close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magpul - The Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD's.Any good?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by JDinNC, Mar 3, 2010.

1. JDinNC

JDinNC

I have the Thunder Ranch pistol and carbine dvd's. Very informative. I found out that Magpul has instructional DVD's in SWAT magazine. I'm interested in pistol instruction because there's nowhere around my area to shoot rifle calibers. Went to their website and found Magpul DynamicsSM The Art of the Dynamic Handgun, 4-Disc DVD Set. Is this good? Should I buy it? Can you suggest any other worthwile DVDs dealing with pistol skills? TYIA

2. W4CNG

W4CNG

Go for it. Awesome teaching over 4 DVD's, the first is more than 2 hours, the second is 2 hours, the third is CCW and just under 2 hours and the 4th is training reps, drills and added info for everyone. BTW do not get distracted by the 19YO GA Tech student that has red hair and can really shoot in the video's. She is awsome........Some of the best Video Training DVD's I have purchased to date.

3. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Really good set. I highly recommend.

4. JDinNC

JDinNC

OK I just ordered it. You all better not be Magpul representitives!

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

6. mixflip

mixflip

I have it and love it. I have adopted the "Travis Haley" slide tap to my press check. I dont know why I havent been doing it that way before? I guess I never had a round out of battery, related to a press check? His logic makes sense though so I'll copy it.

Our dept is going to the range again this week so I get to see how painfully dated our instructor is again. I dont like him but he is all we have. His instruction is no where near the level of the Magpul DVD but hey he is the instructor...not me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  7. stgha

stgha

Yea, should have seen me when the 19yo student did her scenario training.
    I almost did a spit-take with my drink when she came walking around the corner in that dress!!!

Steve

8. JDinNC

JDinNC

One last question. Does it have any lessons on carrying and tactics in your car?

9. mixflip

mixflip

The Magpul dvd has No in-car tactics. They run an old man through a drill where he starts off in his car and shoots through his side window and then exited out the passenger side (away from the threat) but there is no dedicated instruction on what he did.

I usually cant get to my gun with a seat belt on (right handed) so some folks recommend either unholstering your gun and keep it in in the passenger seat (maybe covered?) or in a cross draw setup on you or on the door?

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Don't leave your gun unsecured in or around the car. If you have to come to a sudden stop, it turns into a projectile. Google "1986 FBI Miami shootout".

Get yourself a "Kingston Holster" if you need to secure the gun in your vehicle while maintaining quick access.

'Drew

11. JDinNC

JDinNC

OK I got the dvds. I just learned drill #1 and I'm allready better. My wobbly room is still huge (because of my nerves) but I can run my Ruger 22/45 faster than ever on a target at 15 yards. I'm also getting better with my G17 9mm and this is just Day 1.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  12. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

We have a chapter on car defense in our Tactics and Techniques for Defensive Shooting DVD

13. BBJones

BBJones

Magpul Videos are excellent in general and Dynamic handgun is no exception. Their philosophy is to train like you will react in a stressful situation. They lock their arms out when shooting, just like most people do when they draw under stress. If you are going to react a certain way when stressed, why not practice that way? They stress repeatability over perfection.
    Their malfunctions section is superb. Address the problem don't just mindlessly TRB. Another common theme is be aware of your surroundings and don't develop tunnel vision.
    Which brings me to the 19 y/o redhead. In her "scenario" She grazes the top of a car with fire and hits a no shoot target. As the Magpul guys say, because she made those mistakes in training, she will be aware of that in a real life situation where you aren't just punching holes in paper.

I also see why she would need to carry a gun. If her skirts are normally that short, there must be about 20 dudes stalking her.

14. Steamboat Bill

Steamboat Bill What've I done?

Still working my way through the first DVD. Great set so far.

15. Rubicon46804

Rubicon46804 Glock Armorer

I recently purchased the video set and give it two thumbs-up! Another excellent video is "The Best Defense Season 1" from the Outdoor Channel. It includes all 13 episodes from last season with lots of practical instruction.

16. Line Rider

Line Rider

Excellent videos. Travis Haley shares a good personal account of how fast things can go bad.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes. He was very frank about the whole thing, and it should (I hope, but I'm not too hopeful) the quicktrigger ninjas would view something like that and understand the remorse SOME feel with taking a life, under some circumstances.

'Drew

18. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

UHHHH... I think... I love her. :shocked: