Magnifier effect on group size

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by HuntingFree, Sep 2, 2019.

1. HuntingFree

HuntingFree

Hey guys, i recently picked up a holosun hm3x magnifier to pair with my 515cu red dot. When shooting 100yds at steel with just the red dot i get about 1.5-2" groups with my 7.62x39 ar15. Adding the magnifier seemed to open up my groups significantly (3-4" @ 100yds) and made me reconsider using it for hunting later this year. Any thoughts on this? I heard magnifiers were more for combat accuracy than precision.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1

The magnifier also makes for a larger red dot !! I don't know maybe some parallax issues too ? On a rifle or AR I want the option of more power I'm going with a scope specially for hunting .I limit red dots to pistols for match or fun and on a 8" revolver I've hunted with since '78 and try to uses a 75 to 80 yards as a limit .

syntaxerrorsix and davethehiker like this.

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Red dots are for social use. A traditional scope is for hunting and fine work.
    I see lots of "operaters" with the magnifiers, but that doesn't nessisarily make it the right tool for the job.

Intolerant likes this.
  4. pblanc

pblanc

It might be all in your head. By that I mean that a magnifier will make your "wobble zone" look much bigger when shooting freehand and that can spook some folks into fighting the wobble, which often leads to overcorrecting, tensing up, and trying to "snatch" the shot.

The magnifier does increase the apparent size of the dot on a reflex sight (but not a holographic). But it magnifies the target to the same degree. A 2 MOA dot remains a 2 MOA dot. It still covers approximately 2 inches of a target at 100 yards. But it also magnifies imperfections in the dot, which can have an effect as well.

I often use a Burris 3X magnifier behind one of my reflex red dot sights and sometimes behind my 1X Vortex Spitfire prism scope. Shooting off a bench at 100 yards or greater, the magnifier does make a smallish target easier to see and it improves my groups.

Glock Commando and FullClip like this.