Magazine Release Extentions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bowzette, Mar 9, 2017.

1. bowzette

bowzette

Any recommendations for an extension that works but does not create a realistic risk of dropping the mag unintentionally, like in the holster, for a CC/SD gun. I have a Gen3 19 that I suffer with mag changes at the range or in classes but I also want to be able to rely on carrying it. I can live without a good extension if the risk isn't worth the reward.

2. OBG17

OBG17

3. 125K9

125K9

How is it in comparison to a gen.4 G19 mag catch? Arthritic hands are making it harder and harder to bend my fingers.

sigmanx likes this.
  4. OBG17

OBG17

The Gen 4 mag release has more surface area than the Gen 3 release. It's also easier to access without changing your grip much at all. The Gen 3 extended release, while having less surface area, sticks out a bit more, allowing for quicker access to it. The thing with the Gen 3 release was that, at least for me, it was too flush with the frame. I had to change my grip more than ususal to access it. I don't have to do this with the extended release. You can always sand it down if it sticks out too far for your liking.

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

People seem to like the Vickers part. If you want it at a super specific length, you could file down a 1981. And ya, the gen 4 catch is considerably easier to hit. Hitting the gen 3 consistently is a bit of an art.

6. sigmanx

sigmanx

My issue with the gen 3 19 is my hand covers the other side when I have to adjust to reach it.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Trwith OEM lengthied the Glock extended mag catch and in a couple of holster designs body weight against the holster was enough to release the mag,so out with the extended OEM back in . SJ 40

8. MajorD

MajorD

A rapid mag change in a reliable pistol holding 15 rounds in a defensive situation is far less important than the magazine on tap staying where it needs to be. Accept a slower mag change for the assurance you will not experience premature ejection of the magazine in a defensive situation

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I stay stock ... the stock
    Part works well for me.

SCC likes this.
  10. bowzette

bowzette

Agree. It would be "fun" to be able to make faster mag changes for practice and in some classes I'm taking. To do so I need to change the mag release but I don't want to compromise the ability to carry the 19 for SD. That is the basis of the original post-any suggestions as to any extensions that makes a significant improvement for releasing a mag from a Gen3 pistol without compromising reliability? There may not be in which case I leave the release OEM. I'm not worried about mag changes for SD purposes-just play time on the range.

11. Toby196

Toby196 Low Speed, High Drag

Years ago, I went through the same problem the OP is going through. I tried the Glock Extended release, which worked, but was both too long (stabbing my love-handles), and the edges were too rough/sharp as well. I buffered it down with a Dremel, which made it much better, but it was still a bit long for the holster I was using.

Eventually I just went with the Vickers mag release. It seems to be exactly half way between Glock OEM and Glock Extended. It's worked perfect for me ever since (though I have to say, it is far too expensive for what it is, IMO).

By the way, this problem with the stock length magazine release only affects me in the 9mm/.40S&W/.357Sig Compact frame. On every other size frame (17, 20/21, 22, 26/27, 29/30, etc) the stock magazine release works perfectly for me.

1eyedjack01 likes this.
  12. bowzette

bowzette

I have a Gen4 34, 26 and a 43. It is only the Gen3 19 that is a "super pain" to deal with. These look interesting but only for Gen 4s, 43, and 42

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Just use non drop free magazines for carry and it doesn't matter what kind of mag button you have, they have to be ripped out. Now for USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun competition, I use the OEM G21 mag button in the small frame Glocks and round the edges slightly. Never in 25 years have I had an issue with bumping it, or during the draw, and that's 4-6 matches a month, 6 stages each, with at least 1-2 mag changes per stage. I carry a G31/G17/G19 with the G21 mag buttons in a Alabama Hooker IWB appendix, and no issue there either.

14. tango44

tango44

Glock 21 mag release is the factory extended...

FillYerHands likes this.
  15. 125K9

125K9

Thank you all. I have a couple of gen4 Glocks and the larger mag release was one of the main reasons I picked them.
    MajorD, yes, well, I've been told by others, those premature ejections = disappointing!
    OP, I'm sorry as I didn't mean to hijack your thread.:bowdown:

16. bowzette

bowzette

Thanks for the comments.

17. Americanpatriot

Americanpatriot

I had a Vickers on my G23 3rd Gen. Absolutely loved it, unfortunately while getting in and out of the car I had the magazine pop out on a couple occasions while carried in an iwb kydex rig. Once onto hard pavement in parking lot after just getting out of car. Method of carry, type of holster, body type/size or other factors can come into play. Obviously, this condition will not occur for everyone because of alot of variables.

Toby196 likes this.
  18. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

I really like the Vickers mag release on gen3 g19. Tried the Vickers release in gen4 g19 and a gen4 g26; I prefer the stock gen4 mag release in gen4 pistols.
    Could be a rather subjective thing.

The Vickers mag release in the gen3 g19 works best for me.

Toby196 likes this.
  19. Wheeljack

Wheeljack

I mix up some Harbor Freight Quick Setting epoxy and put a drop of it on my mag release. That little bit of elevation makes a lot of difference for me.

20. Scooter2

Scooter2

Clever.