Magazine Frame Picatinny Attachment

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by stumbras, Feb 16, 2010.

1. stumbras

stumbras

2. mdehoogh

mdehoogh

adding a VFG turns it into an AOW

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

3. stumbras

stumbras

With my 33 extended mag it would be fun and you can remove it easily

4. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I believe these are illegal.

5. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Just don't. The twenty bucks you spend on the item isn't worth the five years in federal prison for converting your Glock to an AOW, nor is it worth the hassle and cost of obtaining a license to manufacture such legally.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The modification is a violation of federal law, not recommended unless you have papers registering the Glock as a short barreled Rifle.

7. Asmodeus6

Asmodeus6

Adding a VFG to a pistol makes it an AOW. NOT A SBR.

:brickwall:

Is a pistol a rifle? No. Then how can it be a short barreled rifle without a stock? (A: It's not) That makes it fall under the AOW (Any other weapon) NFA classification. You internet weenies like to cry and threaten about federal prison and you don't even know what you are saying. This is yet another perfect example of why when we don't know wtf we are saying we choose to say nothing at all instead... or at least post a warning you might not know wtf you are saying. IE: "Hey I think that makes it an NFA weapon, but I'm not entirely sure. So doing that without federal authorization (tax stamp) would be illegal."

But seriously... You have 25k posts on a forum dedicated to firearms and you don't even know what a SBR or AOW is? :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  8. mdehoogh

mdehoogh

I edited my first post to reflect this.

9. aviator0402

aviator0402

10. stumbras

stumbras

You can buy holdable handle on amazon.com is it still illegal?

11. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Who pissed in your cheerios? How about you step away from your computer and take a deep breath.

12. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I'm pretty sure any vertical fore grip would classify your pistol as an AOW and illegal without the proper license.

13. stumbras

stumbras

I got it it is illegal.

14. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Any National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm not otherwise categorized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms as a short-barreled rifle, modern shoulder-stocked pistol, short-barreled shotgun, machine gun, sound suppressor (silencer), or destructive device. Included in the list of AOWs are short-barreled rifle, modern shoulder-stocked pistol, short-barreled shotgun, machine gun, sound suppressor (silencer), or destructive device. Included in the list of AOWs are firearms disguised so they are not readily recognizable as firearms, such as pen guns, cane guns, and wallet holsters that hide the outline of the firearm and allow it to be fired while holstered. Also included are pistols with both front and rear pistol grips, handguns with smooth bore barrels less than 18" in length and intended to fire shotgun shells; and combination rifle/shotguns with barrels over 12" but under 18", provided each chamber is single shot and only can be manually reloaded.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  15. Asmodeus6

Asmodeus6

It's not illegal it just requires Federal documentation that you created an "AOW". To do this you will need to submit the proper forms, photo, finger print card, and wait for approval from the BAFTE. In part of that you will pay a Federal Tax of $200. (It's only $5 if it's already an AOW being transferred, but if you are going to make it yourself I believe it is $200.) You will get a Federal Tax stamp in return to make the weapon as part of the authorization.

If you do it without going through the proper procedures THEN it is illegal.

Basically they make hoops for you to jump through if you want any potentially "evil" features in a gun. Short barreled shotgun, short barreled rifle, (aow) any other weapon, (dd) destructive device, suppressors, and the original - for transferrable full auto's.

You can thank the gangsters in the 20's and 30's for the creation of these laws. At that time $200 was a "prohibitive" tax. Meaning people couldn't afford to pay it. And it made disobeying these laws a Federal matter. Which means they could pursue you across state lines. Which was the issue at the time.

Ok playing Devil's advocate for a minute. There's nothing illegal about owning say a vertical fore grip. Or even the VFG magazine base plate. Perfectly legal to own. Put it on the pistol however and you have now committed a crime. Very close to pushing it. And I definitely would not walk around with a bag full of mag VFG clips on mags hanging out of my gun. (Even if it were not on the forward rail.) So given that aspect of it - (that what you do in your closet is between you and your closet) it's probably not that useful to even have in the first place. Since the second you go anywhere to shoot the pistol the potential for trouble arises if you have things like that laying about.

Summary: Probably not worth it.

If you already had an automatic Glock you could do whatever. VFG, stock, w/e as it is already covered under NFA as a machine gun. Which is why a machine gun can be in any configuration. (The one nice thing.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010