GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jog my local greenway a couple of times per week. A few bicyclists, walkers, dog walkers, etc.. There are a few people who carry sticks while walking, presumably to fend off stray dogs. The path is paved and large enough for a car to drive on.

Yesterday, I approached a group of around 10-12 people walking slowly. Most were male, a couple of smaller kids and maybe a female or two. Because there were so many people grouped together, I decided to pass them on the grass to my left.

As I neared and veered to the left, I noticed one in the group was holding a machete in his right hand. I made my pass and kept going, keeping an eye out for any movement. And, I didn't see them again as I made my way back a few minutes later.

I thought it odd that someone would carry a machete in hand on the greenway. It seemed way out of place and made me wonder what the intent was. I guess I need to break out my belly band when I jog on this greenway from now on.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 852392
thin, light and reliable. the only time i jog without it is when i am on the basement treadmill
I'm strongly considering the DB9 gen 4 or an LCP II for jogging and pocket carry. After the encounter yesterday, I think I would prefer the 9mm DB9.

Or maybe my Glock 22 set up for USPSA Limited with extended base pads for 20+1 of .40 S&W.

·
Registered
20,665 Posts
What exactly is a greenway? I am sure we have them in FL but call them something else.

/

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess would be to clear a spot off the trail to hang out at.
No need to clear a spot off. Most areas of this Greenway have 5 - 10 feet of grassy area on either side of the paved trail. There are larger spots that have benches and even bigger areas with picnic tables.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,270 Posts
Tunebelt makes neoprene belt packs that are perfect for carrying a firearm while engaged in sporting activities.

https://www.tunebelt.com/tune-belt-classics/

If you are a bit portly they sell an extender to get around a bit of middle-aged spread.

I carry my 9mm, pocket pistol in one of above when riding a bike. Also carries my keys and ID. Nice to keep that stuff dry.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
No need to clear a spot off. Most areas of this Greenway have 5 - 10 feet of grassy area on either side of the paved trail. There are larger spots that have benches and even bigger areas with picnic tables.
I don't know the area, but I meant out of the way of random eyes. Hook up, drink, smoke, whatever.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
It’s interesting.

A guy carrying a machete strolling down a walking path generates concern.

But, we are told strolling that same path with an AR-15 needs to be thought of as acceptable behavior.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
It’s interesting.

A guy carrying a machete strolling down a walking path generates concern.

But, we are told strolling that same path with an AR-15 needs to be thought of as acceptable behavior.
Suspect that many areas allow concealed or open carry of firearms frown on big blades.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts