Glock 41 Magazines dropping out of gun

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BAArcher, Oct 28, 2020.

1. BAArcher

BAArcher

I’m having issues with magazines dropping out of my Glock 41 while shooting. It appears that the magazine release assy is barely engaging with the magazine. I have replaced it with an after market magazine release with the same result. Could it be a frame width issue? Anyone have issues like this?

thanks in advance
    Bruce

2. utsteve77

utsteve77

I’ve had an issue with my Glock 19. In addition to installing an extended mag release I wiped my magazines down with Armor-All wipes. I also, wiped inside the hand grip. These steps seemed to make dropping the mag more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. BAArcher

BAArcher

Steve,
    I should have been more clear, my magazines are falling out uncommanded while shooting.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  4. jamppp

jamppp

Can you wiggle them out or is it possible your grip is engaging the release?

Corey043 likes this.
  5. phred119

phred119

Check the mags themselves too. I’ve seen some high use Glock mags wear out the notch on the mag where the mag catch engages. Once that notch in the mag is worn out, the only options are to replace the mags or reverse the mag catch to the other side of the frame.

Corey043 likes this.
  6. BAArcher

BAArcher

They are nearly new magazines, I am not engaging the mag release with my grip but on each magazine, it looks like the catch is barely engaging the magazine. The springs are strong and the release is flush with the frame on the right side of the frame.

7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Sounds like a mother ship visit to me.

eta - got 2 G41's both built in Oct 2014. Nothing like that has ever happened and I've been a little hard on them. $2900 I've run through the pair since I bought them and maybe 1% was warm stuff.

Lt. Donn and BAArcher like this.
  8. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I had a similar problem with my G41. Replaced mag release & spring with OEM parts. Problem solved. Not the 1st here with either the problem or solution. >$10 total cost.

YMMV

Ed

9. SMLR

SMLR

When you shoot do you use a “thumbs-forward” grip? I have experienced the same issue with two G41s using 230gr “Major” USPSA loads. I had someone watch my hands while shooting. They noticed that when the gun was recoiling my left hand was unknowingly nudging the mag release (my left thumb usually rides up alongside the frame). I ended up lightly sanding the exposed corner of the mag release so that it was flush with the frame and have never had an issue since. The good news is mag releases are cheap and easy to replace. You can buy a spare to try it out, and if it doesn’t solve the problem you can put the original back in. The other option is to adjust your grip to avoid bumping the release.

10. Glock234Me

Glock234Me

If the new mag release is aluminum or metal it is probably damaging the mag notch. I bought a POS mag release from Tyrant and damage my range magazines.,

BAArcher likes this.
  11. BAArcher

BAArcher

It’s not my grip, I can shot it one handed with the same result. I’m going to replace the mag spring to see if that helps before doing anything else, thanks for the reply.

12. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

If you’re replacing the spring, save some time, drop another $4-5 and buy an OEM release as well. You can add the release if the spring doesn’t do it. It cost me about the same for shipping as these 2 parts, so no real cost and not waiting for 2 orders to arrive.
    FWIW I just dropped both in and that was the end of my issues. I wasn’t causing the issue, and I suspected the release was the cause, but I wanted it working, not a failed component troubleshooting exercise.
    IMHO

Ed

BAArcher likes this.
  13. BAArcher

BAArcher

Just ordered both, thanks

Buckshot Barry and Simi_gun_guy like this.
  14. Corey043

Corey043

With out gripping the gun like youre shooting are you able to pull a mag out with out engaging the mag release?

Corey

15. BAArcher

BAArcher

Thanks for all the input, parts ordered

Simi_gun_guy likes this.
  16. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Glock's do not require being bathed in oil to work, but a drop here, and there does helps. I have been know to use Olive Oil in a pinch, it that our forefathers used, mention as SWEET OIL in many historic writings.

Tri Flow has some Teflon in it, it also works well.

17. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...time for the Mothership...hopefully, you live within a day-trip to Atlanta...you will be very pleased at the CS treatment you receive

BAArcher likes this.
  18. BAArcher

BAArcher

Can you do walk in tech service? I’m about 3 hours away and if the spring and mag release replacement don’t work, I’d like that option.

Lt. Donn likes this.
  19. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...sure can. And they will treat you right

BAArcher and Papa glock like this.
  20. tercel89

tercel89

So what is the common problem with the mag releases ? Are they out of spec ? I ask because if they are replaced it seems you might run into the same problem with a new release.

BAArcher likes this.