close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Made Kydex holsters

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by tnoisaw, Oct 12, 2006.

1. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

I made a Kydex holster and am pleased with the results. I now have an IWB tuckable which works pretty good. I also made a IWB tuckable magazine carrier and a little holster for my Bench Made knife. I’m pleased with the way that you can hardly see the belt retention holders. I made it a split holder because I tend to carry at about 1 o'clock and that’s where my belt loop is.

Here is a front shot.
    [​IMG]

Here is the back.
    [​IMG]

Holster in place- full tuck.
    [​IMG]

Holster on outside to show where they are.
    [​IMG]

I’m pleased for my first holster. I’m already planning an OWB and a competition holster later. I’m going to make a holster for my bed side which will hang off the side with the left over kydex. I bought a 1’ x 2’ piece from http://www.classicknifekits.com/kk_1mainframe.htm

2. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

Nice lookin' rig there tnoisaw. Did you do some custom texturing on that Glock grip?

3. Flechette

Flechette

Mag is backwards.
    You want the rounds facing your belt buckle.

Where did you get the kydex?
    Why don't you post some pics and explaination of the forming process?

Thanks.

4. Retread

Retread I am what I am!

Interesting, are you going to start producing? I've heard you can get 4x8 sheets for about $200. What is the purpose of the cutout on the holster at the end of the barrel?

5. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

The cutout was basically because I lacked the right tools for the rivets so had to cut the back a bit to use the tools. I've since got the right tools. I am experimenting with different designs and may try to sell them.

6. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

I actually tested the mag location since I carry it on the same side and this seemed to work best. We’ll see in the long run.

i got the Kydex at http://www.knifekits.com/. I’ve found other places to buy in different colors. I’m also looking for Concealex which comes in camo.

I heated it in the oven at 325 for about ten minutes. I then put it on the counter inbetween a yoga mat I cut up. Ya, my wife wasn’t to happy ‘bout that. I folded it over the gun and pressed down. I did reheat a few times and hand formed it.

I’ve got different different ideas for fancier holsters. It’s been fun.

7. Texas_XD

Texas_XD

Try using 2 small pcs of plywood, glue the foam to each side. I make my foam about 1 1/2" thick x 2, but I like more molded pistol detail. I use the foam camping mats from WalMart. Get a cheap heat gun <$10> from Harbor Freight and heat the Kydex till it's "floppy", fold over pistol, place on foam. Lay 2nd pc of wood on top then stand on it for a few minutes. I also use Chicago screws instead of rivets, then it makes it tension adj. Just some helpful advice.. I hope. ;) It should also keep peace in the house.. wives get so touchy about their ovens! :shocked:

8. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

If you haven't already done so, you should post this in the Carry Issues forum.

9. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

Thanks for the tips Tex. I've thought about the Chicago screws but there more pricey. I'm thinking of using a combination of them both using the Chicago screw for tension adjustments.

10. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Just curious... Any particular reason for the "half-moon" notch on the tip of your pistol holster?

[​IMG]

11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

I am still interested in finding out if the notch I am refering to was a "boo-boo" or if you put it there on purpose.
    :poke:

12. Texas_XD

Texas_XD

He may have done it thinking he needed it for sight clearance?

Most likely a boo-boo.. ;)

13. Retread

Retread I am what I am!

I asked him that question on Oct. 13th. He answered it on the following day.

14. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Oh man, I must be going blind!!
    Thanks for pointing it out to me.