Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just watched a video about the Shield 9mm. The guy spoke about mag change issues on the Shield due to the fact that especially with the 8rd mags. He said he gets his palm and or ring finger pinched during mag change anyone had this issue. The 2.0 Shield is on my to get list.

·
Florist
20,132 Posts
You know how when you first learn to use a hammer you end up hammering your thumb or finger while driving the nail?

I don't have a Shield. But when I first got the Glock G26 (muscle memory was for the G19) I also had the pinched palm issue. After a painful first few sessions, I learned to adjust my hold on the G26 while changing mags. Pain is a great teacher.

Yes, pistols with grips shorter than your palm will have the potential to pinch your palm during a reload.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know how when you first learn to use a hammer you end up hammering your thumb or finger while driving the nail?

I don't have a Shield. But when I first got the Glock G26 (muscle memory was for the G19) I also had the pinched palm issue. After a painful first few sessions, I learned to adjust my hold on the G26 while changing mags. Pain is a great teacher.
A great natural consequence. LOL

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Are you kidding me? I have two Shields, If you can not change a mag with out pinched your finger or hand you need to work on your technique.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Stress increases your "muscle" force...Under high stress, it is possible to push, smack, ram that mag in harder than you would normally think yourself to do, and pinch some flesh. BTDT

Accept as part of the game or do things (add O-rings, or trim the lower edge of the grip to create more space).

·
Native Mainiac
23,844 Posts
Only pinched myself once with a 1911 magazine. Little boo-boo blood blister on my right pinky. I managed to survive despite the agony of feeling like an idjit.

Here's a pic of the pinky carnage.
pinky-booboo.jpg

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yes, pistols with grips shorter than your palm will have the potential to pinch your palm during a reload.
Yep, have seen it happen to MANY people with short grip guns. One of the reasons why I prefer a gun that allows a three finger grip instead of a two finger grip. On a two finger grip gun you can add the mag pinky extension for the third finger, but when doing reloads/malfunction clearance drills etc... the mag is out and you are back to a two finger grip.

Glock 19 grip length is the perfect length for ME (and many others shooters too) because it allows all three fingers on the grip with no extra length extended below. Now if you have GIANT hands, this will not be the case - so the 17 grip length will be better.

You can get used to the short two finger grip length guns, my wife has been using the Glock 26 since 2005 when she transitioned to it, it took her a little time and practice to constantly get that pinky out of the way during reload drills, but she does it now. (By getting the pinky out of the way in an exaggerated fashion, one gets the fleshy bottom part of the palm out of the way.)

I only shoot my 26 occasionally, I have to make a conscious effort to move my pinky out of the way on reloads, probably why I will most likely never switch to a short grip gun for my EDC needs. My MR918s give me the perfect grip length and if I am ever forced to live in a "commie" 10 rd limit state, I would be switching over to a 48, again the grip length.

Just one shooters opinion.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
As in the post above, short length grips are notorious for setting up this scenario.
It still happens to me occasionally when practicing with some of my carry guns.

At any rate this is not an exclusive problem with the Shields.
Buy the Shield with confidence!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I put an extended mag floor plate on my G27, but didn't shoot it any better than I do with the flush OEM floor plate. Guess I've gotten used to the two-finger death grip for that particular gun.

I use G22 mags for backups.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Guess I've gotten used to the two-finger death grip for that particular gun.
Yes, one can shoot the short grip guns good, with our without the extensions. BUT, this post is about performing empty reloads, speed reloads, tac reloads, malfunction clearance drills where one needs to remove and insert/re-insert their mags in the gun.

That is where the short grip is a bit of a handicap. Again, not that it can't be done, it is just a little harder to do it with the short grip guns and can be a bit bothersome to some.

·
Florist
20,132 Posts
I've been having the same problem with car doors. They keep slamming on my hand. Are all car doors poorly designed? Thanks.

This is how I avoid that car-door-slam-hand problem! But now that I'm old, pickup trucks, minivans and SUVs are getting hard to enter this way!

·
Private side
11,587 Posts
When I want to use the mag release with my dominant hand (any traditional push style mag release) I have to rotate the gun a bit. Since I find it easier to do with my pinkie out of the way (also makes sure the mag drops out) o end up with something like this:
image.jpg

This is a 938 so I assume it’s smaller than a Shield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts