magazine holder questions

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by msabo1023, Mar 31, 2010.

1. msabo1023

msabo1023

Wondering the pros and cons of vertical magazine carry on the opposite side of your gun and horizontal carry on the same side as your gun. I just got taser certified and have no room on my belt the way I have it which is magazines on opposite side as my gun vertical. In order to make it fit I'm either going to have to move my mags on the same side as my gun and horizontal or remove my flashlight which I don't want to do. My taser is going to be on my opposite side in a cross draw position I think its called. Any insight or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. CAcop

CAcop

Most of the guys in my PD with horizontal mags are girthically enhanced and it is for comfort.

3. msabo1023

msabo1023

My problem is not enough girth lol. With a 32 inch waist I have no room on the bat belt

4. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Try this: Can you access same-side sideways mags while prone?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I too have a 32" waist, and I fit just about everything i need on the belt. I'll have to post up some pics. I do carry weak side vertical mags and left hand draw taser next to the mag pouch.

6. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Or access the mags with the same gross motor skills for either hand.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have a 31" waist and I wear my mags sideways pointing inward on the front next to the buckle, opposite side of the gun. Everybody else wears them pointing outward... some wear it pointing upward. Guess if I really want to be different, I can wear them pointing downwards.

Check out the duty belt thread. Lots of pics in there on setup, including mine.

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I strongly believe in vertical mags on the opposite side because it is faster for me (and most that I have seen try both ways), makes them more accessible for the non gun hand, and to some very limited extent, probably results in better retention.

9. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

If you have flaps on your mag carrier and it isn't prohibited by policy, get rid of them and go vertical. Flaps are a pain in the ass and offer no benefit.

10. Grappler112

Grappler112

ohhh has this turned into a brag how small my waist is thread? if so 28" for me, and it gets difficult to fit everything even with my agency not using tasers

11. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

I could probably use your duty belt as a thigh holster. :rofl:

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

28"? Are you a chick? If so... :needspics:

Fine, be like that. I'm going on a crash diet. I'll get to 29" within a month. I've done it before.

Hmmm... you can probably use my duty belt as an armband.

13. VHT

VHT

I run my mag case left of buckle/vertical.

My Taser in Blackhawk Serpa left just behind it, and cross draw for now. Sort of a stretch. I do that mostly because I saw BR's belt that was like that and didn't feel like moving everything anyways when I got the taser :)

I was however thinking of putting the mags horizontal right of buckle as the mags bind the taser on removal a bit. Seems right side horizontal would index mags appropriately and I see it a lot. I have my OC right of buckle in fron of my holster tho, and that would have to move and it would change my "armresting" postions haha.. I do mostly like the way it all sits now tho other than the binding. I should be weak drawing anyways...

I have the flaps on the mag case still, but keep them as I hate to lose stuff wrestling with people.

14. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I agree with Cochese's comment.

Vertical weak side is an efficient and secure way of carrying. Open top cases are even more practical.

The horizontal carry is designed for comfort while seated in a car. Vertical carry may be slightly less comfortable but then you could always carry them in the 8oclock position, which eliminates discomfort while sitting.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

My horizontal carry is at around the 1152am position, or 2352 if you prefer the night shift. Pointing the opening inward, I can access it from either side just fine.