Madison, WI: Black Woman Set on Fire by 4 White Men at Stop Light?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Bren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm mainly posting because I think the story sounds fishy and I predict that we will find out within a week or two that it is a hoax. I doubt she burned herself on purpose - if we ever get an answer, it will be that she was accidentally burned by fellow protesters with Molotov cocktails.

Hate crime probe underway after black woman says she was burned by lighter fluid and flame thrown by white man

Althea Bernstein told police she was driving near the Capitol about 1 a.m. Wednesday and had stopped at a red light with her driver's side window down. Bernstein, 18, told police she heard someone yell out a racial epithet, looked around and saw four white men.

One sprayed liquid on her face and neck and threw a flaming lighter at her, she told police. Bernstein said she pulled forward, put out the flames and drove home where her mother encouraged her to go to the hospital. She was treated for burns. Hospital staff believe the liquid was lighter fluid, police said.
    . . .

The assault came amid a night of violence Tuesday that included the toppling of two statues outside the Capitol and an attack on a state senator. A group of 200 to 300 people protested the arrest of a Black man after he shouted at restaurant customers through a megaphone while carrying a baseball bat.

Someone also threw a Molotov cocktail into a government building and attempted to break into the Capitol, only to be repelled by pepper spray from police stationed inside. The violence prompted Gov. Tony Evers to activate the National Guard to protect state properties.

What makes me skeptical is:
    1. It's a very unusual kind of crime for white people to commit. Reverse the races and I would believe it, because it would be a kind of crime we sometimes see black-on-white, but 4 white males attacking a black female randomly and using fire? Not likely.
    2. she claims they threw an accelerant on her through her open driver's window, but the burns just don't look right to me. More like a flash burn from...let's say a molotov cocktail breaking too close to her face
    3. Hate crime hoaxes are in the air.
    4. She was coincidentally downtown among protesters throwing Molotovs

Anyhow, I'm getting out front, 'cause this is the internet and I want to say I told you so.

2. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

As with most things like this, we should wait and see and let the truth come out. Like Jessie S, the LAPD deputy that was "shot by a sniper" etc........

mc1911, B C and Trebore like this.

3. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Well, glad you were the first to say it, and I agree with you. I read the story the other day, and thought "whaaaaat?"

4. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

A Jussie Smollett wannabe.

5. HALO51

HALO51

Could also be Crack Pipe burns as well.
    Start prosecuting these "hoax" hate crimes this shi$ might stop.

badge315, FullClip, hogship and 11 others like this.
  6. dbak

dbak

Bull****

buddyd157, nrajeff, B C and 5 others like this.
  7. jr24

jr24

Just covering for her burning herself in the riots.

larry_minn, nrajeff, Sharkey and 11 others like this.
  8. litework

litework

I don't know any other kind of lighter other than a flaming one but I don't know how you would rig it so that it stayed lit when you threw it. People who light other people on fire would not use a Zippo. And to be so precise with your throw that you would hit the lighter fluid in a way that would cause it to ignite...these are the type of people you need when you want to start a campfire.

badge315, happyguy, hogship and 6 others like this.
  9. tuica

tuica

Like most hate crime hoaxes, the fantasy-weaver spins a near-unbelievable tale. When you lie, at least make it somewhat plausible.

badge315, nrajeff and Trebore like this.
  10. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

And where is the lighter? A zippo is about the only lighter I know of that you can throw and still be lit. I guess you could modify a disposable to “lock on”, but that seems unlikely.

badge315, FullClip, nrajeff and 2 others like this.
  11. Pluto57

Pluto57

I agree. Either way, the lighter should be available as evidence.

Trebore, CAcop and Quijibo like this.
  12. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

This ^^

ETA: If she was driving (as she stated) the burns are on the wrong side of her face. Unless the photo is reversed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  13. NMG26

NMG26

White men don't behave like that

Turk3196, GlockAndMan and scattershot like this.
  14. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yeah, that doesn't really look like what I would expect it to look like, but I guess WTF do I know? And the people who are experts will probably be afraid to speak out.

nrajeff, Trebore and Caver 60 like this.
  15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I am not aware of any obligation to avoid discussing things in the news and just "wait and see." It is true we don't have all of the facts and we could be wrong, but we all know that.

happyguy, hogship, faceplant and 4 others like this.
  16. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

That doesn't look like she was doused and then set alight. That looks like she was spattered with burning liquid of some sort.

(Says the guy who's been splattered more than once with boiling (OK not burning, true) cooking oil.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    badge315, nrajeff, tuica and 11 others like this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

White men may do very bad things, certainly worse things than this, but it is the character of the attack that doesn't fit.

I went to the police academy and worked in law enforcement just barely long enough ago that we were still taught that people of different races, sexes and sexual orientations have certain characteristics common to their crimes. We only have to pay attention to the news to see that proven. Her description does not sound like a crime by white men. If they had said 4 men walked up and 1 shot her, that would sound "white."

badge315, Dukeboy01, nursetim and 5 others like this.
  18. NMG26

NMG26

Maybe it was Russians

nrajeff, Trebore and KikoMonster like this.
  19. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Another thing: she's black? OK, I am perhaps not the most perceptive guy, but if I drove up by her in the middle of the night, even with streetlights, I might think she was Hispanic. But I wouldn't think black.

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'm not going to bet against you on points 2, 3 & 4.

What else was going on in the vicinity? Any protesters or rioters? Why no witnesses or handy phone video footage of roaming white men dousing blacks with lighter fluid?

Are there also burns on the left side of her face, which would be facing an open driver's door window, and still more easily reached through an open driver's door window, instead of on the right side of her face? Kind of odd.

Is the victim RH, because if a flash burn from trying to light a Molotov cocktail was involved, and she's RH, it would make sense. What's the burn pattern, if any, inside her car? Someone sitting inside her car, up front and to the right of her, screwing around with an incindiery device, and she got burned?

Who - outside of TV/Movie characters - actually throws around Zippo lighters left open and ignited? Easy to see done on TV and in Movies, but who does that in real life? That's a once & done, because then you've thrown away your lighter (from which latent print lifts can be taken).

Also, the burn patterns looks ... odd. Not like being doused, but more like being splattered or sprayed by burning liquid. Then, there's the question of whether her clothes and hair were affected, and the burn patterns inside her car. Is the driver's door burned, or part of her car to her right? Lots of questions I'm hoping a competent investigation will ask and address, obviously.

But, bottom line? As my wife likes to say, people suck. I won't be shocked by learning that there were some idiots who attacked her ... or she's covering up how it happened via her own efforts, or someone else she doesn't want to get in trouble.

Please keep us posted, Bren.

nrajeff, Trebore and Cubdriver like this.