close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magnetospeed - anyone have one? Like it?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jdavionic, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I have an older pro chrono and it's always been a a pain to use at an indoor range. I've got the lighting kit and use cardboard around it. Still lots of errors. The magneto speed v3 has an accessory that will adapt to a Glock, etc with picatinny rail. Looks like a good option, but it's not cheap.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I have a earlier Magnetospeed for rifle only. I like it a lot!

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Same here.

I have the first gen, it has worked well. On rifle, it does act like a tuner on the end of the barrel, so for me it is a two step process of obtaining velocities and then finding the nodes.

It looks like they redesigned the sensor so it can accommodate pistol (lowered the mount), sweet.

4. jmorris

jmorris

I think the only semiauto pistols they will work with are ones that have a rail on the bottom.

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I believe that's true. It requires an adapter and they state it won't work with compacts or subcompacts. But it should work with a G19 and the like.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I know of this guy with mad machining skillz, I think he could rig up an adapter for just about any semi, given the mount part of the sensor is now lowered... ;)

7. jmorris

jmorris

They should send him one to play with and see what he comes up with;)

8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If that guy was willing to spend the money for the V3 sensor (bayonet), I certainly would be willing to send him my V1 unit to complete the test bed. It looks like they sell a blem version for $125. All I would be looking for is the video of the completed unit in action here... :)

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Well, I scraped up enough to make the purchase. I bought the V3 and the rail adapter. I am really tired of fumbling around trying to get consistent readings indoors (even with my indoor lighting kit, etc). It would be nice to go to the range, set up in a few minutes, and get reliable chrono readings. We'll see if it works as well as advertised.

10. bobonit

bobonit McCroskey

I have a V3 and love it. However I can only use it for my rifles and 357 Magnum revolver. Both my Glocks are Gen 2, no rail.

11. dervisivitz dokes

dervisivitz dokes Micheal D Dokes

After I shot my F1 because it was a frustrating pos I seriously considered the Magnetospeed, but in the end I went with the Shooting Chrony Digital. The magnetospeed is nice but it's not compatible with enough of my firearms. I've only used it twice, but so far I'm really impressed with the SCD. it's much more reliable and has way fewer errors and a larger shoot threw area than the F1.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Lol. Soo true

13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Received mine today. Just waiting on the rail adapter to arrive.

14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I received the rail adapter today and went to the range. Here's my feedback...for what that's worth.

First off, I'll preface by saying that I have another chrono with an indoor lighting kit. I have endured a miserable time getting data at the range nearest my house. I've tried several things - e.g., a cardboard shroud, etc.

The magnetospeed was a breath of fresh air. My first string of 10 shots...all registered. It took me just a few minutes to set up...versus fumbling about with my older chrono. No tripod, cardboard, etc. Just connected my rail adapter to my G34, plugged in the bayo to the data reader, checked alignment, and away I went.

I fired 6 strings of 10 shots per string. I had 7 shots that did not register data BUT (and please NOTE), the count of missed shots was misleading. I learned a lesson. Once you have a shot with an error, the data recording stops until you acknowledge that shot. I didn't realize that and fired another shot. I'm a bit dense so after the 3rd time I figured out that's what happened. So really, I had 4 missed shots that were due to some type of error. However, I adjusted the sensitivity and had zero errors after my adjustment. It has a sensitivity range from 1-11 with 11 being the most sensitive. The normal mode was 2. I bumped it to 4 and had no more issues.

In all, I was quite pleased with the results. Had I jumped on the sensitivity adjustment faster, I probably would have experienced 1 error out of 60 shots. Considering it was my first time using it, I was pleased with the results.

I was able to chrono 5 difference loads. The 6th string was Hornady CD ammo.

When I finished, I just archived the data which saved it to a micro SD card (which came with the unit). The micro SD has a standard SD adapter that is also included in the kit. I just got home, put the microSD in the adapter, put that in my laptop, and copy the file to my hard drive. The data display at the range includes the min/max, avg, and standard dev data. It's also included in the log file on the microSD. It's all real convenient for archiving your chrono data.

Anyway, I hope this info is useful for someone. Tomorrow I will try chrono'ing my .223 loads and will also chrono a string of XM193 and some hog slammer 62 gr rounds from Rem. Let me know if I can answer any questions on the equipment. I've only used it once but I'll try to answer if I can.

Wes Cummings likes this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Cool, sounds like you have it all figured out.

Thanks for the update.

16. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Thanks. Not sure I have it all figured out just yet. I'm pretty paranoid that I'll shoot the bayo with my AR tomorrow.

17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I kind of did that with my v1. The strap worked loose and I didn't notice it. The strap worked forward and draped over the muzzle. The whole bayonet got launched down range, but the only damage was the strap had a nice clean hole through it and all the plastic bits were shot. When I called and asked if I could get a replacement (it was early days), the guy there said, "oh, we have done that too, we just use rubber ski straps to hold it on". I bought a pack of 3 on eBay for like $10, have never needed the other two.

My v1 has been great, ?I even use it for shotgun load testing, usually at a local indoor range.

After you give the all clear, I will probably pick up a V3 bayonet.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Update #2

I went for another range trip this morning. This time I took one of my ARs and tested 4 strings of 10 rds per string - 2 strings of 62gr and 2 strings of 55gr.

Setup was a little more time consuming than pistol with the rail adapter, but it was still much faster than my other chrono. Part of the time in the setup was caution on my part. I went into it with a concern of shooting the bayo attachment. So I followed the instructions and then took it an extra step and checked with my sightmark laser - obviously the latter is not required. Just me being paranoid. I did not shoot the bayo:supergrin:

I shot 40 rds. I had 3 errors. The very first round. I had reset the sensitivity back down to 'normal', which is 2. The range is 1-11 with 11 being the most sensitive. I changed the sensitivity to 3. The next 29 rds all registered fine. On the 4th string, I removed the setup from the gun to install the heat shield. The barrel was getting hot and I wasn't sure if those straps would melt. I figured they give you a heat shield for a reason, so I redid the setup with the heat shield. The first round after that reconfiguration was an error. It looked like the bayo was skewed. I adjusted. I got one more error on that string that I suspect was the same cause. The heat shield is a piece of rubber and it makes it a little more difficult to get the strap down tight. I think it just takes some getting used to.

In all, I am really pleased with this setup. I have never had such success in getting chrono data at an indoor range. I'd say if you are able to chrono outdoors without a problem, then I don't think the other features of the magnetospeed are worth the money. However if you want to chrono and an indoor range is the most convenient place for doing so, then I think this device is worth the money.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions on what I did, etc.

19. dervisivitz dokes

dervisivitz dokes Micheal D Dokes

I shot my PCD yesterday, 3 TIMES! The case is hit but the innerds are still good, it just needs a little duct tape and all will be good. Stupid Tokarev shoots low and left, even though I was compensating for it I still skimmed the top of the chrono 3 times.

20. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Update #3

I tested 4 more strings of 10 rds each - total of 40 rds in 9mm. I used my previous sensitivity setting and 0 missed shots. All data captured!