close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maggie isn't feeling well

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by crazylabs, Mar 19, 2007.

1. crazylabs

crazylabs

Maggie is our 7 year old Yellow female lab. See her picture in the "show us your labs" thread. Her birthday is coming up at the end of this month and we are concerned about her health.
    She has lost a lot of her zest for life and is quite listless. We attributed this to the winter weather and her being a bit of a couch potato. She is usually a lovebug and a great tail wagger. I call her "my best worker' because she follows me everywhere I go and is right there watching me. But lately she has slowed down consideribly and shows little interest in things she used to do,
    We visited the vet today and are awaiting some test results. Her appetite has not changed. Afterall she is a Lab. We are hopeful that she will get better. Our other 2 labs have noticed her lack of energy and seem to respect her need to lay back/
    I just needed to vent and ask for your thoughts and prayers while we sort out what is going on. We will keep in touch with what is happening with Maggie.

2. cocked@locked

cocked@locked senior member

3. cocked@locked

make sure shes not getting that bad dog food it is shutting down the kidneys of otherwise healthy dogs, the symtems your describing are the ones the news is describing, so proceed with caution.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

5. NITE SITE 53

NITE SITE 53

I really hope Maggie gets through this OK. If you have been feeding all the Labs the same food and the others dont show these symptoms then you could possibly rule out the food thing but keep an eye on the others as well and let us know what the vet says. Miss Kitty, read my post on rat poison in pet food.

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

You did the right thing going to the vet for tests. I hope she gets well soon. Prayers sent for your loved one.

7. crazylabs

crazylabs

Maggies tests have all come back normal. Blood work and tick profile as well as Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and stool sample.
    She seems to ahve more energy and interset in things than she had before. She isn't fully herself but sems a bit more normal. Our vet is stumped at this point. Maggie is going for an xray Monday to check her out for anything that might not be seen otherwise.
    All 3 dogs eat the same food so that wasn't a concern for us.
    Thanks for your interest and prayers.

8. cocked@locked

Good, im glad shes doing better, i hope the other tests come back negative as well :wavey:

9. crazylabs

crazylabs

I don't know what is going on with Maggie.
    Yesterday we spent the whole day outside in the yard raking while she sunned herself. She stayed out till supper time then ate with her usual gusto. This morning she didn't touch her food and showed no interest in eating. My wife was crying her eyes out because the running joke between us is if Maggie doesn't eat we should call the vet. We have already done that.
    Ann made her a chicken breast while I took the other 2 out for a run. She ate that and is looking for more.
    The xray is tomorrow and we hpe that we can figure out what is going on with her. The not knowing is the worst.:sad:

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Know anything yet? :sad:

11. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Oh man. I hope they can figure this one out.

12. crazylabs

crazylabs

The xrays also came back clean. She was seen by 2 vets and they are now thinking and testing for hypothyroid. We should know by Wed afternoon.
    We are hopeful because that is easy to treat.

13. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I hope so too. Good luck.

14. crazylabs

crazylabs

Well it seems to be hypothyroidism. The blood tests came back positive . It is treatable and she started the medication this morning. Its too soon to tell if it has taken effect yet. She is going to have her blood tested in 2-3 weeks to see if the medication is helping. If so she will need it twice a day for the rest of her life. But that is no big deal. Keeping our fingers across.
    Today is her 8th birthday so I guess that you can say that we all got a great birthday present today. :) :) :)

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am glad you found something out! Now, let's hope the meds work! :)

16. crazylabs

crazylabs

Maggie has taken a turn for the worse. She started her meds last week and began to start showing a bit of improvement. She spent Saturday with me in the yard while I raked the lawn.
    Sunday she was real tired and listless and we thought she had just worn herself out. But she didn't get any better Monday or today. We took her to the vet and she was admitted. Her blood pressure was high and her heartrate is low. This is now serious. She is going to have a CT scan to check for brain tumors. We left the hospital and are waiting for a phone call.
    We have decided that if it is a tumor we cannot put her through surgery.
    Thank you for letting me vent and for the good thoughts.

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Has anyone checked for anti-freeze ingestion? I had an ongoing one with my goldie who only got a few licks each day for months from my old tractor, not the puddle-gulp which does most in. The liver enzymes test finally got it. Hope this helps. HH

18. crazylabs

crazylabs

Maggie had a tumor at the base of her brain,near the pitutary gland. It was inoperable and we put her down yesterday afternoon.
    She really didn't know where she was at all yesterday. The vet was great to her and us. Our friend works in the ER ward and spent much time with her, it was a comfort to her and us.
    Our other 2 labs are looking for Maggie. Casey the 9 year old chocolate male keeps circling the truck and Nellie the 3 year old black female keeps nesting on Maggies blanket on the family room floor.
    My wife is a real mess missing Maggie and feeling guilty. I know time will help heal but for now it just hurts.

19. cocked@locked

There is nothing i can say that is going to bring back your pup, i know what your going thru and am so sorry for your loss, be sure to be strong for your wife and also for your own piece of mind, my prayers are with maggie and with your family, and also give the other two dogs the biggest hug you can:angel: :dog: :angel:

20. NITE SITE 53

NITE SITE 53

So very sorry to hear about your loss. Its never easy thats for sure.:sad: :angel: :angel: