Mag?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cloudyknight, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cloudyknight

cloudyknight

Is it ok to keep my mags loaded all the time?

2. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Another question for the ages! There has been many a long debate on this, but my opinion (borne out by many years of doing just that) is Yes, it is OK.

I tend to fire off my 'ready' mags every year or two, and I have never had a single spring failure on a mag from keeping them loaded.

3. JETHRO38

JETHRO38

keep them loaded. At least 2 for CC due to loading and uloading is what causes springs to wear. Also it will help to get full capacity in mag without having to jam it home. Only my opinion and what I've been told.

4. timbob

timbob

Load those babies up. Make sure you store them properly though. Don't store them in foam cases. The foam will attract moisture and also pull out any lube inside the mag and gunk stuff up. I would never use actual lube/oil on a Glock mag unless I had some kind of serious issue with it, and even then I'd probably just touch it up with rag with some break-free on it.

You don't have to load up every spare magazine that you have, but keep as many as you feel you may need. About once a year I would unload them, inspect the ammunition, wipe the rounds down and blast some air through the mag to clear dust.

5. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

Absolutely! Keep them all loaded. Or unloaded. But loaded is good. Unloaded is good too but not if you need to shoot all of a sudden. So, I guess loaded is the best. But the springs could get weak I guess. Unloaded. Yeah, that's it! Keep them unloaded except when you need to load them and then load, shoot and leave them alone! Plus, they're called "clips". All of us experts know that and now you do too! Remember that. Oh, wait....What's that? Oh, yes nurse. (Gotta go. It's time for my meds...:cool:) Is that you Gaston...? :supergrin: :rofl: :supergrin:

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

The odds of ruining a mag by keeping it loaded seems to be pretty small. Opinions vary, but I think you should be able to keep a few loaded without any issues. If you are worried you can always download a couple rounds to reduce stress on the spring, or rotate mags every month.

7. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago and the responses were keep em loaded and loaded full, so I do. 17 Hornady Critical Defense at hand in the mag.

8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I do it all the time without any problems. 25 for the 19 and 9 with the 23.

9. Six Feet Under

Six Feet Under

I keep mine loaded and have the same four mags I got with my 3rd gen G19 in Sept. 2009... No problems in 2.3k+ rounds

10. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I rotate my magazines... every mag gets... fully loaded time and fully unloaded time... and I also do not chamber rounds and stack them back into my carry mag more than say 2-3 times... this also has a reason.

11. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Empty mags are worthless when you need them.

12. tango44

tango44

Glock stock mags can be loaded for ever!