Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
4,151 Posts
Those Extar mags are not only made of thin, flimsy polymer, they also come with an auto-disassembly feature.
Sounds like the first and last Promag and ETS mag I ever had.

I've had no issues with Magpul mags so far. I recently got a dozen in and painted them up in pink/blue and stuck them in each patrol car rifle plate carrier as backup mags. Magpul because they're cheap and painted pink/blue to keep guys from stealing them.

· Registered
5,699 Posts
WHOA, okay. That first part is verboten, spelled out quite clearly when you buy your EP9.
However, I will take one for the team, also....and post results.
Thanks for the alert!
I guess now we know why they say not to do that!

Interestingly, in the description on the Extar site for their magazines they brag that their mags are designed to be inserted fully loaded with a closed bolt.

Maybe that works just fine, but I wasn't willing to try it out after seeing the empty ones come apart. The idea of crawling around the floor of the range picking up 18 bullets wasn't too appealing.

It seems safer to stick with Glock & Magpul.

· Registered
85 Posts
Well the factory Glock mags have the steel feed lips while Magpul mags don't, so there's that. But I have never had a hiccup with a Magpul. I use them strictly for the range and they work great. I would not be hesitant to even use them as backup for EDC.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
I was hoping to get some feedback about these mags. Was considering getting some, as they tend to be fairly wallet friendly. Anyone had any luck with them? Are they range worthy? Cheap? Sufficient? Just ok? Much appreciated.
FWIW I have a half dozen of them. First few I picked up came with my PSA Daggers. The next couple I picked up on sale. All have functioned fine. Nothing great, but they have worked.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
FWIW I have a half dozen of them. First few I picked up came with my PSA Daggers. The next couple I picked up on sale. All have functioned fine. Nothing great, but they have worked.
Based on feedback and personal experiences of others, sounds like they will suffice as range mags. If it'll save a few bucks, great. Thanks for the input

· Registered
57 Posts
I picked up several of the magpul 17 & 21 round mags for practice when I switch to 9mm few years before retirement. After they seemed to function without problems, used them as extra while on duty & kept the factory Glock mags in pistol & on belt.

Now retired, have 5 of the 17 round & 2 21 round mags in my range box, & keep the Glock mags when my G17 is stashed nearby.

· Registered
6,936 Posts
I was hoping to get some feedback about these mags. Was considering getting some, as they tend to be fairly wallet friendly. Anyone had any luck with them? Are they range worthy? Cheap? Sufficient? Just ok? Much appreciated.
Use them for IDPA matches. Never had a problem with them. Much easier to disassemble.

I haven't used them for carry. Don't really have a reason why wouldn't. Guess I just think of them of my as my competition magazines.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 17 rounders, won’t function for crap! FTF out of both of them at least every 3rd round. I won’t even use them on the range due to the hassle. I haven’t checked into warranty but I’ve had them for a while now. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
91 Posts
I use the 17 round mags during indoor USPSA, especially if I have to change a mag during a stage. I can’t bring myself to drop my Glock mags with extensions on the concrete. I’ve never had an issue with the Magpul 17s, lots of rounds through them with lots of drops. Now the 21 round ones I’ve had issues. If loaded to the full 21, occasionally they’ll hang up the slide and not go full into battery without help. Loaded to only 20, no issues.

· Premium Member
5,920 Posts
Use them for IDPA matches. Never had a problem with them. Much easier to disassemble.

I haven't used them for carry. Don't really have a reason why wouldn't. Guess I just think of them of my as my competition magazines.
I have a few, and they are great range mags. As Patton noted, they disassemble soooooo much nicer than Glock! It is stunning how poor Glock mags are by comparison in this regard. When the Magpul Glock versions were new, they also had the orange followers that Glock did not offer, which was a nice touch. Glock has since incorporated that into some of their mags.

For range mags, I would absolutely purchase them again! But I am another person who doesn't use them for carry, just range use. They would likely be just as good, but OEM and widely and thoroughly tested does appeal to me over third party products and their lack of post-sales reliability monitoring.

Reactions: PattonWasRight

· Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a g43x and 19g5 from a guy and it had extra 10 factory g15 round mags and 1 10rnd extra mag if anyone’s interested! $25 shipped a piece. All factory and in sealed packaging. I have no reason to have all these mags. Ha

· Registered
793 Posts
Sounds like the first and last Promag and ETS mag I ever had.

I've had no issues with Magpul mags so far. I recently got a dozen in and painted them up in pink/blue and stuck them in each patrol car rifle plate carrier as backup mags. Magpul because they're cheap and painted pink/blue to keep guys from stealing them.
Im gonna start doing that with my phone chargers and sunglasses

21 - 40 of 42 Posts