close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magnetospeed - anyone have one? Like it?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jdavionic, Aug 21, 2015.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

2. mruseless

mruseless

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to revive it. Has anyone tried the Magnetospeed rail adapter on a Glock 19? The G19 is considered a "compact" which Magnetospeed says is not compatible on their website. But I don't have a G17 so I'm wondering if this will work.

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I'll post some pics in a minute but I would not be comfortable with it on a G19. It picks up the rail fine but the back edge toward the grip is barely off the edge of the rail. As you tighten the screw, the back dips down and the front of the bayonet lifts up a little. It might clear the bullet but that's too close for comfort and I would not recommend trying it.

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

5. mruseless

mruseless

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Not sure what you mean by mounting the bayonet upside down. Perhaps, you're thinking you'd mount on the top rail? I don't think that would work. If you mounted to the bottom, you might be too far from the barrel to get accurate/consistent readings. I don't know. I know they give you a square rod to check distance to the bottom of the barrel. I don't know how much further you can be from the barrel and still get the readings. I also have a G34 so I can use the magneto with that one and I have the Pro Chrono that I can use with the G19. The magneto is much less frustrating for indoor ranges. I have the indoor light kit for my Pro Chrono and it's still a pain at most ranges near me.

7. mruseless

mruseless

Sorry for not being clear. Yes I meant mounting the bayonet upside down because it would be mounted to the top rail (the one above the frame). I already have a ProChrono which I've gotten to work fine for the most part, But it's finicky and the closest range to me is indoors. So I was looking for another solution. Thanks for the help, it's definitely appreciated.

8. crockett

crockett

Tried my MS V3 on a G29... pain in the a$$ to attach. Tried it on a G40 and it flew off from high powered rounds. Sold it on eBay for $345. Not worth the hassle and bad results for pistol. LabRadar is the way to go.

flyover likes this.
  9. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

MagnetoSpeed: After using one several times (over 400 rounds), and a Labradar a few times (500 rounds), I sold my PACT and Shooting Chrony, just put the CED M2 up for sale and will soon have my own MagnetoSpeed. I am keeping the Caldwell for backup. 90% of my Chrono work is done with a gun with a rail, so I got the rail adapter to use try out with a borrowed one and that...is the bomb. Used it on several pistols from 9mm to 10mm Buffalo Bore without issue.

LabRadar: I liked it. But I got some faults where it picked up another shooter and a few where it did not pick up mine. Shooting over a MagnetoSpeed, my Caldwell and the Labradar simultaneously, the Labradar had the most errors and failures to pick up shots. With the rail attachment, the MagnetoSpeed is just as easy to set up. I really tried to look at accuracy, repeatability and ease of use without considering cost or what I was already invested in. I know some people who shoot precision don't even care about Chronographing, but I do and I shoot a lot of different firearms to include pistols. subsonics and shotguns and I want chrono data. The Magneto seems the best suited to my purposes.

I also verified that it makes no difference if the bayonet is above, below or to the side of the barrel. My current thought is a front rest with an L bracket mounted on the side of the forward leg of the front rest. Put a 12" section of rail on the L bracket to mount the rail attachment of the Magneto Speed. I can change elevation of the muzzle by adjusting the threaded post on the front rest and the distance to the muzzle by movement along the rail. Then of course I will need to fix the elevation of the rear of the stock, but that should be easy to do.

10. SBray

SBray

At $380, it's working it's way up to the price of a LabRadar! Both are considerably more expensive than your stock entry level devices, yet since these are more reliable, I'm sure a serious data collector would find either worth the money. They're probably a lot simpler to setup. I'd like to have either one!

Steve

11. mruseless

mruseless

The front rest/L bracket setup sounds like an interesting solution. Any chance you can post a picture?

12. MarkCO

Got to build it first. I have not yet figured out how to turn my thought into a .jpg. If I do, I will be rich and will buy everyone a chrono of their choice. :)

mruseless likes this.
  13. Pat T

Pat T

No love here. My brother has one, tried to use it to chrono 16 gauge shotgun shells, registered 3000 fps. Not likely. If you are shooting a rifle for groups while trying to get speed info forget it.

14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I agree. the tuner effect makes load development a two step process with the MS. I had good luck with shotshell work. I developed some low recoil Buck recipes using the Magneto Speed, work like a charm.

15. MarkCO

Chronographed several shotguns. There is a sensitivity adjustment...instructions and all. :)