close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazine catch removal

Discussion in 'Desert Eagle Club' started by hunt_ak, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

I've fully detail stripped the entire gun, but the magazine catch is driving me up a wall. BTW, this is a .44mag.

I'm sure its simple, but would somebody point me in the right direction?

2. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

3. billybad34209

billybad34209

i have the DE44 also. i have never gone beyond a field strip, if you go on www.youtube.com there are a few vidoes on how to completely tear down and reassemble. hope it helps.:wavey:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Yeah, I followed those and they go into everything BUT the magazine catch....oh well...

5. Giggity

Giggity Holster Maker

It's pretty much the same as the 1911 mag catch, there should be a slot on the screw, you need to spin the screw while at the same time pushing the mag release in and out, looking for the sweet spot in the frame that allows the screw to spin. I know it doesnt sound easy but it really is, should take all of 5 seconds once you figure out the logistics. If all else fails, look for how to remove a 1911 mag release and follow those instructions.

Edited 3/15/2010; look 3 posts down for updated info.

Hope this helps..

I took mine apart to have it chromed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Wow, that looks great! I figured it was similar to a 1911, but I tried EVERYTHING and couldn't get it to come out. It just spins, and spins, and spins...I'll give it a go again, but might just leave it...

Thanks for the help!

7. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

BTW, who did the chroming and, if you don't mind saying, how much?

8. Giggity

Giggity Holster Maker

I took it to my local chrome plater that does all my car parts. I think I gave him an extra 75 bucks to polish and plate it. Lots of people warn against decorative "bumper" chrome, but it's been 3 years and she's holding up perfectly. I even took her to the range this morning but had as issue that I'll make a thread for here in a minute.

And actually I gave you some bad information yesterday. When I was at the range I had a look at mine again and it sparked my old brain into motion. The screw is not the tab type, in fact, it's not a screw at all. It's a split pin. What you need to do is, from the right side of the gun, where the split is, take like a brass drift pin or the like, and press the pin in on itself, basically closing the "gap" of the slot, and then press the pin through the frame. When it comes out there will be a spring either stuck on the pin or left inside of the gun, make sure you dont lose it.

Let me know if you get it, and again, I apologize for the bad info yesterday. I'm gonna go back and edit that out if I can so nobody else who happens to find this tries the wrong way. :cool:

9. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Thats good news! I'll give it a shot and report back...