magazine base plate swap 9-40

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ErickS, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ErickS

ErickS

Let me start off by saying, Im new to Glock ownership. I recently purchased a gen4 17 fde 2 tone for carry. But wanting to convert it over to uspsa and ipsc shooting. After some research ive decided to upgrade my base plates to aftermarket +0 weighted plates.
    My question is, will base plates for 40 cal mags (ie. 22, 23, 35) swap over to the 9mm 17 mag bases? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Cred's Cariad

Cred's Cariad

They will work.

I use Vickers base plates on all my magazines and they advertise them as fitting the 9/40/357 magazines, and I would venture to say that they would fit on the 45GAP magazines as well...

SJ 40 and ErickS like this.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This. SJ 40

4. GlockMP

GlockMP

The baseplates are the same for .40 , 45GAP, .357 Sig and 9mm. Only the magazine inserts are different for the 9.

ErickS likes this.
  5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Erik, small frame Glock magazine base plates are all the same. But you need to figure out what division you want to shoot in USPSA, not IPSC, that's for everyone else outside the US. You don't need to "convert" anything for competition, but different divisions have different rules. Production is scored minor, 10 rounds maximum in a mag, holster and mag pouch restrictions. Lots of rules. But none of that matters, if you are serious about competition, then get to your nearest match with the gear you have. Check with the match director, some clubs will not let you shoot without going thru a half day/full day class first. Competition shooting is 95% mental, 50% physical and 25% gear......

smokey45 and ErickS like this.
  6. ErickS

ErickS

Thanks. Thats what ive been doin. Going weekly to local club and just watching
    Thanks. Ive been going to local club weekly to get jist. Looks like alot of fun. Cant wait

7. smokey45

smokey45

The last thing a perspective USPSA/IDPA shooter needs to do is start buying all the latest go fast goodies without knowing where they're going. A good place to start is in Production Division using what you likely already own. Check out the basic rules, range commands, and equipment requirements prior to shooting your first match. You'll be worlds ahead of most new shooters. All the information you need is available online on the USPSA/IDPA web sites.
    s45

ErickS likes this.
  8. ErickS

ErickS

Thank
    Thank you Smokey. Thats what ive been doing for the last 2 months. Going to matches, watching, asking questions, and paying attention to the nuances. But ive learned from other sports ive participated in, put your money where you need it, befre you have to have it. Im changing my stock sights, (hate them) and heavier mag bases. These are recommendations from the local "Open Pro" shooters that are assisting me on this venture. Thanks again for your info. I greatly appreciate it.

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Erik, I know lots of Open Division shooters, but they all have day jobs, so no, not "Pro". You have to keep in mind that most of the time the local hot dogs are in a pretty small pond, and when they go to a Level 2 match, they bump into the big sharks. Very few clubs have dozens of GM's. Changing sights, yes, OEM sights not only suck, they totally suck. Look at Taran Tacitical, Dawson Precision, Heines, 10-8's. A narrow front and wide cut rear is faster, fiber optic front is personal. Aluminum and brass magazine base pads will chew up the mag ears, plastic ok. I think you will find your stock mags, empty or partially full, will pop out just fine in a Gen4 gun, and in USPSA you will never have a standing reload anyway, you'll be reloading on the way to next array. Now if you choose to shoot Limited Minor, then you can get 140mm mag extensions and get to 23 rounds to start. Instead of throwing $$$ at base plates you would be better off to take competition shooting lessons from your local guy who can get you down with the fundamentals of pistol: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then movement, transitions, stage match, etc.

[​IMG]

ErickS likes this.
  10. ErickS

ErickS

Th
    ThaNks 9x45. That is the exact type of information i was hoping to get. Not knocking anyone else. But just detailed insight... thank you.