close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazine issue Floor Plate is all messed up

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by thegriz18, Feb 12, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

So I tried to disassemble my NEW G23 ambi cut mags. I've done this hundreds of times with other mags. I was curious to see the differences between them and the old mags, if any. Well, bad idea. The internal floor plate must have broken and is now lodged in the inside of the magazine. I used a Glock armorers tool to try and dissemble. When I look through the hole on the floor plate I can see spring, not the inner floor plate. I can only load 9 rounds in the magazine so I know something is lodged inside of it. Needless to say I'm a bit steamed. Any suggestions?

2. geo57

geo57

Per google search on this very matter, one method is to use that tool to pry off the plate while squeezing mag body. Another site says to use the edge of a desk. Hope this helps.

3. HK Dan

HK Dan

Either way will work. You can also wrap a washcloth around it in several layers and squeeze the sides in with a pair of pliers while you pull forward with an allen wrench through the hole in the base plate.

New mags are always tough to take apart!

Dan

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I just spoke with a gentleman at Glock Inc. and he helped me get the floor plate off. He said to forget about pushing in the tabs and just pry the floor plate off with the armorers tool. It worked.

5. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I almost gave myself a hernia trying that. I had to use the padded pliers trick - that floorplate is on there good and tight if you don't release the side tabs somehow. My hands and fingers aren't strong enough to do this awkward move without the pliers.
    Don't forget the side tabs are at the middle of the floorplate so thats where you need to apply pressure on the bottom of the mag, on both sides. THEN use a tool in the hole to pry off the floor plate.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

7. johnb847

johnb847

1) The trick is to push the armorer's tool (or a similar size nail or metal rod) ALL THE WAY IN (about 3"), moving the floor liner out of the way.
    2) Lever the tool toward the front of the mag. The floor plate will slip right off the tabs and slide off.
    3) Cover the bottom of the mag with your thumb or the spring will fly out. Slide the floor plate the rest of the way off.

No other tool required.