Glock Talk banner

Mag capacity and CIVILIAN shootings (not Law Enforcement)

8228 Views 281 Replies 84 Participants Last post by  fredj338
Posted this in response to another question on related topic. . . but thought I'd share it as it's own info on the Carry board.

A guy did a statistical analysis of more than a thousand CIVILIAN shootings, and found that:

75% of all civilian shootings are resolved with 5 rounds or less
95% of civilian shootings are resolved with 8 rounds or less

With 10+1 in your gun, the chances you'll need more ammo to finish the fight are near zero.

Also, the Active Self Protection guy has stated that out of however many hundreds or thousands of shooting videos he's seen, he's NEVER ONCE seen anybody have to reload and keep fighting. Any reloads always happened after the fight wound up being over.
221 - 240 of 282 Posts

· Banned
27,646 Posts
That’s a brainless comment. I don’t buy guns, ammo or spare mags because of what a vendor or anyone on this forum tells me. I buy because of what’s going on in this crazy world right now. Soft on crime prosecutors, revolving door no bail repeat offender criminals with no fear of jail or consequences, open borders, increase in cartel activities, and drug or trafficking related crimes, and overall increase in crime. Do YOU have a brain?
I think your comment is more brainless. Since apparently you believe that a general comment applies to every single person and that there’s no exceptions to the rule… now go ahead and instead of babbling at me go read GT posts for a good while and make your own assessment of who does what and why.

9mm is the most popular round because it’s superior to all of the others? Or is there another reason. I’ll help you out: option B.

thanks. Bye bye now

· Premium Member
991 Posts
Not "near zero" but 5% over all. How do you know which one you are gonna be in? I will still carry a reload, whether it is for when I think the fight is over or to stay in the fight. It is all well and good, but it takes little effort to carry a reload.
I agree....I'm not sure of the OP's point in posting that. If there's a 5% chance of needing more than 8 rounds, that's more than enough reason to carry the spare. To me, it's just lazy to not have backup ammo. I wouldn't bet my life on 95%.

Reactions: Nanuk

· Registered
14,442 Posts
I carry 12 rounds. When travelling through other states you have to be cautious with your magazine limit. If you get caught in certain states with a mag that can hold over ten rounds you're going to be their guest. (and it has happened)
I just found out that I can carry 15 round magazines in NJ. If you carry on LEOSA, they let you have up to 15 rounds.

A box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. The term shall not include an attached tubular device which is capable of holding only .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. Qualified retired law enforcement officers that have registered a handgun(s) with the New Jersey State Police as part of the Retired Police Officers permit to carry program may possess a magazine with a capacity of up to 15rounds of ammunition for that specific registered handgun(s). Active duty law enforcement officers may possess magazines with a capacity of up to 17rounds for personal firearms and over 17 rounds for any department issued firearm.”

I say this as to how I was surprised by it. This time it was to my favor , next time it might not when I travel out of state .

And no one is really discussing the intial capacity of the gun. If you are carrying a 5 shot J-frame, carry spare ammo. If you carry a Glock 17, you probably won’t need it .

24,310 Posts
Posted this in response to another question on related topic. . . but thought I'd share it as it's own info on the Carry board.

A guy did a statistical analysis of more than a thousand CIVILIAN shootings, and found that:

75% of all civilian shootings are resolved with 5 rounds or less
95% of civilian shootings are resolved with 8 rounds or less

With 10+1 in your gun, the chances you'll need more ammo to finish the fight are near zero.

Also, the Active Self Protection guy has stated that out of however many hundreds or thousands of shooting videos he's seen, he's NEVER ONCE seen anybody have to reload and keep fighting. Any reloads always happened after the fight wound up being over.

Most people these days seem to think they most likely will be fighting off an entire platoon of bad guys. That's why those stupid 15 round Shield magazines are so popular for the G43's and G48's.

Hell, just learn how to shoot the damn gun and make every shot count and be mentally prepared for a deadly encounter. Mindset and training is more important than hardware.

· Registered
14,442 Posts

Most people these days seem to think they most likely will be fighting off an entire platoon of bad guys. That's why those stupid 15 round Shield magazines are so popular for the G43's and G48's.

Hell, just learn how to shoot the damn gun and make every shot count and be mentally prepared for a deadly encounter. Mindset and training is more important than hardware.
He said Civilian shootings, plenty of cop shootings with a reload or malfunction drill

· Registered
6,420 Posts
Excuse me, but this is like saying you are extremely unlikely to need your seatbelt so you shouldn’t wear it. Yes, you probably will need 5-8 rounds, if you even get in a gunfight, but there’s a slight chance you will die if you don’t have a reload and end the threat on round number 27. Those who choose to carry that many rounds aren’t paranoid, they’re merely prepared.

· Registered
141 Posts
Keep in mind that having a large cap or spare mag may be used against you in a court of law.
Why, if you're carrying both legally? Police carry much the same. To be "used against you" the same argument could be used against a cop..... And it never has. Their lives are not worth any more or less than yours. That argument is just as lame as the whole "hollow point" bullet nonsense. Something else police use.

· Registered
3,167 Posts
Why, if you're carrying both legally? Police carry much the same. To be "used against you" the same argument could be used against a cop..... And it never has. Their lives are not worth any more or less than yours. That argument is just as lame as the whole "hollow point" bullet nonsense. Something else police use.
1. You are not a cop!
2. This is FACT based on experience!

· Registered
1,945 Posts
I am not sure what others might need or even encounter! I carry a G26 and an additional G19 mag. I haven't ever been or do I think I will be involved in a shoot-out situation but I will continue to carry a spare mag. jmo

221 - 240 of 282 Posts