Magnificent Mobility Review

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

2. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I remember asking about MM - thanks. I wish the review was a little more in-depth. Oh well. One of these days, I'll buy it, just like NG and some other refs.

3. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I thought it was interesting that they described it as a la carte. I'd be tempted to buy it if it wasn't so expensive. You might check out Anthony B's CF workout log. I think he swears by MM and keeps an extremely detailed log. He might type in there what he does from MM.

I put together a good warmup using mobility drills from Super Joints, so I guess it was worth the $35. Pavel could've made that book 10 pages long, LOL.

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Cool, thanks for the tip on Anthony's work-out log. I'll check it out sometimes.

There's just not enough time in the day to consume so much cool info on health and fitness. Maybe I need to turn it into some type of career.

I have Pavel's SJ but just haven't dug into it deep yet. I know I need to, because my flexibility is holding me back on some movements, I'm sure.

BTW, I recall you had a shoulder injury a while back. First, how is it? Second, what type of injury was it and what did you do for recuperation? I have a slight twinge in my outer left delt area. It doesn't feel like it is serious but I can definitely feel it when I do presses, OHS, and heavy bench. So, it is holding me back a bit. I don't know how it occurred but it's been a nag for about 1.5 months. Maybe SJ will help.

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

It's doing ok. Strangely enough, my left (other shoulder) is giving me a tiny bit of worry. I re-introduced dips and it started hurting, so I un-re-introduced them in a hurry. This was about a month ago. I'm a dip freak, so was immediately doing 4 sets of 20-25 and I think that was too much. It felt easy enough.

I did not go to the doctor, so not sure what exactly I did to myself last December. My right shoulder was the problem. It hurt the most with interior rotation, like if I crossed my arms like Jack Walcott's avatar, LOL. When I originally injured it, I was trying to learn to kip and didn't know anything about active shoulders. I think I had my elbows too far back and started to pull, impinging one of the rotator cuff muscles. I think that inflamed its tendon where it attaches to the humerus.

I did arm swings and the egyptian from SJ and that might've helped a little. It only helped when I did it in much lower volumes than Pavel recommends, though, like 10-15 reps, not the 36 that he'd recommend for me.

I think it mainly healed because I went without upper body work for 5 months and just concentrated on other things like legs and metcon. I don't have any right shoulder pain now. You might consider doing something similar if it doesn't clear up. If it's only a very slight pain, a month of no upper body work might buy you a long time of pain free work after that. Shoulder injuries scare me a lot at this point.

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Between this and your plateau on squats, I must ask, when was the last time you took a week off?

7. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

About 7 weeks ago. The shoulder thing is not really that bad.

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Brad/Jack,

I decided to heed your advice (subtle hints) and take a break from anything involving upper body and arms. My shoulder hasn't gotten worse - just decided to not risk further injury.

So, no pull-ups, presses, push-ups, OHS, dips, DLs, burpees, C2 rowing, etc., for a while. I'll use the time to concentrate on legs, posterior chain, forearms, and core, with a lot of tabata squats and plyo jumps for metcon.

Hopefully, it will just take a few weeks, and not the 5 months that Brad had to endure.