to size. But funny you wrote because I just got done putting all my stock parts back in. I'll see how it goes

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve

also had it happen with my Gen 2 G 20, but not as often. I think the Glock oem spring sucks. I did buy two more from midway but also bought these tool steel springs to cut to size and see if they’re stiffer
upload_2020-5-25_17-31-59.jpeg

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I pulled the mag release spring out and measured its diameter with two tools: digital micrometer and digital calipers. The micrometer read .0415 and the calipers read .052. Which one should I trust? Because if I replace it with a stronger tool steel spring steel wire I want to know the right diameter. None of the Glock spring sellers have diameter in their specs

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
So I pulled the mag release spring out and measured its diameter with two tools: digital micrometer and digital calipers. The micrometer read .0415 and the calipers read .052. Which one should I trust? Because if I replace it with a stronger tool steel spring steel wire I want to know the right diameter. None of the Glock spring sellers have diameter in their specs
I would expect a micrometer to be the more accurate tool but I’m sure it depends upon the tools. What will matter is if it fits the hole in the frame. You definitely don’t want to enlarge it in case you don’t get the expected results. You would never be able to go back to the standard spring.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I’d figure out which one is right. You should not be reading .010” off.

Do you reload? You could verify the diameter of a bullet. 9mm bullets are ~.356”

As long as it is repeatable then I guess it really doesn’t matter. Just measure the old and pick a new one that is different in the way you desire.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would expect a micrometer to be the more accurate tool but I’m sure it depends upon the tools. What will matter is if it fits the hole in the frame. You definitely don’t want to enlarge it in case you don’t get the expected results. You would never be able to go back to the standard spring.
True. Gotta be careful but I think the Glock OEM steel sucks. I’ve got a couple different sources sending me spring steel of the same or similar diameter. I’ll just cut them to fit and be careful with the frame.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’d figure out which one is right. You should not be reading .010” off.

Do you reload? You could verify the diameter of a bullet. 9mm bullets are ~.356”

As long as it is repeatable then I guess it really doesn’t matter. Just measure the old and pick a new one that is different in the way you desire.
I do reload. I gotta think the micrometer is the true one. I’ve got all kinds of spring steel wire coming in this week. I’ll cut it to fit and get the diameter to be as close as possible. I’m looking to see if what I get is stronger than the Glock OEM spring

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had some similar issues with my 19. Come to find out, some of my mags I had purchased just don't seat properly. The indent in the mag that the mag release holds onto were cut at a slightly different height. It would hold for a couple rounds time then drop out. I would compare the notches on the mags for deviations and contact block regardless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts