close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mag Springs for CCW Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ChucklesG21, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ChucklesG21

ChucklesG21 CCW'ing a 21

Hello Everyone! I am a new CCW Permit Holder in VA and am also new to Glock Talk as you can see. I have run a couple of searches for this topic in the different forums and have not found an answer.

My question is simply this: How often should you retension if possible or replace the mag springs in a CCW pistol? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to be in a situation and have a failure to feed when it mattered most!

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Welcome to GT and congrats on your carry permit.

NEVER, ever retention (stretch) any springs. It is not the compression of the spring that causes fatigue, it's the cycling of it. You can go a long, long, long time before you'll ever had to replace a magazine spring in any Glock.

Shoot more, worry less.

3. ChucklesG21

ChucklesG21 CCW'ing a 21

Thanks for your response. I kind of figured this would turn into a debate but it appears that you hit the nail on the head. I've had 19 views and you were the only one to respond. Either the others agreed or didn't want to start a debate with a Cert. Glock Armorer...either way. I appreciate the info!

4. ChucklesG21

ChucklesG21 CCW'ing a 21

Just testing my new profile setup

5. blinddog

blinddog

Look I have been useing G-21's daily for near twenty years since 1990 anyway, I found out on Glock talk about five or six years ago that the mags can be disassembled for cleaning! Who knew? Anyhow I proceeded to take apart and clean the inside of the tenj G-21 Mags I own 2 are FML the rest are not six are preban and unmarked two have the Klinton mag ban LEO and Military only markings. Anyhow the only thing I saw was a lot of dust, I uniformed carry and plain clothes carry for years in the Mid West where is is very dusty in summer and cold and wet in winter. BTW after years and many thousands of rounds I never have had a Failure to feed or any other mag related problem. Since I found out I could I have pulled Mag bases and springs and cleaned the dust out on a yearly basis when I remember to.

6. tango44

tango44

Glock mags and springs can be loaded for ever and will be reliable.
    If you are carrying a G21 with stock mags, don't worry those are 100% reliable as it comes from the factory.

7. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Yup your good to go

8. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

May I suggest some practice mags and some carry mags. In the beginning they are all practice mags, so you know they work. After that, they become carry mags. The rest can be for practice and seperately identified as necessary.

Some like to number their carry mags as reference of qualification when you do cycle some ammo through them on occasion. I usually empty (shoot) my carry mags at least once a year and reload with fresh ammo. At least the top four or so rounds.