Mag-na-ported G23 video comparison

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SterlingArcher, Oct 23, 2015.

1. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

I've always been interested in porting and how well it does or doesn't work. I had a Glock 23 laying around and decided to give it a whirl.

With .40 S&W running at 35,000 PSI (according to SAAMI) it seemed like a good fit. My preferred .40 defensive load is 165 grain HST. People complain of .40 being 'snappy' with 180 grain and with 165 they have a little more 'snap' to them. Keep in mind I'm talking HST loads, not WWB's 165s that are some of the softest shooting factory .40 I've ran across.

I got my slide and barrel back from Mag-na-port and headed to the range today and it was a substantial difference. I learned to shoot pistol on the .40 so it's recoil never bothered me but after porting it was fantastic! My front sight was back on target so fast I'll happily race it against a 9mm.

To address the 'urban legends': It's been shown that your night vision isn't compromised. It's also been proven to have a minimal affect on velocity.
    As far as the blast from the ports, well, don't put your face by them. ;) Shooting from retention etc...etc... It can be debated until the cows have jumped over the moon, come home, been butchered, eaten, and excreted, but just like most handgun mods it comes down to personal preference.

My cellphone can shoot slow-motion video so before I shipped it off I took video of shooting a mag of 165 HSTs and upon it's return did the same. Please keep in mind these were shot, edited, and uploaded via cellphone but I think they illustrate it well enough. Both were shot in the same mode and set at the same speed.

Un-ported 165 HSTs

Mag-na-ported 165 HSTs

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Yep. The difference is there, but to take advantage of it, folks have to practice with a ported pistol and their carry loads (and most don't/won't). You have to "re-program" your internal shot timer so you can actually make yourself shoot faster with the same level of accuracy. Even then, it'll really only make a difference on multiple-shot strings on the same target (or very close together targets).

But the difference is real, for sure.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

There is no topic that is surrounded by more b.s., miss-information, and ignorance than porting.

4. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

I've certainly become a fan. I'd like to do it with different calibers as well.

5. orangeride

orangeride

Good job on the vids. Your vids do a good job backing up your point. I had been trying a LW 4 port barrel in my g35 which worked awesome. I'd say at least as good as your set up. My problem was it was turning my front sight black in about 10 shots. Is the magna port affecting your front sight at all? One last thing. Your gun ejects darn near perfect. The 9mm guys must be jealous.

SterlingArcher likes this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I noticed that as well. Ejection to 3 o'clock and about 15 yards away; it looked like JMB himself tuned that pistol. :supergrin:

7. glide

glide Just sayin'

Nah, not even a little envious. All my Glock pistols (including 9mm ones) eject spent shells with authority. No need to magna port or go with for-tay to get that and 9mm is cheaper to have fun. But to each their own.

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

I've got a 19c and 23c, like them; not as thrilled with the loss of velocity, especially from the 23.
    I put an extended Lone Wolf two port barrel in a 23 and although it did not reduce muzzle flip as much as factory porting, it did make a noticeable reduction and velocity was slightly higher than the stock non-ported barrel.

9. wyntrout

wyntrout

My first ported pistol was a Kahr P40 that had already been Mag-na-ported. I had planned to buy a K40 and have it ported, but I got a good deal on the P40.

When I went to get a .40 cal Glock, I chose the G23C. I have done no comparisons with .40's as both of mine are ported. I notice that my HD Trijicon FS does get dirty with the blast directed upwards near the sight. It makes a big difference in visibility to wipe the FS with my thumb once in a while at the range.

CD4ME, did you measure velocities before and after with the porting? I thought there was supposed to be minimal loss of velocity... something like 20 fps or so.

I didn't notice the flash when shooting the ported pistols. The flash was noticeable when videoed and freeze-framed, but I really noticed it more from the side when someone else was firing.

Speaking of wussie .40 ammo, the Prvi Partisan ammo is like .38 Special versos .357 Magnum when compared to other standard .40 ammo.

Wynn :)

10. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Thanks!

11. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Shhhh!! That image might make some people's heads explode!

12. Current Resident

Current Resident

Sterling you did the right thing and sent it to the right group of people.
    I'm curious if the do anything with the forcing cone or is it just porting?

Magna Port is only a few miles from my house, if you ever have a chance to go in there its great. I took some of my guns in there and it makes a world of difference in the way they handle.
    I took my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum in to have Ken Kelly do a super tune job on it. He was able to tame it into a real smooth shooter. I've taken 8 Whitetail Deer with it so far. Excellent work, precise, craftsmanship and a fun place to visit.

13. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

My front sight is painted florescent orange around the tritium dot, so it would be extremely noticeable vs on a black sight, and here it is after 150 reman ammo. Perfectly clean and I haven't touched it since shooting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. wyntrout

wyntrout

The Mag-na-porting slots are more widely spaced and don't direct blast towards the FS as much as the factory porting.

Gen 3 G 23C:

[​IMG]

Kahr P40:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  15. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

Real men don't need no stink'in Mag-na-porting...

krankase likes this.
  16. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Not by much, only around $30 per 1,000. Plus when I've seen hard ammo crunches I always had plenty of .40 to buy. But I've also found that a good excuse to own at least one gun in every major caliber. :supergrin:

17. glide

glide Just sayin'

Maybe in the contiguous USA not in my island State of Hawaii :(. If there is any shortage I plan for it and buy what I can when I can until then.

18. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

My condolences. I entertained the idea of moving there for half a second until I looked up the gun laws.