close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

made my first mistake with a foster GSD :(

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by M1A Shooter, Jan 31, 2010.

1. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

my wife has been very good about finding homes for our fosters and is very thorough about making sure they know what to expect and that they are ready for the dogs they may get. i tended to think she overdoes it and i vouched for a fellow officer at work who is a K9 officer. i figured a K9 officer should know well enough about dogs to know what to expect. i did not consider that he is a military K9 officer and the dogs are not take home dogs, they sit in kennels.

this has come to affect the dog negatively. we were getting calls from the new owners saying that the dog would not use the bathroom outside. they claimed to walk him outside for 15-20 minutes and he would go as soon as he got back in the house. i offered to take the dog back and retrain him. we had him for a week. he peed in my house once and then was great all week. so we gave him back with the information about needing more time outside and a familiar place to go each time so he would go out.

here it is 2 weeks later and we have him back again under the info that he is not potty trained properly. he is also underweight and not very well taken care of. i am assuming that they just got irritated and didnt really care much about him anymore. that is very unfortunate for him as hes a great dog.

anyway, we have him back now and hes in a better place. we will start over with getting him healthy again and house trained. then we will try to find another home for him. this time i wil let my wife decide where he will go to this time.

just dont tell her she was right :whistling:

2. Platz

Platz

I used to think the same thing to, until I met many of them and realized that only a handful actually know anything about dogs beyond the handling of their own dog. Depending on the officer, you have to consider that many of them are not given green dogs to finish out training with, and may have no concept of how to actually train a dog beyond how to reward one that is already properly trained. And as you found out, many of them keep their dogs outside (often for good reason, but thats neither here nor there) so they know little to nothing about teaching a dog house manners.

I will bet their problem with house training is lack of establishing a routine. People think it's so much effort to train a dog to a routine, but really if you think about it most humans have a pretty well established routine throughout the day as well. A dog is no different. Only when they are older and understand the true concept of "potty outside" and not just the routine of going outside after they eat and wake up can you start to deviate somewhat.

It's unfortunate that they gave up too soon, but I've occasionally had fosters come back to me even when the home otherwise checked out ok. Some people just aren't meant to be dog owners, and some people just aren't meant to be dog trainers. If they are really interested in having a dog, perhaps you can use your experience and help find them an appropriate one that's a bit older (say 3 - 5) and already very well house/obedience trained?

If you're close to this guy at all, you may also want to steer him towards other breeds or mixes. If he was with a working military K9 remind him that that dog had a job, and if he wants a housepet it may not be the right breed for him.

Don't get down on yourself about making a "mistake." Sometimes these things just happen. There are two important things here that you did fantastically: number one - you took the dog back (twice!). Number two, the home you found was responsible enough to be honest and surrender the dog back to you, rather than just dump it in a shelter or give it to someone else.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

3. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

our only stipulation on giving a dog to anyone is that it comes back to us for any reason and never to a shelter. we have had him back for a few days and hes been doing great. he is very submissive though, moreso than i remember him being even when we rescued him. im sure there was alot of frustration in that house.

4. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

we got Tyson back to the vet yesterday and he is a bit worse off than i though. i knew he had lost some weight, figured 10lbs or so, but when we compared the vet checks before we gave tyson to the other home and yesterdays, hes 25lbs down. so this was the onset of a full panel of testing to determine why. turns out there is nothing medically wrong with him!

my wife was casually telling the Vet about how we figured this K9 officer would be a good home and such for him. well the Vet was intriqued and started asking more questions. turns out, she was building a neglect case against this person and is turning it over to the military vetrinarians so he may not be able to work with the dogs for his neglect of his own.

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Poor little guy! He's sure back in the right hands now.

6. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

To some guys, guns are just tools. Some have love affairs with their guns.

To some guys, dogs are just tools. Some have love affairs with their dogs.

I don't like to broadly paint anyone with the same brush. Just because someone is a K9 officer doesn't mean they know a substantial amount about dogs and care deeply for them. But it also doesn't mean that they don't.

When I did doggie rescue (my horrible experiences are chronicled in another thread in this section!) I was met with skepticism and resistance in the beginning because I was a cop. I learned some hard lessons in life early on that were reinforced by that horrid experience. Just because someone is a fireman, cop, priest/minister, doctor, whatever...it doesn't mean they're worth a crap professionally or as a human being. Conversely just because someone is unemployed, destitute, homeless, drunk, or stoned, doesn't automatically mean they're worthless lazy scumbags. There are worthless lazy scumbags on both sides of the fence. People have to be judged on an individual basis...every last one of them.

Ok, I'll climb down now. :soap: :rofl:

7. rugercat78

rugercat78

Any updates on the dog?

Please post pictures too :)

8. Shasta69

Shasta69

How true about people AND dogs.

Each dog IS different. Their very own personalities, strengths, areas for improvements, and opportunities to achieve many wonderful things. It takes a special type of person (insert any animal owner and K9 handler) to understand this and plan accordingly.

That said and I must say, many LE agencies incorporate a "one size" fits training process which can and will not work for all dogs. Every K9 is unique. Sure the basics can work uniformily, but when the cookie cutter K9 training mentality occurs, it and can does transfer over to K9 handlers. Thus become what OBXEMT refers too.

And of course there are some handlers that just don't care very much...

9. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

we placed him with anther home last week. i really hope this keeps going as well as it seems to be.

he is a great dog and i hate to keep bouncing him around but he just doesnt get along with my other dogs. hes too submissive and doesnt do anything without one on one time. hes an only dog in his new home and seems to be coping well with it. unfortunately only time will tell.